This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Counter-Strike Global Offensive

Comments

• It's rocking. Going to leave it unprotected overnight, and tomorrow I'll update the config with some mode changes and probably a password.
  • It's called "GeekNights Official" if you want to browse for it!
  • What kind of mode changes are you thinking about?
  • Alltalk on
    A few extra maps
    No Dust2 (I'm so sick of that map)
    Settings somewhere between casual defaults and competitive defaults

I definitely plan to have three "modes." Normal, Event, and Gungame.

For srs thread for the server.
  • So new patch for Global Offensive. Not too promising.
    Crates, drops and custom weapon skins I can live with, but customizable loadout is potential for fail.
  • edited August 2013
    Here's the announce page for details.

Since they're apparently all salable, that'll be a slow trickle of cash via the marketplace that will be worth a few small games or DLC gubbins in the next steam sale.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It's out
  • For a dude who's adamant that the drop system should have zero impact on the game, he seems weirdly hung up on the idea of incentivizing players to behave in reward seeking behavior beyond playing the game as normal (ie, getting drops based on your individual score, which is something Valve intentionally de-emphsized in GO).

However, I'm not 100% convinced you'll be able to idle to get drops (or at least you won't be able to for long).

In Dota 2, you get drops by actively participating in and completing in match-making games (practice games and private servers don't count, but I think co-op vs. bots does). This builds up a level up meter which then gives you a guaranteed drop. You also have a chance to get a drop after each game.

However, if you go AFK (ie: you sit in the fountain and do nothing) the game doesn't count towards any drops and you get an abandon on your record, same as if you rage quit because "omg noob cm taek my last hits i'm gm in sc2 get rekt", even though you didn't leave technically the game.

I'd be surprised if Valve doesn't implement something like this in CS:GO (maybe some kind of algorithm to see if you're inputs make at least as much sense as what a bot might try to do so you can't just script random key inputs or something).

I am kind of surprised they didn't go this route tho:

• edited August 2013
    How long until we can buy hats to put on our grenades?
    Post edited by Lt. Chibi on
  • So they didn't change the game at all, right? Just added silenced M4 and USP.
  • edited August 2013
    So they didn't change the game at all, right? Just added silenced M4 and USP.
    Yes however the new M4 has 2/3 the mag sized of the prior one but has a smaller spray to control.

USP is just better.

Other than that you can pay to skin guns that's it. Some are crazy because seeing a bright orange gun may be a bit of a give away if you're trying to sneak around or hoping to exploit poor target acquisition by an enemy player.

I don't mind it and I prefer the USP.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • So they didn't change the game at all, right? Just added silenced M4 and USP.
    Yes however the new M4 has 2/3 the mag sized of the prior one but has a smaller spray to control.

USP is just better.
    Yeap. Game affecting.

Fuck that noise.
  • Everyone got them. They do not have any drop other than cosmetic.
  • Well, who wants to play? Get on the server.
  • How nice of the Counter Terrorist to show us where to plant the bomb.

CT Pose
  • edited September 2013
    You can sell these weapon upgrades for crazy prices, the StatTrak knives are going for $200 - $400 and people are buying them.

If you get a StatTrak gun that is popular it tends to go fro $30 - 80.

Even some of the non StatTrak skins will go from $3 - 10 or more depending on how much wear is on the skin.

I know it's superficial but I'm hunting down the Jungle Five Seven and the Ossified Tec 9 just because they're my favourite pistols in the game.

The playerbase has also jumped by 20,000 or so people you see more TF2 people in.

The skindrops seem to occur only on Demolition and Hostage missions and there needs to be an almost full server for them to be active.

The updates to the SSG-08 recoil make this gun noticeably amazing I've started buying this for longer maps.

I also like the updates on widening the door ways on various maps, half the time people aren't able to get through and these unintended choke points have been removed.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • $200 - $400
    Is that real dollars? Why?
  • $200 - $400
    Is that real dollars? Why?
    Because they are super rare, no ratio or the likelihood of their availability but there usually isn't 1 - 2 of the same knife on the market.

It is real dollars so if you get a skin, sell it while it's hot and don't price it too low, some of the selling trends I've seen are the random person selling something that has been going for $20 - 30 for $5 and then the next sale right back up at the high mark again.

People who play CS every night and nothing else for years have been given something to be vain about. The Stat Trak weapons are awesome for these players as they can remind themselves how many kills they've gotten with that gun.

You'll probably end up selling items to someone in Europe because CS is like a religion over there they don't value bullshit FPS games like Halo or Call of Duty.
  • Prices are way down now for most things but some are still selling for 1-2 dollars. A few are outrageous for the knives. Keys cost more on the market place now then buying them from valve for some reason.
  • Either the matchmaking is putting me on noob teams or I got magically better by not playing for a couple months.

Supporting the noob hypothesis: I've been the best or second-best guy on my team a few matches in a row. I've never been that good, ever. However, we keep losing. Maybe the servers are counting on me to carry the team and I actually stink.
  • Either the matchmaking is putting me on noob teams or I got magically better by not playing for a couple months.
    Noticed same thing when I couple of days ago played after a long break from CS. I wasn't the best on my team, but still I was doing a lot better than usual for me.

Noticed same thing when I couple of days ago played after a long break from CS. I wasn't the best on my team, but still I was doing a lot better than usual for me.

In no order the CS GO's weapon initiative have brought 3 groups back into the game (that I have observed).

1. Some people who got sucked into a Mobas have come back to CS realising they like the customisation aspect but not the game that makes them behave like toxic ass holes.

2. CS Source stragglers as I've heard the "I prefer source" comments pop up again (equivalent to "I like a simple game").

3. The last group I've seen are TF2 players. (I don't know if these are the people complaining about "do you guys always shoot for the head?" comments).
  • Good shit guys.
  • Yep. We should do some arms race. Love me some arms race.
  • I don't know if it was that getting kills is more satisfying in this game, or what, but it felt better to score a kill in CS:GO than in TF2, despite me actually getting fewer overall kills.
  • Neito said:

I don't know if it was that getting kills is more satisfying in this game, or what, but it felt better to score a kill in CS:GO than in TF2, despite me actually getting fewer overall kills.

It's harder to manage, so of course it's more satisfying.

• edited May 2014
    To this day, I remember that time I knifed a fade with such pride.

I can put he Tribes 2 server back up but that's an evenings work so I need a show of hands to see if it's worth it.
    It works flawlessly now and runs on a $5/mo DO droplet.
    Post edited by Omnutia on