This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Counter-Strike Global Offensive

Comments

• /vg/ is pretty good for constant low-level talk about a game (at least, better than Something Awful). The DotA community sucks, I wouldn't base my opinion of bread on a DotA fan. :3
  • I wish someone would bring back COD2 iron sighting. Though I still think Farcry 2 had one of the best recent setups as far as aiming goes.
  • I don't understand the point of iron sights. There is a crosshair on the screen. Rifles with scopes have scopes. What is the benefit of pressing a button to make the gun model take up most of the screen?
  • You also have to realize VG journalists don't play games competitively, half the time they play the game until they get to a feel to what the game is. Half the time they don't even go and beat the game since they are on a hard deadline to give a review.

Sadly I meet a few of them and can easily tell you they are not gamers anymore, they are critics who lost their gamer touch.
  • Iron sites are all about "realism" and verisimilitude. You don't have green crosshairs hovering in the middle of your view in "real life" so they are naturally worse and less immersive, visceral, compelling, innovative or any other word that mean "I like it because I don't have to try hard to understand it" in games journalism.
  • Iron sites are all about "realism" and verisimilitude. You don't have green crosshairs hovering in the middle of your view in "real life" so they are naturally worse and less immersive, visceral, compelling, innovative or any other word that mean "I like it because I don't have to try hard to understand it" in games journalism.
    Counter-Strike isn't attempting to be a real world simulation. Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism is just the theme of the game the way that hell on Mars is the theme of Doom. It's really just a multiplayer action game, like Quake, only with less rockets and more automatic weapons.
  • No one said that CS should have iron sights.
    Some people on Twitter said that some people who review video games for a living said it.
    Some people on Twitter said that some people who review video games for a living said it.

• Whatever can we do to people with opinions that we don't agree with. I say let's lynch them all.
  • edited August 2012
    Whatever can we do to people with opinions that we don't agree with. I say let's lynch them all.
    Well, people who derive credibility and social capital from a purported expertise in games shouldn't go around dismissing mechanics of long standing, wildly popular competitive games just because they don't understand them or because they are not immediately clear to a disinterested observer. I mean, you'd never see something like that around here, would you?

Post edited by DevilUknow on

I lol'ed
  • I had a few games at Arms Race. It's really good fun!

My problem is that as soon as I got up to 14 or 15 kills, I got no more. This happened a number of different times on different servers against different players. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with my mouse being broken, and while I can run around okay without using my right mouse button for "run" and using "w" instead, "w" was usually my secondary function key. Now I've put it over on "t", and once I get to the rifle stage I'm just not quick enough to swap in and out of aiming. Or something.

Or maybe I'm just shit.
  • I had a few games at Arms Race. It's really good fun!

My problem is that as soon as I got up to 14 or 15 kills, I got no more. This happened a number of different times on different servers against different players. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with my mouse being broken, and while I can run around okay without using my right mouse button for "run" and using "w" instead, "w" was usually my secondary function key. Now I've put it over on "t", and once I get to the rifle stage I'm just not quick enough to swap in and out of aiming. Or something.

Or maybe I'm just shit.
    I can't get past the shotguns just out of pure suckage. These maps it's very hard to get close enough to someone to do well with them.
  • I can join you on a server and I can show you how much I suck, if you want.
  • Tried demolition mode earlier today and it was kinda cool, but still like classic the best. Also I'm not sure if it's the playerbase of the mod or just issue on that one server, but people didn't know how to walk. Footsteps everywhere, all day. Had I decent aim I would had some nice killing streaks. Now I got just couple of leg shots before I got killed.
  • edited August 2012
    The sawed off is a bit tricky (Mostly because it's slow) but the other ones you just like blast in their direction and you can usually get them pretty easy.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • First full game of demolition. Our team won. I really don't like the weapon selection, as I got up to the handgun this time, and then couldn't hit anything. I didn't know the map, but it was small and fun.

However, I can confirm, Scott sucks at about the same level as I do.
  • First full game of demolition. Our team won. I really don't like the weapon selection, as I got up to the handgun this time, and then couldn't hit anything. I didn't know the map, but it was small and fun.

However, I can confirm, Scott sucks at about the same level as I do.
    I do not understand how a person can do something for 12 years and still suck at it. What makes it even crazier is that the person is me.
  • I've play CS for a combined total of about 50 hours and on the full game I had as many kills. What have you been doing for 12 years?
  • I've play CS for a combined total of about 50 hours and on the full game I had as many kills. What have you been doing for 12 years?
    Trying to click on people's heads before they click on my head.
  • edited August 2012
    I've play CS for a combined total of about 50 hours and on the full game I had as many kills. What have you been doing for 12 years?
    And the other ten years bragging.

