This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Counter-Strike Global Offensive

Comments

• Sure if I want to be truly great in CS I have to know and learn all the guns and how to use them. But truth be told, I will probably never been truly great at CS and besides is it wrong that I prioritice learning other elements of the game rather than shooting things with all the guns. I like to focus on positioning, tactics, where and when to use nades and other elements of the game that aren't just head clicks.

It's nice that you want to learn those other parts of the game, but most of the game is head clicks. Think of ice hockey. Most of ice hockey is, well, playing hockey. Penalty shots are a minor part of the game. Practicing all those other parts of Counter-Strike is like only practicing penalty shots for hockey.
    I'd say that it's more like I'm practicing skating and positions and little bit passing while leaving shooting goals to lesser focus.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

- Wayne Gretzky
    I totally take shots if I get chance, but this was about me not playing gun game which is like shot taking training camp. I have gotten kills in my games you know.

• You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

- Wayne Gretzky
    "Fuckin' babysitting Gretsky again? Jesus christ, pussy-ass fucker needs to learn to take a hit." - Dave Brown, Enforcer for the Oilers.

• You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

- Wayne Gretzky
    "Fuckin' babysitting Gretsky again? Jesus christ, pussy-ass fucker needs to learn to take a hit." - Dave Brown, Enforcer for the Oilers.

ungrateful 99%er can't be grateful for the benevolent leadership of the elite.
  • Just ran 33.3 on weaps course. I could probably get sub-30 if I practiced.
  • I got 28.3 on the weapons course, but I did do a fair amount of practice and was determined to beat the other forumites.
  • I've only played with two of you assholes yet you're all chit chattin about the game constantly. What gives? Gotta get more frc games going.
  • I've only played with two of you assholes yet you're all chit chattin about the game constantly. What gives? Gotta get more frc games going.
    Someone forgot it's PAX season.
  • I'll accept that as an excuse for you and Rym.
    I you would play at reasonable times instead of when I'm watching anime just before going to bed, I might play with you.

• PST time man. Also I usually don't get home until 6-6:30. It was never meant to be.
  • i'm usually online 9 - 10ish weekdays PST.
  • 33.1 on the gun course
  • Did Rym or Scott ever get a hosted server or whatever?
  • I'd take a guess and say that it will happen some time after Pax. Not sure which Pax though, Pax east 2015 maybe?
  • edited August 2012
    It will happen post-PAX. In other words, it will be done in the post-apocalypse.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I am starting to suck less. I finally killed some people with the shitty shotguns.
  • This works for me, but I'm totally unused to the maps. Normally I've played on a single map server, so I'm just running about like an idiot. And my mouse is broken. TF2 is possible to play with a track pad, but CS:GO isn't.
  • I have a question regarding mouse settings. Is it recommended to have enhance pointer precision turned off? What about the in-game setting of mouse acceleration does that do the same thing has enhance pointer precision and should I kept that off as well?
  • I have a question regarding mouse settings. Is it recommended to have enhance pointer precision turned off? What about the in-game setting of mouse acceleration does that do the same thing has enhance pointer precision and should I kept that off as well?
    You have to appropriately combine the settings with whatever your mouse and mouse driver do.
  • I have to say, the horrible first experience I had with CS:GO may have been a fluke. The majority of players I've come across since then have been pretty cool, and I'm liking this game more and more.

Still can't hit anything with the shotguns, though. P90 is best gun.
  • Not that I give a shit about what any magazine or web site says in their review of a game, but something interesting is happening. Apparently one topic in many reviews, done by people who are not CS players is why there are no iron sights, and that is a negative point against the game.

Uh, it's CounterStrike. Asking why there are no iron sights is like asking why major league baseball 2.0 doesn't use metal bats. Little League uses them!

Some reviews also point out as a negative that CS:GO doesn't do anything new. Uh, it didn't set out to do anything new. It set out to take the exact same game as the old CounterStrike and just update the graphics for modern computers. You know, like when they came out with Metroid: Prime Trilogy for the Wii or Shadow of the Colossus HD.

We all know the whole video game journalism thing is just awful, but this is beyond awful. People who get paid to do this stuff as their only job can't even understand this basic concept.
  • edited August 2012
    Remakes of A+ games often get A+ scores, so why wouldn't CS:GO? That's just inconsistent.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Only things I've seen about CS:GO have been Rock Paper Shotgun's arctile that basically said that it's CS and half of Giant bomb's quick look that seemed to say that it's CS.

I'm not trying to say that complaining about lack of iron sight is good thing, but I think that it's reasonable to look game that has come out in 2012 next to other modern games. Not that CS is or tries to be similar to something like CoD, but in many ways they are competitors in multiplayer fps market.
  • Saying that the game brings nothing new in a review is legit. It's not a negative or positive comment in and of itself, but it does tell some possible readers something that may be of use.
  • So I'm a few more hours in. I'm semi-competent now with all the guns. Won a few gun-games. Fiddling with my mouse settings today vastly improved my game. I still end up heavily prefering tactical kills to trying to click heads at super speed, but some of the situations force it. I'm also still strictly playing gun game.
  • edited August 2012
    Uh, it's CounterStrike. Asking why there are no iron sights is like asking why major league baseball 2.0 doesn't use metal bats. Little League uses them!
    The reasoning is in fact very similar - of course, that in Major League Baseball, players with metal bats can fire line drives that move fast enough to be lethal to infielders. And, similarly, If you put Iron sights in counterstrike, the amount of whinging and whining would in fact be lethal.

And naturally, You assumed it was a skill thing, and not a combination of Tradition - I recall a smart man once said that staying with something just because of tradition and ignoring advancing technology because of it is monumentally stupid, but that's another story - and safety.
    Some reviews also point out as a negative that CS:GO doesn't do anything new.
    The more hilarious reviews are the G4 reviews - which both in the article and in the bullet points cited the new modes as a great addition to the game, and then as a negative say that there is nothing new added to the game.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Playing some of this tonight now that I'm at RIT and have the fast Internets.
  • A lot of people on /vg/ where crying about no iron sights. I couldn't tell if they were trolling or just stupid. Seems like a "Little of column A, little of column B" situation.
  • /vg/? After spending time in their Dota generals I don't trust anything they say. Tsundre drow ranger pics make up for it.

You just gotta be good at figuring out who's a dense motherfucker and who actually knows what they're talking about. It's a fun mess to untangle, and thankfully no one is afraid to pile on to each other if someone is wrong or being a faggot.