This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Arduino... Class?

edited July 2011 in Technology
I've always been really interested in playing around with Arduino, but I never pushed myself until now, because I'm taking a class called "Hacking Mobile Technology" this fall for my PhD coursework. One part of the syllabus is creating an installation (ie., displayable art/media piece), and I figured Arduino knowledge might really come in handy.

One of my local hacker/makerspaces -- Machine Project -- is having a 4 day (for three hours per day) class for $250. Is this worth the price?

More info here: http://machineproject.com/archive/classwork/2011/08/02/introduction-to-microcontrollers-with-arduino-2/

(In before "Just teach yourself.")

For those who don't want to click the link:

Class 1:
Setting up the Arduino hardware & software
The function and uses of a microcontroller
Overview of basic electronics
Reading Schematics
Overview of the Wiring/Processing language
Basic circuits using buttons, LEDs & piezo buzzers

Class 2:
Programming review
Basic sensor input (switches, knobs, & light sensors)
Controlling devices using sensor input
Introduction to transistors
Relays & controlling higher powered devices

Class 3:
Introduction to pulse width modulation (PWM)
Controlling DC & Servo motors with Arduino
Multiplexers and controlling many devices
Using Arduino with the Processing language (basic control of visuals &
sound on your laptop using sensor input)

Class 4:
Introduction to SPI Interfacing & I2C Interfacing with Arduino
Controlling digital potentiometers
Building an arduino audio sequencer
Other related technologies: bluetooth, OSC, other languages that can
be used with Arduino

Comments

• People seem batshit crazy over Arduino, but I've never understood why. Most of the stuff I've seen done with Arduino can be done with a few wires to some USB A2Ds and Python in short order.

I'm very interested to know what I'm missing, because I must be out of the loop somehow.
  • I really like arduino because you can do things like this:

As for the class, I dunno. I mean, aside from some of the stuff in classes 3 and 4, I've learned all of that just by fiddling and reading tutorials. You should just buy an arduino and try doing something. I first bought an arduino with the intention of making my RC car drift on it's own. After reading docs and just messing around, I learned how to interface with the ESC on the car, work servos, and read sensors.

With Arduino, you learn by doing. I don't think you really need that class.
  • As for the class, I dunno. I mean, aside from some of the stuff in classes 3 and 4, I've learned all of that just by fiddling and reading tutorials. You should just buy an arduino and try doing something. I first bought an arduino with the intention of making my RC car drift on it's own. After reading docs and just messing around, I learned how to interface with the ESC on the car, work servos, and read sensors.

But can it do this?
  • I really like arduino because you can do things like this:

As for the class, I dunno. I mean, aside from some of the stuff in classes 3 and 4, I've learned all of that just by fiddling and reading tutorials. You should just buy an arduino and try doing something. I first bought an arduino with the intention of making my RC car drift on it's own. After reading docs and just messing around, I learned how to interface with the ESC on the car, work servos, and read sensors.

Well, I also have minimal experience with electronics and minimal experience with programming (though I'm teaching myself Python this summer with some friends).
  • edited July 2011
    Well, I also have minimal experience with electronics and minimal experience with programming (though I'm teaching myself Python this summer with some friends).
    This is a fairly good point. I didn't think about either of these (it's easy to forget people interested in this type of thing don't already have experience with electronics or programming). Perhaps a class would be helpful, as long as those topics are actually covered with enough depth to make use of Arduino. It looks like Classes 1 and 2 do cover introduce basic electronics, and 2 and 3 do introduce some programming concepts.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • edited July 2011
    I was the same way. In fact, I didn't know any programming before I started, nor did I know much about electronics other than high level stuff (high level as in highly abstracted). Now I can read resistors and have learned enough using the arduino that I'm starting to learn python. Again, learn as you go.

Alex, if you want to meet me at that boardgaming meet-up tonight, I can bring one of my arduinos and some LEDs and stuff for you to borrow.

Here's the link so you dont have to dig through your facebook event stuff.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Do you get any take-home electronics for the $250 or is that just their teaching fee?
  • Do you get any take-home electronics for the $250 or is that just their teaching fee?
    It says all materials will be provided, but I actually don't know if we get to take them home (I really hope so). Maybe I'll email them to find out.
  • Hey folks, just to let you know that Adafruit is selling the remaining stock of their r2 Arduino Unos for a reduced price. They are functionally equivalent to the r3s, so grab them while you can!

Link