Piss-taking aside, there's your problem. CS tests more skills than just headclicking, man! Come on, shotgun round is easy mode, you just gotta get up in people's faces - I mean, I'm piss-weak at CS, and it's still the easier bit of Arms Race - 8 games outta ten, I'm at least hitting the last of the machine-gun rounds or pistol rounds.

Post edited by Churba on
    And the other ten years bragging.

Piss-taking aside, there's your problem. CS tests more skills than just headclicking, man! Come on, shotgun round is easy mode, you just gotta get up in people's faces - I mean, I'm piss-weak at CS, and it's still the easier bit of Arms Race - 8 games outta ten, I'm at least hitting the last of the machine-gun rounds or pistol rounds.

I think my thing is I am relatively good at killing people. I actually don't get that many headshots, although I try. I do get kills just by hitting people in other parts of the body. My main problem is I am extremely bad at not dying. I am such an easy kill I don't often stay alive long enough to do my damage.

One piece of evidence to support this my stats when teams are stacked. If teams are stacked against me, as expected, I die a lot without killing anyone very much. When teams are stacked in my favor, as in my teammates are good, you would expect that I would survive, but my kills would stay low because the quality teammates get all the kills. What actually happens is I end up being second or third best on the team due to the support keeping me from dying so quickly.
  • I think my thing is I am relatively good at killing people. I actually don't get that many headshots, although I try. I do get kills just by hitting people in other parts of the body. My main problem is I am extremely bad at not dying. I am such an easy kill I don't often stay alive long enough to do my damage.

One piece of evidence to support this my stats when teams are stacked. If teams are stacked against me, as expected, I die a lot without killing anyone very much. When teams are stacked in my favor, as in my teammates are good, you would expect that I would survive, but my kills would stay low because the quality teammates get all the kills. What actually happens is I end up being second or third best on the team due to the support keeping me from dying so quickly.
    I've noticed the same whenever I'm hacing a good day when I got kills and don't die instantly it's usually when my teammates have high K/D ratios and when opponent team has all heavy hitters I die fast. But I'm not sure if it's the case of your team being better, but rather because members of other team suck.

• I think my thing is I am relatively good at killing people. I actually don't get that many headshots, although I try. I do get kills just by hitting people in other parts of the body. My main problem is I am extremely bad at not dying. I am such an easy kill I don't often stay alive long enough to do my damage.

I've noticed the same whenever I'm hacing a good day when I got kills and don't die instantly it's usually when my teammates have high K/D ratios and when opponent team has all heavy hitters I die fast. But I'm not sure if it's the case of your team being better, but rather because members of other team suck.

There is that factor. Still, I am quote capable of killing people if I am not dead. In CS:Source I would almost win gungame sometimes by finding parts of the map to avoid attention or surprise people. The official arms race maps are sort of annoying as they are larger than icyworld, but still very small. It doesn't give me a lot of room to move around. My typical style of play in CS was always to circle around back and surprise everybody. Secret aztec stairs, secret window in the back of office, italy window path, etc.
  • There is that factor. Still, I am quote capable of killing people if I am not dead. In CS:Source I would almost win gungame sometimes by finding parts of the map to avoid attention or surprise people. The official arms race maps are sort of annoying as they are larger than icyworld, but still very small. It doesn't give me a lot of room to move around. My typical style of play in CS was always to circle around back and surprise everybody. Secret aztec stairs, secret window in the back of office, italy window path, etc.
    Well I'm talking about real CS not Gun Game.

• There is that factor. Still, I am quote capable of killing people if I am not dead. In CS:Source I would almost win gungame sometimes by finding parts of the map to avoid attention or surprise people. The official arms race maps are sort of annoying as they are larger than icyworld, but still very small. It doesn't give me a lot of room to move around. My typical style of play in CS was always to circle around back and surprise everybody. Secret aztec stairs, secret window in the back of office, italy window path, etc.
    Well I'm talking about real CS not Gun Game.

Well, in real CS there's another factor. If your team is good, it usually works together and sticks together. When I am with teammates who are not oblivious I get lots of kills because I can kill people who shoot at my teammates before they kill my teammate. When I am the one being shot at I panic slightly and also the game mechanics choke you up making it harder to move and such. But even when I am being shot at, a teammate might save me and on occasion I can get another kill before losing the rest of my health.
  • We need to have a server to play together on...
  • If we get a server I might have to buy it so you can all kick my ass, considering how I am by no means good at any FPSes.
  • Well, the game is released now, so I'd wait till rym or scott makes their decision on if they'll host.