This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pirate Games?

edited September 2006 in Everything Else
So I played the new Sid Meier's Pirates on the xbox about a year ago. The game was fucking addictive. My guess was it was much better than the original. I just went around, got a whole bunch of ships and blew the shit out of every town that wasn't British and took everything over. Don't take that as you have to be on the British side because you don't have to be. In fact, it seems like they're were 4 or 5 different nations you could choose to side with. But yes, it was a very good game.

Now I'm going to download that for PC, plus I'm going to buy Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales. It came out the thirteenth, so I can't wait to get my hands on it. From what I've heard, it sounds like it's the best pirate based game out there.

Comments

• My computer was not good enough to handle the remake of Pirates.

Instead I make do with the original.
  • Gotta get me some of that Pirate action! Am I correct in assuming I can control an entire armarda of ships? Hot-frickin-damn!
  • edited September 2006
    I present: Redhook's Revenge!

This is the only pirate game that I've played that did not have Sid Meier's in front of the title. It's basically a digital board game, and it may be total crap. I played it a whole bunch back in my 4th grade shareware days, and I remember it quite fondly, but I've decided that isn't really a good measure of anything.

Good luck finding it, though. Abandonware repositories might be of some help, but since I first played it on a shareware compilation CD in the pre-internet stone age and the company that makes it is probably dead, it's a bit of a crap shoot.

Edit: there's also the pirate games tag on MobyGames if you're REALLY hard up for pirate game action. As I browse the list, I recall that Sea Dogs was not bad, as were Tropico and its sequel.
    Post edited by crowe on
  • How could we forget Puzzle Pirates?
  • How could we forget Puzzle Pirates?
    Wow. How did you forget Puzzle Pirates?
  • Speaking of Pirate games, how about a play based on one of the best pirate-based games made (from my experience), Monkey Island? And yes, I'm aware of some of the changed made to it (for those who know the game).
    [Part 1] [Part 2] [Part 3] [Part 4] [Part 5] [Part 6] [Part 7] [Part 7.5] [Part 8] [Part 9]
  • Sid Meier's Pirates. So damn addictive.
  • Speaking of Sid Meier's Pirates!, I played the new one yesterday and everything Scrym said about the older one applies to this. Everything. I'm not quite ready to stop, but I have gotten the hang of it and I can take over any other ship I want now. However, one thing kind of disappointed me about this game. There's no multiplayer whatsoever. If they were to make this game into an MMO, it might actually be one I might consider playing, assuming I didn't have to pay per month of course.