This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Counter-Strike Global Offensive

Comments

• Right? If my roommate weren't in the shower the whole time, I'm pretty sure he'd be pissed at how loudly I was yelling "FUCK" when it came down to the wire. This match came down to me and one other guy, but the last Arms Race before this one had me and 4 other guys (all of us Terrorists, mind you) at golden knife. So much fun, so fucking intense.
  • If I get to Golden Knife and there's just one other dude at that level, I'll often try to meet him somewhere and have our 50% chance of victory duel.
  • If I get to Golden Knife and there's just one other dude at that level, I'll often try to meet him somewhere and have our 50% chance of victory duel.
    I always lose that duel. Knife skills low.
  • I'm just going to buy a 10 slot private server since Rym can not be trusted to make it work. Also, it will run 24/7 perfectly, where Rym wants to use his HTPC which will stop running the game at times. What is the best game server host?
  • I know nothing of servers, but I actually couldn't figure out how to just try to join group peoples steam games. I could message people and ask for an invite or something, but I really just wanted to see if slots were free where any of you were playing.
  • I'm waiting until the real release for a dedicated server.
    Is it still a test of who's mastered the art of not striking the opponent on your screen, but the invisible phantom representing where the server thinks he is at that moment?

Because, fuck that with a bag of nails.

Is it still a test of who's mastered the art of not striking the opponent on your screen, but the invisible phantom representing where the server thinks he is at that moment?

That's only true if your lag is crazy or if you are playing an old version of CS: Source with broken hitboxes. If you play a modern game with no(low) lag, you have to shoot the person you see. You also have to take into account that the game is fast and bullets don't move at the speed of light. If someone is moving, there is a little bit of leading, but not much. Mostly just click on the heads.
  • edited August 2012
    I'm just going to buy a 10 slot private server since Rym can not be trusted to make it work. Also, it will run 24/7 perfectly, where Rym wants to use his HTPC which will stop running the game at times. What is the best game server host?
    I hear EO reality is pretty good, I've got a few mates that host with them, they've never had any problems. There is probably someone cheaper, but it's a start. I'll ask around.
    If I get to Golden Knife and there's just one other dude at that level, I'll often try to meet him somewhere and have our 50% chance of victory duel.

I'm from outside the US, and most of my mates who like to play live in the US. It's a skill you must master, my young padawan.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Played classic ZM on lila_panic, same skins and textures as Source but adapted for go. It was... well as you'd expect it. Wasn't impressed until I saw that article, now I have hope.

• I also want to say that I love how they got the economy exactly right in CS:GO. Money didn't matter too much in the other games. First round would be pistol round. Every other round you could buy whatever you wanted, even if you lost. In CS:GO you actually have to think about money. The bad part of this is it gives a slight momentum to the team that wins early rounds, but that's sort of how it's supposed to be.
    Have you ever even seen competitive 1.6 or Source matches? The economy is vital. If you lose the pistol round in 1.6, you're pretty much forced to play two 'economy' rounds where you basically buy nothing. Losing the pistol round in 1.6 will, more often than not, lose you the first 3 rounds. In Source it's a bit easier - the deagle was buffed considerably, so some teams would use a 'deco' round (an eco round with one to three deagles). Because the deagle was so strong in Source, you could often get a kill and pick up an AK or Colt in rounds 2 or 3.

Managing your team's economy in 1.6 or Source is almost as much of a component as aim in competitive matches; you might only be noticing it now in CSGO because it's forced 5v5. On large CS:S servers, it wasn't much of an issue because you could always get at least one or two kills, or grab someone's gun.
  • edited August 2012
    Wait, Testing a skill other than headclicking? Baby game.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Scott never really scrimmed much in 1.6 or source. He was primarily a pubbie. ;^)
  • Scott never really scrimmed much in 1.6 or source. He was primarily a pubbie. ;^)
    And you weren't? You haven't played a game for srs since Quake.
  • Man, I haven't played for keeps since I used to hang out in internet cafes, I'm not gonna say shit about his pubbin'.

• I'm kinda excited for what comes out when the T and CT models are added to SFM, in terms of fanworks.
  • edited August 2012
    I'm not ready to totally embarrass myself in a live match just yet. So I've been playing against bots. Did the hostage and arms race match. Arms race is way fun. Hostage was okay it's probably a lot more fun playing with live players. So far I'm liking the game quite a bit.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I'm not ready to totally embarrass myself in a live match just yet. So I've been playing against bots. Did the hostage and arms race match. Arms race is way fun. Hostage was okay it's probably a lot more fun playing with live players. So far I'm liking the game quite a bit.
    There's no embarassing yourself. Also, playing bots will not prepare you for real players. Much like the game of Go, you must play and lose many times before you can win.
  • I'm not ready to totally embarrass myself in a live match just yet. So I've been playing against bots. Did the hostage and arms race match. Arms race is way fun. Hostage was okay it's probably a lot more fun playing with live players. So far I'm liking the game quite a bit.
    There's no embarassing yourself. Also, playing bots will not prepare you for real players. Much like the game of Go, you must play and lose many times before you can win.
    Bots will not prepare for real game, but I think that they can be used as a target practice. It's kinda hard to learn to aim in real match where you die really fast in firefight. But I agree with Scott in that there is no reason to stick to bot games and avoid real people. I'm totally horrible at the game and still play with and against real people.

On unrelated note I like the feature where if there is bots filling the empty slots in the server, if you die and a bot is still alive you can take control of that bot. Might make it so that if you die first and fast in round you are not stuck being passive watcher if there's still bots alive.

• edited August 2012
    I do play bot matches, but it's not about learning against other players - It's about practicing other skills, like listening, sharpening snap-accuracy(I have a bad habit of twitching my hand when I'm surprised), and map knowledge. It's no fun to learn the maps by just wandering around with no players, and the bots better simulate game conditions - gives you something to watch out for.

Do not use them to prepare for other players, but using them to hone your other skills is perfectly fine.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I didn't realize you could play with just bots. I have a bad habit of panicking when getting fired upon and aiming for the chest instead of the head. Might be good way to practice breaking that.
  • edited August 2012
    Love using incendiary grenades. To keep the other team on edge. I also notice I'm panicking in tight places. Trying to sharpen up using the pistol more than I have before.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Love using incendiary grenades. To keep the other team on edge. I also notice I'm panicking in tight places. Trying to sharpen up using the pistol more than I have before.
    I did pretty well with one in demolition mode last night - the other team was stacked up trying to get through a window, so I just dropped it right in the middle of them.
  • That looks like the Nuclear map, which is by far the maps I've played the most. So much so that I'm not sure if my current competence at CS:S is down to my skills with headclicking or just knowing exactly where to click almost before the enemy has arrived yet or not.

• Yeah so, after about a half hour of target practice with the bots last night, suddenly I started owning.
  • Yeah so, after about a half hour of target practice with the bots last night, suddenly I started owning.
    I had that moment just a minute ago - I was getting stomped at arms race, then suddenly, out of nowhere, I became oddly competent and managed to win a round.

Also, I've been getting a small bug where the team select screen will pop up over the server message, and you have to either quit, or memorize where the "Go!" button pops up on your screen to get past it.
  • That keeps happening to me. Trying to click where the Go button is doesn't always work for me, though :/
  • Played some Offensive in World Wide Range. In the end wasn't completely useless to my team. Got some kills, as a terrorist got a bombing. Felt decently good.

On less favorable news, I was for the first time ever, kicked out of CS server. Because of random headshot. On a team mate.