This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doom 3 to go Open Source

edited August 2011 in Technology
Linky
Hopefully this really injects linux gaming with some life.

Comments

• I love how things like this are "news".

Id has open sourced every engine they've made when they released their next engine. Doom was open sourced when Quake came out. Quake was open sourced when Quake 2 came out, and so on. When Rage was announced I though "oh, I guess Doom 3 will be open source now." It's the same with OMG new iPods in September! There are ALWAYS new iPods in September for back to school season.

Borderlands 2 was another one. It was leaked and the developer got pissed and then officially announced it soon after. Hello, I could have told you months ago that there would be a Borderlands 2, it's obvious. Here are some other things that are true, but haven't been officially announced.

When Blu-Ray is dead, and digital downloading is the only game in town, you will be able to pay to download the Star Wars movies.

At some point someone is going to make an official MLP:FiM comic book.

You know those D+D-ish dungeony games like Ravenloft and Ashardalon? They're going to make another one.

Mac OS 11, it will definitely happen. It will probably replace both iOS and OSX.
  • You also forgot the one where you are a dick.
  • You also forgot the one where you are a dick.
    I'm pretty sure that's been officially announced.
  • I'm pretty sure that's been officially announced.
  • Hopefully this really injects linux gaming with some life.
    Did you miss the part where it's just Doom 3? The game which already has counterparts (arguably slightly worse, but then again, it's Doom) on Linux. My prediction, nothing will change.
  • Hopefully this really injects linux gaming with some life.
    Did you miss the part where it's just Doom 3? The game which already has counterparts (arguably slightly worse, but then again, it's Doom) on Linux. My prediction, nothing will change.
    I have to also wonder what gaming this will inject into Linux. However, I also kinda look at classic FPS as The Same Damned Game with new paint. Games like Battlefield and other FPS that border on simulation are far more interesting.

Did Doom 3 do something novel besides being a classic FPS with better graphics? Are the graphics even released as part of the open source? I think the biggest problem with most games on Linux and such is that there isn't professional art or design, so they lack polish. The code seems to be all there.