This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Red Orchestra 2

edited August 2011 in Video Games
Anyone else planning on getting this? I just pre-ordered on the cheap from Steam because I have the original (and I loved it). Tripwire is very PC friendly and this is going to enjoy some really nice mod support.
zzFSBVuD-Co

Comments

• I'm sorely tempted to pick up a copy. I loved RO when I played it the few times it was free, and if RO2 delivers half of what it's promising I'll be pretty happy. Cover system from the first person? Cool.
  • I just picked up Red Orchestra a few days ago... and I'm completely hooked now. I can only imagine how good RO2 is going to be.
  • Looks quite good from that video. The first video kind of worried me because it looked like they had gotten rid of one of my favorite little touches - having to "manually" recycle the bolt on bolt action rifles.
  • I just bought both. There should be a closed beta for digital deluxe purchasers within the next day or so.
  • nice! If you ever want to play a round of RO1, let me know.
  • Anyone else planning on getting this? I just pre-ordered on the cheap from Steam because I have the original (and I loved it). Tripwire is very PC friendly and this is going to enjoy some really nice mod support.
    I'm definitely planning on getting it, after seeing some gameplay. I'm into that sorta thing.
  • So the closed beta got unlocked last night for those who pre-ordered the digital deluxe version. There are some minor bugs, but the game is absolutely fantastic underneath. I've never fired digital firearms which felt so beefy and satisfying. The cover system is top notch and being able to deploy an MG almost anywhere is amazing.
  • I'm installing the beta now. Am excite.
  • I can't wait! How is the pace of play?
  • The game goes from "nothing is happening" to "fuck everything is happening" at the drop of a hat. I have a feeling this will be a much better game with clans and when people start enforcing and regulating mic use, like in Project Reality; right now every just sort of herp derps about.
  • What are the system requirements like?
  • So, I played a tank map. I was like, fuck yeah, getting to be a tank crew! Maybe I can drive for somebody or something! But, turns out, you can lock other people out of your vehicle and just play it like Battlefield, which everyone just does instead of teamwork.

I SERIOUSLY hope that is a server option...
  • play it like Battlefield, which everyone just does instead of teamwork.
    Why would you need teamwork? You already have enough points for all the unlocks, and once you have all the neat little toys, you don't need teammates.
  • You seriously do. It doesn't matter what unlocks you have, the game kills you just as fast if you are dicking around. Just three organized teammates can clear a whole building of herp derpers with rifles and grenades while everyone else is fucking about. A rifleman/machinegunner team can do terrible things from a vantage point. Coordinated assault guys are brutal. But other than a few examples of what had to be people playing in the same room, everyone has run around like idiots and the lack of team coordination is really disappointing.

Again, perhaps when clans start to become more entrenched, players will be forced to be better teammates to prevent horrible curbstomping.
  • I am thoroughly on the fence with this game. On one hand, it's definitely an evolution of RO, which is awesome. On the other hand, it seems like it's a bit less focused on teamwork and being "realistic". Single player tanks? Why would any tanker choose to do anything other than that, given the choice? Being forced to work together to produce a useful tank was one of the things I really liked about RO.

Does it still have limited slots per role? Can you steady your rifle on sandbags and things like that, still?
  • Does it still have limited slots per role? Can you steady your rifle on sandbags and things like that, still?
    Yes and yes. In fact the sticky cover system allows you to do a lot of really nifty stuff like reload a deployable MG from behind cover and blind fire your weapon.

You guys are faulting the game for what is really, at it's core, an issue with an expanding playerbase. RO2 has brought in a lot of new blood and they are struggling to learn how to play this game differently from CoD and BF. Give it some time. They will either adapt or go back to those games. Besides, this is just the beta. People are still learning the mechanics of the game.
  • edited September 2011
    You seriously do. It doesn't matter what unlocks you have, the game kills you just as fast if you are dicking around. Just three organized teammates can clear a whole building of herp derpers with rifles and grenades while everyone else is fucking about. A rifleman/machinegunner team can do terrible things from a vantage point. Coordinated assault guys are brutal. But other than a few examples of what had to be people playing in the same room, everyone has run around like idiots and the lack of team coordination is really disappointing.
    I was taking the piss. The unlocks are some serious crazy fucking bullshit, but they're not quite that bad. That said, they're pretty fucking bad - I was barely holding off three enemy troops just yesterday, and having a real hard time of it, if I hadn't had an uninvolved sniper nearby to spawn on, I'd have failed immediately. Eventually managed to gun one down by sheer dumb luck - I caught him before he'd run back to his medic for a health-kit, and I'd already hit him some on the previous life - so I threw down my ammo pack and picked up his bush-wookie kit - pretty much immediately, I started tearing them to bits with the greatest of ease. Not only did I keep them from using that path to flank us, I pushed the three them all the way back into their main "Base", right near the second lot of M-com stations. Apparently, I had them beat for sheer skill, but with only the basic kit, I simply could not compete.

