This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

American National Debt Crisis

167891012»

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Something like 5% of all people are psychopaths, though. It's just a fact of life that a large chunk of the population have no inbuilt empathy except that which they develop out of self-interest. You can't really help that.
    No, but if we can somehow empirically verify that someone is a psychopath, we can ban them from holding any political power. That may be discriminatory. but I have no personal problem with it. Also, if we round up enough of them, perhaps we can find out the cause and fix it?
    You can't really verify something like that empirically though. It's very easy for a human to fake being human :P
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • You can't really verify something like that empirically though. It's very easy for a human to fake being human :P
    Actually, they have tests. And even if you know you are being tested for psychopathy and try to fake it, the tests will still work. I don't know enough about psychiatry or psychology to say any more. That's just what I read somewhere on the Internets. *lump of salt*
  • Yeah it's called the Psychopathy Checklist, 20 items on it to determine if you're psycho.

Learnt that from NPR, there's just something about Ira Glass' voice... So hypnotic...
  • . So hypnotic...
    Soooo sexy... :-p I love "This American Life".
  • I can't stop thinking how this is somehow relevant to our situation. If it doesn't mean anything to you at least it's fucking awesome.
  • edited August 2011
    You can't really verify something like that empirically though. It's very easy for a human to fake being human :P
    Actually, they have tests. And even if you know you are being tested for psychopathy and try to fake it, the tests will still work. I don't know enough about psychiatry or psychology to say any more. That's just what I read somewhere on the Internets. *lump of salt*
    fMRI would do the trick. Emotional responses are registered in the amygdala. Show an image of another human suffering and watch the amygdala fire up (or not).

And if anyone wants a citation: I pulled that out of my ass. Feel free to investigate for yourself.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • Actually, they have tests. And even if you know you are being tested for psychopathy and try to fake it, the tests will still work.
    They look at involuntary pupil dilation. Called the Voight-Kampf test.
  • wow watching the debate and only Santorum and Huntsman were the only people who didn't want to destroy this country financially. (and Santorum is a douche)
  • I just found this article in Slashdot to be pretty interesting. It essentially states that, while knowing that a large amount of debt is not helpful to any economy, to little debt may also be just as disastrous.