This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110815 - HTPCs

edited August 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the humble HTPC (Home Theater PC). When in doubt, use this case and this PSU. In the news, Google buys Motorola Mobility at a premium, and Western governments are panicking about cell phones, messaging, and flash mobs.

Download MP3

Comments

• Sorry that this episode is late. Technology/Rym fail. I'm uploading it now. Give it about 20 minutes or so with my slow-ass upload speed.
  • When in doubt, use this case
    FTFY.
  • Anyone else got problems with the .mp3? Like it being only 59 seconds long. Did Scott's upload get interrupted or something?
  • Anyone else got problems with the .mp3? Like it being only 59 seconds long. Did Scott's upload get interrupted or something?
    Yeah, my upload is awful and not working. Rym has to do it with his FIOS.
  • I was happy, then sad when it only a minute long .
  • I was happy, then sad when it only a minute long .
    I fixed it yesterday with a fresh upload of the same file.
  • I fixed it for real this time. Rym fail.
  • I fixed it for real this time. Rym fail.
    How? I uploaded it last night. No errors were returned, and I then downloaded the file from libsyn.
  • Well, I only got the correct file after Scott's fix. Perhaps whatever you uploaded wasn't linked properly, or went to the wrong place?
  • I downloaded the file this morning at about 7:00 CET, so 8h ago, and it was 1 min long.

Anyway, the Wheatley puppet is great, but it could have been improved by also making the handle bars movable by the puppeteer's other hand.
  • Perhaps whatever you uploaded wasn't linked properly, or went to the wrong place?
    Scott wrote all of that. ;^) His form returned no errors.
  • Perhaps whatever you uploaded wasn't linked properly, or went to the wrong place?
    Scott wrote all of that. ;^) His form returned no errors.
    Form doesn't check to see if your mp3 is one minute long.
  • When in doubt, use this case
    FTFY.
    Woah, that's incredible. I do need to piece a new Media Center/Emulation PC together with a NAS... I might make that the center of my build.
  • Form doesn't check to see if your mp3 is one minute long.
    But the mp3 wasn't. It was many megabytes.
  • Form doesn't check to see if your mp3 is one minute long.
    But the mp3 wasn't. It was many megabytes.
    The one on Libsyn was very few.
  • It was one! One megabytes!
  • Adblock Plus blocks Crunchyroll ads.
  • Good episode, you guys really covere everything. For my HTPC, I felt it was worth it to drop big bucks on a premium Logitech wireless combo. Make sure your wireless mouse has rechargeable battery with a dock. You can keep it docked on an end table for huge convenience. Also, the keyboard I got has a rocker switch on the edge that is tied to zoom in/zoom out. Works wonders on poorly designed web pages.
  • During the episode it became more and more clear that almost nothing said in the episode is relevant for me for couple of years at least. The idea of different computer for an living room is quite useless for a person whom living room is their computer room, bedroom and gaming room. Also my laptop is already connected to my TV right now.
  • I've had a dedicated HTPC for quite some time now, it's an ASrock ION . It's really cheap, it's got a dual core ATOM and an nvidia chipset and integrated nvidia GPU, plays full HD just fine, it was made for that. I was able to play SuperMeatBoy on it but it is kind of slow for the way I packed it with Anime, browsing through the files is not so good.
    I plan to build one with my old PC, core 2 duo.
  • I don't have an HDTV and don't care about games. I'm using a 6-year-old tower + Linux + decent Nvidia card + s-video out + Boxee.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm actually a little impressed by this: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21462/2

Gawd that's a lot of graphics card to equip with a mini-itx...

I guess I'm more looking for a Lanbox, but something that could double as a computer for the TV.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I thought I'd share this, recently purchased this keyboard for a media PC. Not great for heavy use/mousing/typing, excellent for browsing YouTube, Netflix, movie files etc from the couch.

Picked it up on Amazon for around $30 a few weeks back.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/8276
  • I thought I'd share this, recently purchased this keyboard for a media PC. Not great for heavy use/mousing/typing, excellent for browsing YouTube, Netflix, movie files etc from the couch.

Yeah, that's a good one that didn't exist when I was shopping.

That looks very, very similar to the keyboard for their Revue Google TV Box. If so, they're pretty darn nice for TV watching purposes.