This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Things You Did For A Con

2»

Comments

• Just sayjin.
  • Not in every state.
    Who cares about states? We're talking about the country, not some silly state. Do you want us to talk about differing guidelines between committees of different towns next?
    They may be silly, but 3 U.S. states have a greater GDP than your country, and 4 of them have more people.
  • Who cares about states? We're talking about the country, not some silly state. Do you want us to talk about differing guidelines between committees of different towns next?
    Our states are more like countries than you'd think.
  • Our states are more like countries than you'd think.
    They're bigger than many countries.
  • And I'm going to the EJC TODAY!!! WOOOT!!! I take the train down to Munich this afternoon. This will be my 11th EJC in a row. It's 9 days of awesome, 10 years after my first.
    Nine days! And we thought that four day conventions were long.
    The World Boardgaming Championships in Lancaster, PA are 9 days as well. It's not really my type of convention, though. I can get into the old-school Avalon Hill style wargaming, but the crowd there has a median age past middle-aged. Not to say gaming with the old-schoolers can't be fun, but it wouldn't be my picture of a perfect con weekend.
  • My first convention was when I was a senior in high school. Me and a friend had just gotten our driving licenses, and we drove from Jersey down to a suburb of Baltimore for a horror convention. Horrorfind weekend I believe it was, to see the Evil Dead cast reunion and experience con culture in general. I remember it being a bit of a crazy weekend solely for the fact that we were experiencing everyhting for the first time, and having to work hard to get there, but I don't think there were even any noteworthy stories about it or us doing crazy things to make con weekend happen. This has been a useless post.
  • The World Boardgaming Championships in Lancaster, PA are 9 days as well. It's not really my type of convention, though. I can get into the old-school Avalon Hill style wargaming, but the crowd there has a median age past middle-aged. Not to say gaming with the old-schoolers can't be fun, but it wouldn't be my picture of a perfect con weekend.
    I have avoided this event for the same reasons. I don't think it's even fair for it to call itself the world board game championships. Scrabble, Monopoly, Chess, etc. all have separate championships and they probably don't even know this event exists. Do they really have international regional tournaments feeding competitors into Lancaster? I didn't think so.
  • The World Boardgaming Championships in Lancaster, PA are 9 days as well. It's not really my type of convention, though. I can get into the old-school Avalon Hill style wargaming, but the crowd there has a median age past middle-aged. Not to say gaming with the old-schoolers can't be fun, but it wouldn't be my picture of a perfect con weekend.
    I have avoided this event for the same reasons. I don't think it's even fair for it to call itself the world board game championships. Scrabble, Monopoly, Chess, etc. all have separate championships and they probably don't even know this event exists. Do they really have international regional tournaments feeding competitors into Lancaster? I didn't think so.
    From my loose understanding of the con, that whole monicker came about when Avalon Hill actually ran the show. Since almost all of the tournmanents were focused around their games, and since publishers usually get de facto first crack to set up their own "world championships" for the games they publish, it made sense. Now Avalon Hill doesn't even exist anymore outside of being a WotC imprint, the games played at WBC are of a broader variety, and the whole thing just doesn't make any sense.

Plus, how could you even claim to have a world championship in PA at the same time as Gen Con? I'm not a huge fan of that con either but I totally understand the appeal, and it's gotta pull away some of the best talent.
  • Our states are more like countries than you'd think.
    We've been over that before. The states are indeed just countries, they're just desperate to have a sugar daddy they can blame everything on.
    They're bigger than many countries.
    Which doesn't make it surprising that people in one state are completely different cunts from those in the next state over.