Seriously, don't believe what I'm saying here, start a new soldier, so you're forced to do without all the fancy kit and perks - first thing I suggest you do, is get used to dying far more than you're used to. If you're lucky, you have the SA kits, and it's not quite as bad, but still pretty fucked up.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • This game suffers mightily from a plague of CoD Blops kids relying on being able to run into a room and hip-fire. Squad leader positions are almost never taken, and commanders almost never know what they're doing. I can't wait until this is out and stable and I have a home server on which to build a strategic play group. You really have to adjust your pace of play to be far more cautious and deliberate, and for now no one knows the maps and just charges to the nearest cover. I think I've had a squadmate spawn on me as leader only one or two times.

And even though this is the Red Orchestra thread, I'll say this about Battlefield BC2 unlocks: The starting recon rifle is better than the final unlock, the best engineer unlock happens at like level 5, the best assault rife is the first unlock, the unbuffed medkit range is so big that within 15 seconds of holding a place you can lay down 10 meters of coverage, and the only good unlocks that you have to really wait for are the magnum ammo (level 15 or 16) and the red-dot medic machinegun. All your other success will be determined by how well you know the maps, how often you pick a squad that doesn't all go recon and hide in the mountains, and how much your team is willing to use the spot key.
  • edited September 2011
    I could definitely be into this...

I'm downloading the beta now. Anyone want to game on this slightly overcast Labor Day?

UPDATE: Nevermind. The beta is way too buggy to play.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited September 2011
    The starting recon rifle is better than the final unlock
    Marginally. But it's not better than the GOL sniper Magnum that everyone actually uses, which has higher base damage, extremely reduced damage drop-off(but not as much as the final unlock, admittedly), is more accurate over range(same again), and doesn't have nearly the bullet drop that you get with the M24(same again). Not to mention, by then, you also have the perks for Upgraded bullet damage and upgraded zoom(which, let's face it, every bush wookie takes), the practical upshot of which is that you can drop someone with two meatshots from outside the useful range of the M24. The same goes along with the rest of the unlock weapons - most of them are better than the weapons at the lower end, and then when combined with the perks that come along at higher levels, it's hard to compete.

The unbuffed medkit range is nowhere near ten meters, that's complete bollocks - it's 3.5M unbuffed, and 7M buffed. Considering the recharge time, in 15 seconds, you can have 7 M if you're quick, but more likely 3.5M. The MG36 LMG is not the best medic gun, merely one of the two more accurate ones, and even then, it's not great without the unlock for improved accuracy. The Ankban and the AUG are both better at what the XM8 does, than the XM8 is. You may get the repair gun at about level four or five(I assume you're mis-remembering, since the unlocks around level five are not terribly impressive or useful), but the much better unlocks come later on, in the form of far more powerful SMGs, and the Charlie G/AT4 rocket launchers.
    All your other success will be determined by how well you know the maps, how often you pick a squad that doesn't all go recon and hide in the mountains, and how much your team is willing to use the spot key.
    I know the maps like the backs of my hands - I should, I've gone and died on every inch of them - if my squad is going all recon, I'll abandon them instantly for another squad, and I will spot goddamn everything I see, and encourage my teammates to do the same (usually, "You get points for unlocks if you spot people, and someone kills them" works very well). I do literally every single possible thing - other than just pouring hundreds of hours into BFBC2 - that I can do to gain an advantage, and it means literally nothing. And of course, I provide the anecdotal evidence that every time I pick up a higher-level kit, I'm suddenly 60% more effective - as to the previous example, going from being able to do nothing more than harass and slow the advance of three higher level troops, picking up one of their kits, and then suddenly being rapidly able to push them all the way back to the area they were meant to be defending?

I'd credit them with a baited ambush, but BFBC2 players...not that clever. You can barely get it into people's heads that it might be slightly more effective to take off with more than one person in the vehicle, or sticking together with your squad after you use them as a convenient spawning point, let alone crediting them with even a semblance of basic strategy or tactics.

It's so frustrating that if there was some way to just PAY for all the unlocks, have them immediately, and be able to just get on with the game, I'd buy it, even if it was five bucks - and considering that I won't even spend the 49 cents it would cost me to get TF2 premium, and I'm absolutely against spending a single cent in pretty much every other micro-transaction game, that's definitely something.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • FUUUUUUU This game is so good.
  • I'm coming for you, Ivan.
  • They really need to fix the mapvote screen because not nearly enough servers are running CP_grainelevator.
  • I am constantly floored by the quality of maps. Grain Elevator is fantastic. The new set of maps released are fantastically detailed and complex.
    Barracks can just be a meat grinder.
  • Anyone still playing this? I've never had so much fun playing a broken buggy pile of crap before.
  • I have it installed, and I drop into a match every one in a while. It's really fun, but way too buggy. Are they going to polish it up at all?
  • I have it installed, and I drop into a match every one in a while. It's really fun, but way too buggy. Are they going to polish it up at all?
    I think so, Tripwire has a history of tweaking and polishing their games after release.
  • Now that battlefield is in beta, the RO2 servers are better than ever, join me as [29.FkR]StatutoryApe.