This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PSP Homebrew

edited September 2011 in Everything Else
So, I just flashed a CFW (custom firmware) to my PSP-1000. It's getting stupid easy these days. Apparently, you can even use (light) CFWs (Like LME 6.60) on the Go and "unflashable" Slims. The emulation scene on the PSP is pretty nifty (Not the least bit because I fucking love that smexy PSP screen). Anyone else doing nifty things with their PSPs?

Comments

• I've got a PSP-3000 with 6.20 TN-E on it. It was STUPID STUPID STUPID easy to put it on there (now that it's possible to effectively sign software): Put it in the "Game" folder, launch it, done. I mostly use my PSP for emulation, but I'll occasionally put a video or two on there to take on-the-go.
  • I've got a PSP-3000 with 6.20 TN-E on it.
    If you're not married to that firmware, I'm using one based off of 6.60, so it's possible to play pretty recent games with it.

Plus, it may or may not have a built-in ISO Loader, so you don't have to use Promethius.
  • I need to update mine. Right now I'm using a 5.0 cfw with a built in .iso loader so all of my games just show up under my memory card like legit ones would. I ripped almost all of my games and run them off of my memory stick. I usually emulate NES, genesis, and Gameboy/GBA games. SNES emulation is kind of hit or miss. Ps1 emulation is pretty sweet too, even without the other memory stick.
  • I have only two questions regarding CFW:

1) Can you still run UMDs with CFW installed?

2) Can you still access the PSN with CFW installed? (probably not but hey, worth asking)
  • Just make sure you don't update when you connect.
    I was going to try PSP online, but then I was like "Wireless B only?!" and didn't.
  • I don't even really bother with online on the PSP. Its so goddamn slow.
  • I have only two questions regarding CFW:

1) Can you still run UMDs with CFW installed?

2) Can you still access the PSN with CFW installed? (probably not but hey, worth asking)
    yes. Word of advice to you though, double check that you're PSP is flashable. You can still run a light one if its not, but its slightly more handy to boot inti a cfw.
  • Out of curiosity, what degree of emulation is possible? Are N64 games remotely playable? Is there an emulator which will run old gameboy RPGs at 2x speed? How is the battery life when you are using it as an emulator?
  • edited September 2011
    There is an N64 emulator, but I don't think it runs that well. And yes, you can hold a button and run it in super speed mode. The battery life is about the same. Maybe a little less if you run the processor at full speed.

I downloaded a huge .rar of emulators that had pretty much every emulator you'd ever need when I first hacked my psp. I'd look into that if I were you.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • I've played around with the N64 emulator a little. It's not that great, but Mario 64 is playable (I haven't tried anything else).
  • From what I've seen, n64 emulation in general is pretty crap. SNES and NES, as well as ps1, us basically perfect at this point though.
  • On PC at least, most of the really playable emulation are the more popular games like Ocarina of Time and such. Even though we're a few console generations past, even N64 emulation isn't quite "there" yet.
  • I wonder if on the pc n64 emulation would be easiest if we tried the virtual console versions in the Dolphin emulator.
  • On PC at least, most of the really playable emulation are the more popular games like Ocarina of Time and such. Even though we're a few console generations past, even N64 emulation isn't quite "there" yet.
    It's kinda sad, honestly. There were a lot of good games that are slowly going to be lost as the hardware fades and the emulation scene doesn't catch up.
  • I'm afraid of whats going to happen once everything is DLC. I mean I love buying old games, but what happens when the ps5 is old and we want to play "retro" games from that system, but can't because it doesn't work online anymore and none of the games have physical releases? I guess we'll just have to pirate everything.
  • I'm afraid of whats going to happen once everything is DLC. I mean I love buying old games, but what happens when the ps5 is old and we want to play "retro" games from that system, but can't because it doesn't work online anymore and none of the games have physical releases? I guess we'll just have to pirate everything.
    Considering the prodigious amounts of torrents for games available on Steam, I'm not going to worry too hard about it.
  • Well, I wasn't talking about steam. I meant console games. I have a feeling steam will be around for quite some time, and if they go away we don't have to worry because of torrents and whatnot. I'm just more afraid of not being able to play console games easily when they get older, when everything is DLC.
  • Well, I wasn't talking about steam. I meant console games. I have a feeling steam will be around for quite some time, and if they go away we don't have to worry because of torrents and whatnot. I'm just more afraid of not being able to play console games easily when they get older, when everything is DLC.
    Eeeh. Like I said, I'm not worried. If we can crack Steam games, we can crack PS10,000 games. It's not weighing heavily on my mind.
  • As long as there's DRM, there's people who will crack it. You can get torrents of every virtual console game if you want them.