This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hurricane Irene

I'm now officially under a tropical storm watch for the next 48 hours here in the DC area. The smart money seems to be on us getting winds that are nearly 100 mph as well as the massive rain. I'm going to be spending most of Saturday getting things ready. Bring various out door things in and weighing down the things I can't. Need to clean up my basement den and get things off the floor in case power goes out and the sump pump doesn't run. I'm also planning on leaving my car in the parking garage at work.

Comments

• It's looking like Massachusetts is going to be on the windy side of 'er, rather than the rainy side. So, that's nice.
  • I wanted some rain down here so I can have an excuse to wear my duster but unfortunately, Irene is skipping GA.
  • Sigh, I was planning on going to Six Flags this weekend!
  • Sigh, I was planning on going to Six Flags this weekend!
    As a former employee from there, I would say that you are not missing much.
  • I'm leaving for Rochester a day earlier (Saturday). Connecticut will probably get hit relatively hard. Hopefully I won't lose power in Rochester...
  • I'm hoping Rochester will be far enough away to be fine. Although it's interesting that Columbia's New Student Orientation (which was scheduled to start with move-in Sunday) has been delayed for an unannounced length of time.
  • Rochester is far enough inland to be fine even if it was coming by the shortest route to you. You'll probably get heavy rain at worst. How much is a matter of how fast the storm goes inland.
  • Oh, I know Rochester won't be destroyed or anything - I just don't want the power to go out, and a big thunderstorm like that of a hurricane will do just that.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm not in a hurricane alley right now, so I wrote this one verse parody of Dexy's Midnight Runners seminal classic "Come On Eileen" for those of you who are.

Come on, Irene
    I swear (well, he means)
    At this moment you mean everything
    With your Category Three
    I hope, I confess, that you avooooooooooid meeeeee
    Ah, come on, Irene
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • see you in DC, I'm heading down tomorrow :)
  • James and I were supposed to fly up Saturday and see PANDAS and now I'm not sure it will happen! D:
  • edited August 2011
    Oh you northerners, with your comparatively little to worry about when it comes to this storm.
    EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA, BITCHES. I live right next to the river. Guess who's going to buy plywood and fill bottles full of water tomorrow?
    My roommates and I are going to hunker down and stick this one out. We (and by we, I really mean mostly me) sat down and made plans on what we're going to do to prepare. Doesn't hurt to have safety plans. I'd rather look like a fool for having backup then not make those plans.

Additionally, my sister has just earned her Red Cross card and will most likely get called out even further east than I am. I guess I know who to call if I need saving.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • Oh you northerners, with your comparatively little to worry about when it comes to this storm.
    EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA, BITCHES. I live right next to the river. Guess who's going to buy plywood and fill bottles full of water tomorrow?
    My roommates and I are going to hunker down and stick this one out. We (and by we, I really mean mostly me) sat down and made plans on what we're going to do to prepare. Doesn't hurt to have safety plans. I'd rather look like a fool for having backup then not make those plans.
    But German Chicks!
  • I'm worried about my car. 50mph winds are scary for street parking with trees. I'm afraid paid lots will fill up by Saturday night, and I can't afford to bow out of work on Saturday. Our finances are tight for various reasons. I don't really know what to do.
  • edited August 2011
    Y'all will be okay. Remember to secure everything outdoors, make sure your storm kit is up to date, Make sure your pets are inside, and don't worry, you'll be okay.
    These are quite survivable, if you don't act stupid.

Trust the Australian. Trust the Fuckhead.
    I'm worried about my car. 50mph winds are scary for street parking with trees. I'm afraid paid lots will fill up by Saturday night, and I can't afford to bow out of work on Saturday. Our finances are tight for various reasons. I don't really know what to do.
    Call the city, see if they'll send out some tree loppers to sort out any dangerous branches. If not, then try to move your car into your yard, or as close to your house as possible out of the fall line of any trees - that way, if a tree falls, the house is likely to stop it before it hits the car too badly. And really, let's face it, you can't move the house, so if the house is gonna get hit, it's gonna get hit, so you might as well move your car to use the house as some sort of meager protection.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • One of my New Yorker friends posted this on Facebook:
    "Motherfucker, I'm in Zone A. Why the fuck am I in Zone A. I feel like the suckers in a virus movie. You know, the ones that get bombed."
  • I planned to go play frisbee here in Boston before I found out about this and it hasn't changed my mind
  • edited August 2011
    Tropical storm warning has been issued. 33.5 hours and counting.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • It's punishing you all for not going to PAX where the weather is perfect.

Also, hurricanes are awesome. Kind of sad I'm missing it. You sit inside all day while there is a non-stop thunderstorm outside.
  • It's punishing you all for not going to PAX where the weather is perfect.

