This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2012 Presidential Election

Comments

• I have to agree. I haven't seen a single intelligent Republican candidate, and I think following John McCain's loss, we're never going to get a normal candidate ever again. They're gonna go full-on Fox News, and so I'm basically distancing myself from the party at this point.
    I'm rooting for Romney, but if I was betting money it would be on Obama. I think Romney would have a better policy, which is why he can't get on the ticket.
    I'm always of two minds of this. There is the Scojo, Political animal that wants my guy to win and then there is the Scojo the American Citizen which wants the best candidates to chose from so that if my guy doesn't win at least it won't be a crazy person. That's why as someone who moonlights in politics I want the craziest republican to win but as the responsible citizen I'd be cool with Gary Johnson, Jon Huntsman, Fred Kruger or maybe Mitt Romney. However the problem I have with old Mitt is the same I had with 2008 McCain. The 2000 election McCain wasn't a bad guy but somehow in those 8 years he backtracked on nearly every position he held I agreed with to win the republican nomination. Mitt is the same way, I've watched every social value we agreed on get backed away on except he hasn't said his healthcare system in MA was bad, though his argument between that and Obama's system is pretty weak. None of the republicans will admit there is ever a time to raise taxes. All are trying to appeal to the crazy religious and the economic libertarians. The combination is crazy.
  • Not getting into it. Last time I tried, everyone in the forum attacked me as viciously and barbarically as they do on the rest of the internet; and I'm going to be offline for the next 12 days, so I won't even be able to try to combat it.
    Don't you think maybe there is a reason for this?
    Because you are incredibly uncomfortable with the notion that you may not be right? I don't think I'll be participating in this thread either. I enjoy the other ones too much.
  • Oh and breaking news! Tpaw is out.
  • edited August 2011
    More of a Progressive, one of the first presidents to bring up Universal healthcare, created the national park system and busted the trusts plus this story
    When we were at the beach the other day we were talking about how much of a badass Theodore Roosevelt was. What a character!

I think, however, that in the time Axel has been alive the Republican party has not lived up to the standards of their predecessors. I mean, he was basically born after it was co-oped by the Religious Right, for crying out loud. Gingrich and his ilk are not fit to be grouped with Teddy.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Good republican presidents since 1900 :-p
    All of these guys would be considered left wing nuts by the DEMOCRATS today, let alone the Republicans.
  • When we were at the beach the other day we were talking about how much of a badass Theodore Roosevelt was. What a character!
    Doesn't help I'm reading a biography on him right now Theodore Rex. (which I got for cheap at borders)
  • When we were at the beach the other day we were talking about how much of a badass Theodore Roosevelt was. What a character!
    Doesn't help I'm reading a biography on him right now Theodore Rex. (which I got for cheap at borders)
    I worked on the Teddy Roosevelt aircraft carrier for a while (CVN 71) and there is a badass monument to him in the main hangar, complete with animal heads. Also, you can buy a souvenir cigar called "the big stick" in the ship store.
    I worked on the Teddy Roosevelt aircraft carrier for a while (CVN 71) and there is a badass monument to him in the main hangar, complete with animal heads. Also, you can buy a souvenir cigar called "the big stick" in the ship store.
    I always wanted to serve on a Carrier
  • edited August 2011
    Since the republicans seem intent on making this all into a farce that no one takes seriously, and since it seems like democracy is failing anyway, we might as well have someone entertaining as President. This is my list of POTUS's I'd like to see (note - this is for the entertainment value of the particular person as President only - this is not to say I agree with their politics or even know what their political views are.)

Morgan Freeman
    Christopher Walken
    Jon Stewart/Ed Helms/Stephen Colbert/Steve Carrell
    Stan Lee
    Chris Rock
    James Hong
    Carrie Fisher
    Tina Fey
    Samuel L. Jackson in character as Nick Fury
    Christopher Lloyd in character as Doc Brown
    Oprah
    Al Franken
    Drew Barrymore
    Any Poehler
    Arianna Huffington
    Dr. Michio Kaku
    The woman who played the "Chief" in Carmen Sandiego
    Gwen Ifill
    Wilford Brimley
    Neal Patrick Harris
    Colin Quinn
    Norm Macdonald
    Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

Even if things were going badly, I would be delighted to see a speech given by any of these people as POTUS.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Need script to block politics forum.
  • WHAT THE SHIT, IT'S ONLY 2011 YOU DUMB SHIT.
  • Al Franken
    He might even make a good president beyond the humor factor :-p
  • edited August 2011
    More of a Progressive, one of the first presidents to bring up Universal healthcare, created the national park system and busted the trusts plus this story

"While Roosevelt was campaigning in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on October 14, 1912, a saloonkeeper named John Schrank shot him, but the bullet lodged in his chest only after penetrating his steel eyeglass case and passing through a thick (50 pages) single-folded copy of the speech he was carrying in his jacket. Roosevelt, as an experienced hunter and anatomist, correctly concluded that since he wasn't coughing blood, the bullet had not completely penetrated the chest wall to his lung, and so declined suggestions he go to the hospital immediately. Instead, he delivered his scheduled speech with blood seeping into his shirt. He spoke for 90 minutes. His opening comments to the gathered crowd were, "Ladies and gentlemen, I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose." Afterwards, probes and x-ray showed that the bullet had traversed three inches (76 mm) of tissue and lodged in Roosevelt's chest muscle but did not penetrate the pleura, and it would be more dangerous to attempt to remove the bullet than to leave it in place. Roosevelt carried it with him for the rest of his life."
    After failing to get reelected under his new Party, the bull moose party, he begged Woodrow Wilson to allow him to lead a regiment of men into World War I. Wilson refused. In a modern Analogy this would be like George Bush Sr. going to his son and asking to lead a regiment into Iraq.

It's not just that there aren't Presidential candidates like him anymore, there aren't men like him anymore.
    Post edited by Gundampilotspaz on
  • That wasn't posted by me. That was posted by Cremlian.
    There is a bug in vanilla which sometimes quotes posters incorrectly. Needs some unit testing.
    There is a bug in vanilla which sometimes quotes posters incorrectly. Needs some unit testing.
    Unit testing in this case meaning "Educate morons to click the quote button part of the post they're quoting, not the one above it".
  • I can't wait till one of my grammar mistakes gets quoted as Jason and he explodes :-p
  • You want me to explode?

:(
  • You want me to explode?

:(
    WE NAME HIM JASON, HE GON BROW UP.
  • HE RIVE WIF HONOR!
  • NOW YOU ONLY HAVE A-SIX GUYS.
  • We not gonna give up our haf acre of rand.
  • Twvia war not accuwate enough wifout Jason stwapped to it.
  • This only proves that any given episode of Fast Karate is light years more interesting than this election.
  • Case is uh closed.....
  • Sup guise what's goin' on in this thread. :D
  • Sup guise what's goin' on in this thread. :D
    We're just stroking your ego, nothing to see here.
  • what's fast karate?
  • what's fast karate?
    Exactly what it sounds like.