This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Redline

Comments

• MACHINE HEAD. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHINE HEEAAAAAAAAAAD!
  • MACHINE HEAD. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHINE HEEAAAAAAAAAAD!
    that guy was so badass having a theme song wasnt enough, they had to have him eat his own nitro too...
  • edited September 2011
    Just finished the movie. I think I need a cold shower. 110% Manly.
    This movie looks like Hokuto no Tenga Toppa Initial D. Is that about right?
    I... guess?
    I'm going to append it to Tenga Toppa Initial D. That's closer, because there was less punching.

Also, there's one scene lifted straight from the Incal, where Funky Boy zaps a soldier and he erupts into bags of gas which float him into the air before shouting "Hail to the President!" and exploding, and the Hyper-Disintegrator, Mothership (floating magic space princess in a pastel control room, anyone?) and Roboworld tech is all very Moebius. This movie had pretty much everything I liked.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Here the NMU alternative cinema thingy is screening Redline at some point so I'll definitely have to watch it then.
  • I'm going to append it to Tenga Toppa Initial D.
    It reminded me a lot more of Wacky Races than Initial D.
  • edited September 2011
    I'm opting for Speed Racer, because SR was crazy, but still pretty serious about its racing. I am still shaken with how incredibly good this movie was. I can't believe that this shit in mostly hand-drawn. Over 100k cels!
  • I wish I could have seen this in a theater.
  • Well if you want to drive hours and hours to Marquette...
  • Well if you want to drive hours and hours to Marquette...
    Marquette-in-Wisconsin Marquette!?
  • A whole lot happens in those two hours... a whole lot... The funky boy scene was definitely the least expected thing for me, and kinda awesome. I did like the resolution of the mafia part, that was handled pretty excellently. There were definitely some awesome visuals and slightly interesting fighting going on. And they managed to cram a fairly interesting cast in that time frame. So lots of positive things, but I think it ended up lacking some depth and plot. It's definitely an achievement to manage to fit that much everything into that little time. The "main" plot never really strayed from "there's a race, these people want to win it" though.
  • No, Marquette-In-the UP(of Michigan) Marquette. Besides the normal Campus Cinema that has newer, not yet on DVD movies theres Gonzo (not THAT Gonzo) Cinema that shows the weird stuff and sometime this semester they are showing Redline.
  • The funky boy scene was definitely the least expected thing for me, and kinda awesome
    Also, c'mon, they named a giant neon-yellow bioweapon that explodes people into fucking balloons Funky Boy. What's not to love?
  • Would have really like to know what happened with Funky Boy and the whole Roboworld government at the end, though.
  • edited September 2011
    I'd like to believe that the REDLINE mothership teleports out, Coolies free the planet.
  • I'd like to think Redline is more like Robot Carnival.
  • The roboworld government were probably my favourite characters in the movie, i just love their faces and the President himself especially.
  • Watched this last night. The only nitpick I have from the story was that I would have like more intense racing scenes and less Roboworld army stuff. Or better yet keep the Roboworld stuff but just make the film a little bit longer 10 minutes more of the Redline racers going at each other would have been great. There is a prequel of sorts for Redline it features Trava and Shinkai the ex-military guys they were the ones that kept on getting harassed by the solider skull head dude that was crying.
  • You had me at "Galactic Pompadour." Torrenting this now.
  • I'm going to append it to Tenga Toppa Initial D.
    It reminded me a lot more of Wacky Races than Initial D.
    Wacky Races with vastly improved animation, mega explosions, and bigger boobs.
  • edited September 2011
    bigger boobs
    SUPERBOINS : Boobs :: Motoko Kusanagi : Badonkadonk
  • I just watched it. That was so stupidly awesome I think my brain exploded.
  • I just watched it. That was so stupidly awesome I think my brain exploded.
    This.

Wow.
  • This movie is the new definition of over-the-top. Loved every minute of it.
  • So fun! Good animation, too. I liked all the different aliens, like the nerdy dad with the camera and his hyper kid. Also, dog with mustache.
    Not the deepest movie, but a good movie in that it was satisfying and enjoyable.
  • I want to build the Yellowline Trans-Am as part of the ultimate cosplay.
  • I want to build the Yellowline Trans-Am as part of the ultimate cosplay.
    You don't want the 5th wheel in the front of the car?
  • edited September 2011
    I want to build the Yellowline Trans-Am as part of the ultimate cosplay.
    You don't want the 5th wheel in the front of the car?
    I wanted to do that, but it's impossible. The wheel would both jut into the engine bay, and fuck with my rack and pinion.

EDIT: Current choice of car is Dodge Challenger R/T. Perfect stock body, just needs some fiberglass work and some engine modification...
  • I want to build be the Yellowline Trans-Am as part of the ultimate cosplay.
    I want to do the same thing that people do for Mario Kart cosplay for this movie.
    I want to do the same thing that people do for Mario Kart cosplay for this movie.
    That would be pretty awesome.