Also, hurricanes are awesome. Kind of sad I'm missing it. You sit inside all day while there is a non-stop thunderstorm outside.
    I'd agree if not for the potential of the power going out and the basement flooding (where I live) due to the sump pump not working.
  • I'd agree if not for the potential of the power going out and the basement flooding (where I live) due to the sump pump not working.
    Live in a modern building.

• Also, hurricanes are awesome. Kind of sad I'm missing it. You sit inside all day while there is a non-stop thunderstorm outside.
    Sounds like a perfect time to catch up on Thor.
  • Live in a modern building.
    Don't be a dick. Lots of homes have sump pumps.
  • Live in a modern building.
    Don't be a dick. Lots of homes have sump pumps.
    Yeah Scott. Sump pumps are a necessity of location, based on the height of the water table and frequency of flooding.
  • Also, hurricanes are awesome. Kind of sad I'm missing it. You sit inside all day while there is a non-stop thunderstorm outside.
    When I was little, I was on Martha's Vineyard during Hurricane Bob. We were far enough inland that we were safe. However, the coastal town around five minutes away was a disaster. A home was destroyed when a boat (a fucking boat) was lifted out of the water and landed on its roof. Businesses were ruined by flooding and the windshear tore other houses apart.

Hurricanes are not "awesome," unless you mean the standard definition of "inspiring terror and awe." Just ask the victims of Katrina. I'm sure they'd tell you that it's a lot less "sitting in a modern building during an endless thunderstorm" and a lot more "hoping flooding and pieces of debris moving at 100MPH+ don't kill my loved ones and destroy everything I've ever known."
  • edited August 2011
    I'd agree if not for the potential of the power going out and the basement flooding (where I live) due to the sump pump not working.
    Live in a modern building.
    Yes, why don't you just let the servants handle it while you fly to your Swiss Chalet in your private jet? Isn't that what everyone does?

Seriously, Scott. This is why I get so angry with you sometimes. It doesn't matter how fucking modern a building is. If the power goes out, it's out for everyone. Also - what Pete and George said about the sump pumps.

@Bird - I think Scott is intentionally trying to be an insensitive bastard in order to troll. You can tell by the silliness of what he said that he never really lived through a hurricane. If he ever did, he'd probably wet his pants.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited August 2011
    Are CAT 3 hurricanes really serious business? I remember hurricanes as a kid and the worst that happened was that the power went out. Nothing that candles, food, coolers, grill (when it's better the next day and you gotta cook all the meat in the freezer), and books can't handle. You can last a week if you're prepared. It happened for about that length of time a few years back.

I need a grill.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited August 2011
    @Bird - I think Scott is intentionally trying to be an insensitive bastard in order to troll. You can tell by the silliness of what he said that he never really lived through a hurricane. If he ever did, he'd probably wet his pants.
    Seconded - when I was younger, and spent a lot more time up in Harvey Bay/Maryborough, I lived through Cyclone Barry in 1996, It was fucking terrifying. I saw an 18 foot caravan flipped completely over on it's roof, like it was a toy. The sheer Noise and raw power of these things, it's insane - Cyclones count among the few things I'm still truly afraid of.

I know people who lived through Cyclones Larry and Yasi, and many of them still have nightmares about it.
    Are CAT 3 hurricanes really serious business?
    They can be, it depends on how prepared you are. For example, a CAT 3 down here nowdays will cause a bit damage, but usually few if any deaths, because we're prepared for it as a society - we build for them, we have ads on the TV every Cyclone season about what to do, and preparing/checking emergency kits, and so on.

But, if a Cat 3 hits a city that ISN'T prepared for such a serious storm, it can be very serious.

As long as you're moderately prepared, you should be fine - I mean, there is only so much you can do about much of it, particular types of roofs will be ripped of much more easily than others, some areas have more trees and the like, the buildings in each area will hold up differently, so on - but if you're smart and prepared, you'll be fine, at best you'll be a little scared, a bit inconvenienced, and maybe a bit uncomfortable, but you'll be okay.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Are CAT 3 hurricanes really serious business? I remember hurricanes as a kid and the worst that happened was that the power went out. Nothing that candles, food, coolers, grill (when it's better the next day and you gotta cook all the meat in the freezer), and books can't handle. You can last a week if you're prepared. It happened for about that length of time a few years back.
    Winds over 100MPH, ten foot swells. SRS BSNS.
  • Are CAT 3 hurricanes really serious business? I remember hurricanes as a kid and the worst that happened was that the power went out. Nothing that candles, food, coolers, grill (when it's better the next day and you gotta cook all the meat in the freezer), and books can't handle. You can last a week if you're prepared. It happened for about that length of time a few years back.
    Winds over 100MPH, ten foot swells. SRS BSNS.
    I worry for the folks living closer the river then. ( I live in Waterfront DC so I imagine there would be a huge problem. )