This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Xbox arcade games

edited July 2011 in Video Games
So I got the family xbox on rotation for a couple of weeks and am too lazy to listen to all of the previous episodes discussing various good games to be found on the arcade. o Forum, please advise as to which games are worth getting. I am mostly interested in platformers, shmups, and driving games. I already have Super Meatboy, n+, GalagaDX, Hydro Thunder, and PGR4.

Comments

• Take a look at Outland, it's sort of like if Ikaruga was an action platformer.
  • Despite the bad reviews, I loved Sonic 4: Episode 1. The Bosses are recycled, but the levels are fresh and solid, and I think 4 Zones is fair for $10 (though that price may have dropped since I bought it).
  • Pacman CE DX is the business.
  • Pacman CE DX is the business.
    We've only been saying that for a year or so!
  • I'm really only interested in From Dust.
    Get it on PC.
  • Clash of Heroes: Might and Magic.
  • Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie are fun games if you miss Mario 64 style platformers. They're not going to look super great as they're just graphical retouches of N64 games, but I still really like those games and it's easier than busting out an N64. For driving, I suggest Forza 3, Dirt 2(heard good things about 3 but haven't played it), and Grid. There are a million shmups on Xbox Live Arcade and all of them have demos, I can't be of much help there but it's easy to try before you buy.
    Get it on PC.
    Yeah, that's pretty much a given. Although, I don't see it on the Coming Soon steam listing.
    Get it on PC.
    Yeah, that's pretty much a given. Although, I don't see it on the Coming Soon steam listing.
    It's supposed to be same day XBLA and PC release. Could just be they aren't allowed to promote it prior to release on PC due to it being in the "Summer of Arcade."
  • Shadow Complex, Limbo, 'Splosion Man, and Braid for side-scrolling platforming. I'm sure there are many others.
  • Shadow Complex, Limbo, 'Splosion Man, and Braid for side-scrolling platforming. I'm sure there are many others.
  • Shadow Complex and 'Splosion Man are likely the best of Matt's list. Castlevania: SotN is the best on XBLA.
  • I still really enjoy Alien Hominid.
  • Shadow Complex and 'Splosion Man are likely the best of Matt's list. Castlevania: SotN is the best on XBLA.
    And Ms. Splosion Man just came out. Demo pretty good.
  • Props to them on the excellent naming of their sequel.
    Get it on PC.
    On Steam it mentions "3rd-party DRM: Ubisoft Online Service," is that the "you have to be online the whole time you're playing and if your internet so much as blinks an eye you're kicked out of your game" DRM?
  • From Dust looks really good in the Demo. I wonder if they have a "sandbox" mode? Cause that'd be awesome.
    Get it on PC.
    On Steam it mentions "3rd-party DRM: Ubisoft Online Service," is that the "you have to be online the whole time you're playing and if your internet so much as blinks an eye you're kicked out of your game" DRM?
    From what I've heard it does not have the "you always need to be connected to the internet to play" Ubisoft DRM. Only Driver: SF will have that apparently.
  • From Dust looks really good in the Demo. I wonder if they have a "sandbox" mode? Cause that'd be awesome.
    Played the demo on XBLA. This game isn't a sandbox in the usual sense people use when talking about video games. It's a literal sandbox. You pick up sand and move it around. You can also move water around. I might be inclined to call it a puzzle game, but if so the puzzles are so trivial that no human being who can manipulate the controller can possibly fail.