This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

East coast earthquake?

Did anyone else feel that a few minutes ago? Reports on twitter from Philly, Maryland, and Boston are conforming a quake.

Comments

• Yea, it was pretty funny, I was in a meeting on the second floor and I felt a rumble and said "Must be that heavy guy walking around" and then a few minutes later learned it was an actual earthquake :-p
  • I sure felt it! It was centered not too far away from where I live.

Map.
  • Awww, baby's first earthquake. How cute~
  • edited August 2011
    Yup, I felt it. The whole lab was like, "WTF?" It was enough that the building I'm in swayed a good bit.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • That was a 5.9 here in DC, it was pretty serious.
  • edited August 2011
    Awww, baby's first earthquake. How cute~
    Yeah, and it was only a 6.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Awww, baby's first earthquake. How cute~
    I know, all the people in California are going to have a blast watching us east coast types evacuate single story structures.

Until the fault goes and they slide into the ocean. Bwahahahha.
  • First thing I did was run under a door frame. After a second of realizing that was stupid My sister took the dog and we ran outside.

First earthquake I ever experienced. I almost had a heart attack. I'm in the DC Metro area, how far did it go exactly?
  • I didn't feel a thing, but some of our friends did. Studio is getting a lot of texts from friends uptown.
    NYC doesn't seem like it was super bad. Mostly south in D.C.
    Earthquakes don't often hit here but they do from time to time.
  • edited August 2011
    Found pictures of the damage in the slashdot comments.
    Post edited by Snickety-Snake on
  • First thing I did was run under a door frame. After a second of realizing that was stupid My sister took the dog and we ran outside.
    Yeah, door frame is actually a pretty bad place to stand. You're better off under a table if you can't get outside and away from buildings.
  • It's funny listening to the police scanner after any event like this. You hear the people with dementia and other mental issues calling to report that they had an earthquake too. We're talking the Lake Erie shore; there was no observable tremor here. What happens is that (mostly) old people see it on the news, get convinced that the truck that passed by 10 minutes ago was an earthquake, go batshit crazy, and start calling fire and police stations.
  • Reading Twitter with all the sarcasm is wonderful.
    Behold, I have punished NY for their gay-marrying ways!! ... Oh shit, I missed. Sorry, Virginia!
    :And now begins the 48 hours of nonstop cable coverage by our East Coast media of a 5.8 earthquake. #cynicalcalifornian
  • I thought I might have been dizzy or that my chair was wobbling ever so subtly back and forth. Considered earthquake possibility, then discovered it was for real. Hilarious to see other people freak out. I know our West Coast friends would be laughing at them.
  • edited August 2011
    Did this work for you NYC people?

EDIT: THIS ACTUALLY WORKS!!!! I im'd my friend in PA right after the shaking stopped and he felt the earthquake 30 seconds later. ^_^
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • It's funny listening to the police scanner after any event like this. You hear the people with dementia and other mental issues calling to report that they had an earthquake too. We're talking the Lake Erie shore; there was no observable tremor here. What happens is that (mostly) old people see it on the news, get convinced that the truck that passed by 10 minutes ago was an earthquake, go batshit crazy, and start calling fire and police stations.
    I have some relatives in Ohio saying they felt a sway.
  • Now my texts and phone doesn't work. The network is probably flooded with people going OMG earthquake.
    Having spent time in Japan, I am nonplussed.
  • Now my texts and phone doesn't work. The network is probably flooded with people going OMG earthquake.
    Your dense city means you don't have enough cell towers for the volume. The cell network is fine here.
    I have some relatives in Ohio saying they felt a sway.
    There are reports that it could be felt in southern to mid-Ohio, several hundred miles away. The geological survey guy I talked with says there's no way we would have felt it farther north.
  • http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/usc0005ild.php
    "Since at least 1774, people in central Virginia have felt small earthquakes and suffered damage from infrequent larger ones. The largest damaging earthquake (magnitude 4.8) in the seismic zone occurred in 1875. Smaller earthquakes that cause little or no damage are felt each year or two. "

So this was the biggest from CENTRAL VIRGINIA SEISMIC ZONE.
  • I also saw some people saying that the earthquake is Obama's fault. His support of the Muslims apparently angers God.
  • edited August 2011
    It was a big earthquake, relative to the size that usually hits along that fault, but in the grand scheme of earthquakes, it probably was not all that devastating.

edit: >:C NOT best at all.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Central NY here, on the 2nd floor of an admittedly less-than-sturdy building addition (the floor shakes so much when someone walks by my desk I can't read my monitor) and I felt it. The AC Ducting above my head swayed ever so slightly. A bit creepy, I thought someone hit one of the supports with a forklift.
  • For people who don't know, the earthquake scale is exponential. That's why 5.8 is very tiny, but 8, 9 is way way big.
  • OK, there's actually serious things happening here. There's apparently damage at Union Station, whole bunch of things are shutting down, damage to the national cathedral and I've heard the Washington monument may be tilting. I'm not sure about that last one, but the other three are serious.
  • For people who don't know, the earthquake scale is exponential. That's why 5.8 is very tiny, but 8, 9 is way way big.
    Actually I'm pretty sure a 5.9 is considered a Moderate Earthquake.