This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New frontrowcrew.com and Facebook

edited July 2011 in GeekNights
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GeekNights/221907231178049

Part of the frontrowcrew.com update is that it will be automatically posting new content to this Facebook page. We'll probably rarely, if ever, manually check the page for anything. However, automatically having content posted there can't hurt! We need 25 fans in order to get the url shortened to facebook.com/geeknights. So clicka clicka.

In related news here are some other things in store for the new frontrowcrew.com update.
  1. Wiki Shownotes - Finally! Powered by Github!
  2. Book Club Section
  3. Sections for all our video shows
  4. New better homepage
  5. No more annoying twitter re-posting of old shows
  6. A fan art section!
  7. Automatic forum/twitter/facebook posting of ALL new content.
  8. New improved navigation and archive pages.
And here are problems with the site that I am not doing right now.
  1. Things of the day with broken links
  2. Making the site more mobile friendly.
  3. Adding a flash player/HTML5 audio tag
If you have suggestions, now is the time while I work on this pretty much all weekend.

Comments

• I loved the tweets of old episodes! Unless you mean, it won't tweet the same old episode twice. Maybe add a Google Moderator for voting on show suggestions?
  • I clicked for the cause, are you looking for a generic html 5 audio player, I might have the code for one somewhere...
  • While you are updating stuff, you might as well fill in the about Scott section which currently doesn't exist.
  • While you are updating stuff, you might as well fill in the about Scott section which currently doesn't exist.
    Or just put a link to apreche.com at least.
  • If I ever meet the people who designed the Facebook API I'm going to beat the shit out of them.
  • If I ever meet the people who designed the Facebook API I'm going to beat the shit out of them.
    I've talked to people who make facebook games and they are in agreement with you.
  • Get on them Google Pluses yo! (seriously tho, get on them Google Pluses yo)
  • I quite like the tweeting of old random episodes. I listen to them when I see something I like.

It was because of one of these tweets that I listened to the Worst Podcast Contest results, and mentioned it here on the forum, and then a few other people joined in, and now you are doing the Worst Web Comic Contest. Keep it!
  • Ok, other people complain that it clutters up the Twitter feed too much. I guess I can keep them in and decrease the frequency to compromise.
    Google Plus is, by Google's admission, only for use by individuals in its current form. It'd be really wonky to try to make a Plus profile for an organization right now.
  • I figured they had their APIs up for people to make g+ stuff before those features go live.

What about making a separate feed? one for old shows, and one for new/other stuff?
    Google Plus is, by Google's admission, only for use by individuals in its current form. It'd be really wonky to try to make a Plus profile for an organization right now.
    Also, I don't have it yet.

Meanwhile, it took all fucking day to get this shit to work. I stopped to watch a movie, play some vidja games, and hit the grocery. But other than that, all fucking day. I got it, though. Fuck you Facebook API. I'm writing two blog posts about you! One is going to be complaining about how you, and others like you, suck. The other is going to be a 100% fully complete tutorial about how to do what I just did because no other single place on the Internet explains the entire thing step by step without leaving out any details.
  • What about making a separate feed? one for old shows, and one for new/other stuff?
    I though that existed already. For some reason I can't find the place where all of the feeds are listed though. I might be confusing it with the feed of random things of the day from the past.
  • If someone wants to be a hero, I have a job I need done.

The GeekNights logo on the Facebook page is not a square. Because of that, the thumbnail looks really stupid. Can someone make a square GeekNights Facebook image? I can provide assets if needed.

Thanks whoever does it.
  • You mean like this?

• You mean like this?

Yeah, only not squished, pixellated and with a white line on it.
  • The other is going to be a 100% fully complete tutorial about how to do what I just did because no other single place on the Internet explains the entire thing step by step without leaving out any details.
    Nice.

I always mean to do this when I run into such things, but I always save myself the effort because I figure such blog entries (where I would write them) would never be found by anyone anyway. One such project is setting up slapd for local account management without touching PAM for a common authentication medium for moinmoin, mercurial, git, and some other local services. It's been a pain finding one tutorial for that particular purpose. Once I figure it out, even if I blogged the process, I have a feeling web crawlers wouldn't hit it and it would have been for naught. Do you have any tips for people who might not already have link cred to post these kinds of tuts?
  • The GeekNights logo on the Facebook page is not a square. Because of that, the thumbnail looks really stupid. Can someone make a square GeekNights Facebook image?
    Will this one not suffice?
  • I can provide assets if needed.
    You should've just done it, and you'd have your thumbnail sooner.
    I like Snickety Snake's. But shouldn't it be the same font, and with the mic-dude?
  • You should've just done it, and you'd have your thumbnail sooner.
    I have to find the assets. Let me get them all in a zip file.
  • edited July 2011
    Wrong thread.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Re: making the site more mobile friendly

I didn't realize that the PAX forums had gone over to Vanilla. Haven't been there in months, but they fully support mobile browsing. I don't know if I would be in any rush to change over these forums as they seem bug free, even on mobile, but the PA implementation is pretty slick.
  • edited July 2011
    Re: making the site more mobile friendly

I didn't realize that the PAX forums had gone over to Vanilla. Haven't been there in months, but they fully support mobile browsing. I don't know if I would be in any rush to change over these forums as they seem bug free, even on mobile, but the PA implementation is pretty slick.
    Yeah, that's Vanilla 2. Glad Penny Arcade switched to it. I always wonder when people seem to take our suggestions if they actually got it from us, or if it was coincidental. I'll eventually switch to Vanilla 2. The main problem is that there are plugins in this Vanilla 1 installation that need to be supported by me writing code. For example, I need to write some code so that old quotes are styled properly. I also need to write a plugin to handle all of the video tags. Basically, lots of backwards compatibility handling for the screwed up data in our database. It may just be easier to use something like Google Refine. I would take the database offline, reformat everyone's post to be in a Vanilla 2-style format and then bring it back. Regardless, that is a project for another time.

Right now, I'm talking about frontrowcrew.com itself, and I don't have time to make it more mobile-friendly. For now you can just check the Facebook page or Twitter from your mobile apps, or deal with the unoptimized site in your mobile browser. It's really not so bad.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I like Snickety Snake's. But shouldn't it be the same font, and with the mic-dude?
    I just pulled the image from the podacst's master feed on iTunes. I agree, though; the mic-dude with the same font would make for a better thumbnail.
  • edited July 2011
    Here are all the GeekNights art assets. There aren't that many of them. Feel free to get creative with the SVGs. I'm excited to see if anyone comes up with anything at all, even if it's awful.

http://www.apreche.net/~apreche/geeknightsassets.zip
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2011
    I made 3* quick things. I like them, but I understand if you think they're stupid =P Also, tell me about changes that would lessen their stupid and Ill apply them.
    image image image
    Post edited by Aria on
  • The left one is bleh. The right one is going places. It's also obviously a little blurry around the spot where you removed the microphone guy. It's gotta be professional and slick. Not bad for less than an hour!
  • I whipped this one up for you. Not sure if you want "GeekNights" Spelled out or not, but I got the "GN" in there.
  • Alright. I wasn't gonna leave it like that, just wanted to know which idea you preferred to know which one to put effort into
    How is this?
  • edited July 2011
    Ima be honest, I kinda prefer Snickety's thing. Mind if I try and make my own version of the same concept?
    Edit: Also knowing the font would help
    Edit2: I got bored of waiting. This would be better with a font other than Comic Sans
    Post edited by Aria on