This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Planes becoming cheaper, easier to make.

edited July 2011 in Technology
Researchers at the University of Southampton have successfully test flown the world’s first 3D-printed UAV. The plane is called the SULSA (Southampton University Laser Sintered Aircraft) and has a 6.5-foot wingspan and a nearly-100 mph top speed. It’s powered by an electric motor, the only part not rendered through 3D printing.

In addition to the standard benefits of rapid development and relatively inexpensive production owing to minimal manufacturing waste, the plane takes advantage of geodesic airframe structure, which allows for a very light and strong design, although the complexity causes it to be rarely used when normal manufacturing methods are involved. It becomes much easier when the framework can simply be built up layer-by-layer.

This may be just the first of many such research vehicles from the university, as it is launching a new Master’s degree in UAV design course of study.
Sources available here.

Comments

• UAVs aren't exactly difficult to construct now anyways...
  • I have an image now of a military 3d printer spitting out specialty UAV frames on demand at the front lines, Command and Conquer style.
  • edited August 2011
    I actually met a guy, a friend of my friend, who is an industrial designer working with his dad to develop really cheap kit airplanes. It's fascinating work.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I actually met a guy, a friend of my friend, who is and industrial designer working with his dad to develop really cheap kit airplanes. It's fascinating work.
    Ooooh, that's always something I wanted to try. That or a kit car or helicopter.
  • Some of the kit airplanes I've seen look really nice, but I don't think I'd have the time, skill, or space to put one together.
  • Ooooh, that's always something I wanted to try. That or a kit car or helicopter.
    Don't get me wrong, they are still quite expensive. In body shape, they follow more after vintage airplanes than the new ultralights.
  • edited August 2011
    I want one of these:

A friend of mine spent the last few months interning as a simulation designer involving this thing. I recall hearing/seeing that the next iteration of the craft will have a parachute that can extend and retract at the touch of a button.
    Post edited by Walker on