This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110906 - PAX Prime 2011

edited September 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we bring you our coverage of PAX Prime 2011! We only discuss the things that made this particular PAX unique, so if you thirst for more general coverage of the things that tend not to change much from year to year, don't forget our previous shows on PAX Prime 2008 (part 1, part 2, part 3) PAX Prime 2009, PAX Prime 2010 (the con and the games), PAX East 2010, and PAX East 2011!

In the news, someone did something old in an uninspired way (but with a Kinect!) and Rock of Ages comes to Steam tonight! Also, don't forget the GeekNights Worst Webcomic Contest!

Download MP3

Comments

• I'll buy in on Rock of Ages. So-be-it.
  • I'll buy in on Rock of Ages. So-be-it.
    I watched the video, but why do I feel like I watched a Monty Python game?
  • edited September 2011
    Rock of Ages looks like Odama but fun.

Also, yeah, looks like it was animated by Terry Gilliam.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited September 2011
    Marrakech! I'm so happy I bought that game and kicking myself for not playing it sooner when I did buy it ages ago. I forget, didn't I win that game?

I also purchased Battle Line recently. I checked out a copy from the PAX TT library and played a game with Jeremy.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Guys...hate to break it to you but I have beaten Zelda Outlands, both quests, twice, without a FAQ.

It was a pain to do but so worth it.
  • Has there been a PAX Omegathon that included Mega Man?
  • Scrym: Conrad will not be back in the city until next Wednesday/Thursday. Also I have to assume you were talking about the fantastic Korean fried chicken that is Bon Chon. I personally prefer the soy garlic glaze to the spicy one.
  • And now to completely derail this thread:

I suspected it for a while, but now I have proof: Scott is a fair-weather fan.
  • And now to completely derail this thread:

I suspected it for a while, but now I have proof: Scott is a fair-weather fan.
    No, I'm a self-hating fan.
  • No you are a fair-weather fan. You refuse to wear a piece of clothing because it is associated with a team that is losing, but you would wear if the team was winning. If you were a self-hating fan, you'd wear the hoodie exactly because you hate yourself or your support of the team and bear the emberrassment of it and the harrassment you'd receive for it.
  • No you are a fair-weather fan. You refuse to wear a piece of clothing because it is associated with a team that is losing, but you would wear if the team was winning. If you were a self-hating fan, you'd wear the hoodie exactly because you hate yourself or your support of the team and bear the embarrassment of it and the harassment you'd receive for it.
    No, a fair-weather fan who will no longer be a fan of a team if they are losing. Or worse yet they could be a front-runner who changes which team they are a fan of so they are always a fan of the winning team no matter what team that happens to be.

Regardless of how well my teams do, I'm still a fan of the same teams. It's just in New York we are self-hating, in that we will boo our own team when they suck. Other cities cheer for themselves no matter how shitty they are. St. Louis is notoriously nice in this regard. But even when we boo our own team, we will not abide other people booing our team. Only we are allowed to do that. Our shit sucks, but it's better than your shit!

Likewise, when we know our team can't win, we will instead gain pleasure from our rivals losing. New York Giants lost too many free agents and have too many injuries to do anything good this season unless there is some incredible luck. Not wearing their merch is a form of booing the bums that remain. That doesn't mean the season is a wash. Fuck the Eagles up the ass with a 2x4 with nails sticking out of it! Bunch of scumbags.
  • edited September 2011
    Sorry, for the typos. I was writing from my phone and english isn't my first language.

The definition of a fair weather fan is a fan who will not support his or her team if the team is losing, and will only show support if the team is winning. You refuse to wear a hoodie of your favorite team based on the fact that they are losing. You refuse to make your allegiance to the team known based on their lack of success. You refuse to support your team when they are losing. You are a fair-weather fan.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • PAX keynote troll: keep it secret until he walks out on stage. Billy Mitchell.
  • PAX keynote troll: keep it secret until he walks out on stage. Jack Thomson.
    You win
  • PAX keynote troll: keep it secret until he walks out on stage. Rick Astley.
    You win
    At least spell his name properly.
  • Am I the only one who only sees a very small part of the Controller Evolution chart? Roughly: from NES PowerPad in the top left to TurboDub in the bottom right.
  • edited September 2011
    Am I the only one who only sees a very small part of the Controller Evolution chart? Roughly: from NES PowerPad in the top left to TurboDub in the bottom right.
    No, I get the same thing. This was the closest thing I could find. If anyone is feeling less lazy, save that photo, then drag it onto google image search.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Guys...hate to break it to you but I have beaten Zelda Outlands, both quests, twice, without a FAQ.

I beat the first quest of Zelda C. The second quest started out rather insane.

QUEST? I never even beat the first dungeon. Then again, i haven't tried in years. I guess I know what I must do.
  • If anyone is feeling less lazy, save that photo, then drag it onto google image search.
    Found something. It's not prefect, but it does let you zoom to any part of the image you want to see in a good resolution.

QUEST? I never even beat the first dungeon. Then again, i haven't tried in years. I guess I know what I must do.
    Yes there is a second quest, and the beginning of that is something EVERYONE should experience (i.e. how to get the sword). I actually replayed it and streamed it yesterday and was able to get 4 fairies without looking up a faq. Nice to know I still have some skills.
  • Despite having played the original zelda completely through over a hundred times (every Saturday for years) and having beaten the first quest just a couple years ago (picked up the controller and just played from start to finish in one setting fairly quickly), I don't believe I ever played through much of the second quest. I'll have to do that. I just wish I had an enormous TV and a couch to play from like I did way-back.
  • I'm not sure I'm understanding "Rock of Ages". Just did the Leonardo Divinci level without building anything. It seems like every level is first three boulders win.
  • It seems like every level is first three boulders win.
    Yeah, the concept and art is great, but they didn't figure the math out very well at all. The defenses need to be much stronger. I would have set it up such that five perfect and completely undamaged balls will do exactly enough damage to win. Even getting hit by one tiny point of damage will mean you need at least one more ball. Also more time and more money for building defenses. Also, get rid of spending gold on upgrading the ball itself.
  • What did I just hear listening this episode. Jumping over the flagpole and making shit up in same sentence. I totally jumped over a flagpole in Super Mario Bros when I was kid.

Now I have to go and try that on a emulator until I can make sure that it is truly true.
  • What did I just hear listening this episode. Jumping over the flagpole and making shit up in same sentence. I totally jumped over a flagpole in Super Mario Bros when I was kid.

Now I have to go and try that on a emulator until I can make sure that it is truly true.
    No need.
  • It took me a little bit to find the original manual and map, here it is for someone else's convenience.

I bite my thumb at your declaring NES-Zelda-less folk non-gamers. My mom was crazy restrictive about video games so I started with Commodore 64, Atari and PC games until I bought a PS1, missing the NES-SNES systems outside of playing a lot of Sega Channel at a friend's house. I've tinkered with the first Zelda before but never played through. That said, I'm playing through it now.
  • I've never owned any Pre-N64 Nintendo systems. Never owned a Gamecube either.
    I have, however, owned every Sega console ever at one point or another.