This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Archive.org posts video from every major TV station from September 11, 2001

edited August 2011 in Everything Else
http://www.archive.org/details/911

I highly recommend you at the very least watch something from 9:02am. It's really strange looking back on the live TV coverage like this.

Comments

• Great find, Trogdor.
  • Watching that footage of the North tower collapsing and hearing the live reactions is surreal. It doesn't feel like it actually happened.
  • I know this is supposed to be all serious and stuff, but I couldn't stop laughing at the Iraqi TV clips that had the people dressed up in giant animal costumes.
  • I know we don't bump for the sake of bumping very much around here, but I think it's fairly obvious why I'm doing so.
  • I remember exactly where I was. I had just gotten out of the shower and turned the tv on. I was getting ready to leave for college classes.
  • I've got a flight tomorrow morning. So.
  • I remember exactly where I was.
    I was in the middle of a high school history class when the PA system came on and told us that the first plane had hit. My next class was French, where the teacher had plugged the room's TV in and had the news going.

I just realized, 9/11 is my generation's JFK Assassination in terms of I-Remember-Where-I-Was.
  • I was seven, sitting at the neighbor's house watching the news and not grasping the magnitude of the situation.
  • That day I came home and almost beat the shit out of my little kid neighbors they were around 5-7. The were jumping off of their front steps saying, "Ahhh Im on fire from the towers. Ahhh Im jumping"
  • college classes.
    high school history class
    Man, I am young. 5th grade. It had already happened by the time I woke up, cuz west coast. My mom came into my room crying and told me what happened, then we watched the footage on TV. She sent me to school anyway because she said the terrorist's goal was to disrupt our daily lives, so the best way to fight them is to just go about our business as usual. Went to school to find a fairly empty playground where I lined up with the other kids in my class who were not kept at home until class began. There were only about five of us.
  • I just remember the next I-don't-even-remember-how-many weeks being all news. You couldn't turn on the TV without a talking head or a newscaster or that footage of it falling again and again and again.....
  • 7th grade history class. There wasn't a general announcement, but the teacher had it on.
  • edited September 2011
    6th or 7th grade computer class. No general announcement, but my teacher turned on the tv after he got a call.
    The Onion issue 3437 from September 26, 2001. They handled it brilliantly.
    I know, right? Three hour Golden Girls marathon sounds awesome!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited September 2011
    9/11 Smithsonianchannel/BBC filmThis was really really good.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I was working at a day care center for mentally and physically disabled people. In the afternoon I was helping people on to a bus and the bus driver said "It's all going down in New York!"

He put on the radio and the news announcer said "Two passenger aircraft have flown into the World Trader Center twin towers in New York, which have now collapsed."

"Collapsed?!?!" I thought. "Buildings that size don't collapse!"

I couldn't get over the technical and mechanical aspects of the whole event, that buildings so big could get knocked down so quickly and easily. I didn't have a TV at the time, and didn't seek out more news except from the radio, the internet, and newspapers. It was about a month later that I saw footage of the towers collapsing for the first time, I think. The human tragedy was, I guess, too abstract to get my head around until much later too.
  • I was in 11th grade in computer class. A PA announcement came on. The principal said the WTC has been bombed. Then soon she said the Pentagon. We ended up staying in our next class for an extended time because they were getting the buses to get out early. We listened to the radio in our Govt. class and talked about it for awhile. Some poeple took it seriously and some were making jokes. I just sat there drawing away to not think about it.

It didn't hit me full force until I got home and called my Grandma to tell her I was home. I turned on the TV and it hit me then. I watched it for hours into the night. I think even until late at night.

The next day we got off too since we lived in the DC area. I went to a store with Mom to buy some stuff. The cashier asked if I was happy to be out of school today. I said in a monotone voice "Why would anyone be happy to be out of school because of that!" I looked around at the things people were buying and the attitude in the air and thought to myself, the world has changed on Sept. 12. It took Sept 11th.
  • I was seven,
    5th grade.
    Goddamn kids.

Sophomore year of college for me. I remember stumbling out into the hall in the morning to use the bathroom, and the cleaning lady was like, "They bombed the twin towers." And my sleep-addled self thought, "Wait, didn't that happen like a decade ago?"

And then I turned on the TV.
  • Sitting in the apartment at RIT and Scott Johnson sent me an IM telling me to turn the TV on.
  • I was 9, and nobody would tell me what was going on. It wasn't until my parents picked me up from my afterschool program at about 4 that I learned what had happened.
  • 4th grade. Basically, some kids in the bathroom said World War III just started. A little bit later in class, the teacher told us what happened after getting a call.
  • Sitting in the apartment at RIT and Scott Johnson sent me an IM telling me to turn the TV on.
    Yea, judging from a few comments from my friends, I was one of the first people in the crew (and high school) friends who turned on a TV before the second airplane hit, I did this because I couldn't get on Fark.com at the time and noticed I couldn't get to any of the news sites. I then got on AIM and Imed anyone I saw on to check the news.
  • edited September 2011
    friends who turned on a TV before the second airplane hit
    I can confirm because I also turned on the TV before the second one hit. I didn't even realize at the time what I was seeing.

Some of my first thoughts were "oh shit, everyone is going to blame this on terrorists and ruin everything." Being right is a pretty crappy consolation prize.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited September 2011
    It was late at night here, and the action movie I'd been watching with my father had just finished, when they cut it off and broke through the credits with breaking news - something that I'd never seen before, and laughed at the cliche-ness of the way they did it, before they said what the news was, of the first plane hitting the tower, then showed footage - the time delay meant we didn't see the first hit till a little bit after - but we saw the second plane hit, live in living colour. It was shocking, and visceral - we'd been to new york, and to the top of the towers on a family vacation to the US less than a year before, recently enough that the memories were still fresh. We just sat there, I was in the beanbag, my father on the ratty old wicker-and-weave couch, we just couldn't stop watching. My mother and sister were asleep, we didn't wake them, we honestly couldn't tear ourselves away from the TV for long enough to.

I argued with my father, briefly, that I hoped that everyone would get out before the towers came down - I don't know why I thought they would come down, just a childish idea that if you hit a tall thing with a heavy fast thing, it will fall over, like a jenga tower standing on end being hit by a thrown marble - but he thought it was foolish. We both cried when they came down. We didn't sleep for most of the night.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2011
    Fucking christ. I didn't think I would. I didnt think it would happen. But I've already cried twice today...
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • I can confirm because I also turned on the TV before the second one hit. I didn't even realize at the time what I was seeing.
    You were turning on the TV just as I was getting home.
  • I was a sophomore in high school at the time. Being on the west coast, I was still at home when my parents heard the news on their radio, so we were watching the TV when the first tower collapsed. And then we were in the car on the way to school when the second one went down. Updates on what happened came in through the rest of the day during classes. My history teacher at the time told us that that day would be one of the most significant ones of our lives.
  • I came home from teaching remedial math at the local polytechnic and happened to turn on the TV about five minutes before the second plane hit.
  • I was in second grade. I think we may have just come back from Specials (Art, Music, or P.E.). When we came into the classroom, we had the TV on and my teacher had been obviously crying. I don't think any of us asked questions, even the GT kids. I think we just couldn't process it enough to even know where to start. When I got home my mom had been obviously crying and my dad was flushed. My mom told me dad had been working from home and when she came into the living room to see why he had suddenly gotten so quiet he looked like he was going to be ill, which is saying a lot since the only emotions I see from dad are annoyed or happy.

Right now I'm writing this to distract me from the special on CBS. I'm having a hard enough time with just the sounds, so I'm glad I'm not watching.