This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Portfolio Websites

edited September 2011 in Art!
Basically, I am looking to make one of these ASAP. I really need a site that can support swf files so that I can show my animation and whatnot, also one that's fairly simple to use and affordable (or even free). I'm pretty terrible at searching for these things myself, so I figured I'd ask all of you smart folks over here.

It is long past time I made one of these, anyway. Time to be an artist again.

Comments

• Try out Google Sites. See if you can embed flash and whatnot into them. (I've barely used Sites, so I can't speak to them doing anything other than what I've already done with them).
  • The general trick for doing stuff on the cheap is to have a Google Sites page and put resource files (e.g. swf) into a dropbox. I don't think Sites lets you upload arbitrary stuff and embed it, they only have a pseudo file sharing thingie.
  • Carbonmade and Moonfruit are two art sites that come to mind.
  • My #1 pet peeve with portfolio websites is horizontal scrolling. Don't do that shit.
  • My #1 pet peeve with portfolio websites is horizontal scrolling. Don't do that shit.
    =(
    Wait, you mean-- I'm not the only one?
  • Hardly.
    Not nearly as cool as mine! Which reminds me I should probably finish and host that..
  • I should make a website that scrolls diagonally upwards.
  • I should make a website that scrolls diagonally upwards.
    This would blow my mind if I ever saw it.
  • Hardly.
    Not only is it horizontal scrolling, but it's a laggy-ass Flash app, so any horizontal scrolling ability your mouse does have is nullified.
  • You know, Facebook's actually pretty alright for that sort of animation portfolios. Ive seen a couple, although i cannot comment directly not having used it before.
  • I'd suggest looking into Cargo or Behance Pro if you don't know html/css.

Otherwise check out Stacey. It's a real joy to work with and all custom templates require is the html/css and a few tags (for instance :media, @name). It uses txt files and folders to organize everything and doesn't use a database. I really enjoyed working with it and got everything running within an hour.