This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GLBTQABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP

edited September 2011 in Everything Else
Are you gay? Or whatever?
Why?
Anecdotes, observations, etc.

Comments

• "Whatever" sounds about right.
  • Why? That is like why is someone white.
  • This thread could have opened much better honestly.
  • With a title like GLBTQABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP what can you expect?
  • Less of a reason to facepalm.

To answer the question, I'm bi. Been so for ten years or so.
  • Im straight. For 29 years now.
  • I'm single. For 21 years now.
  • Y'know, I'm not sure. Is there a list of sexualities somewhere? Wikipedia is giving me some kind of "polysexual" nonsense, which is dreadfully vague. I've never really needed a name, but I think I could pick it out from a list.
  • edited September 2011
    I'm heterosexual.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Unless I am trying to have sex with you, my sexual preferences are hardly your business. :P
  • Unless I am trying to have sex with you, my sexual preferences are hardly your business. :P
    You know what? I think this is a great answer.
    Let us construct a pyramid of tolerance and modesty.
    That imgur URL... oops.
  • I knew someone who was confused because she liked women but was attracted to just one man. She didn't know what box she now fitted it.

I told her "false dyke-otomy".

She didn't spot it. I thought it was too dangerous to explain the joke. I can't tell whether the humour outweighs the offensiveness on that one.

I'm straight myself. Most of my friends aren't so I feel like the odd one out all the time.
  • I knew someone who was confused because she liked women but was attracted to just one man. She didn't know what box she now fitted it.

I told her "false dyke-otomy".

She didn't spot it. I thought it was too dangerous to explain the joke. I can't tell whether the humour outweighs the offensiveness on that one.
    A brilliant pun. I tip my hat to you.
  • I'm whatever. Postmodern, if you really must know.

Why? Why not?

Observations? I've been glad to see identity politics fading in recent years. I wish the term queer had caught on, since I find it friendlier and easier to say than LGBTQQA. But I'm also glad that fear of acronym expansion hasn't stopped community organizations from welcoming more people in, and I'm glad that "allies" don't seem as scared as they used to be that they might be mistaken for one of us. (I do wish they'd double-purpose the damn Q, though. I'm still not sure we need two of them.)
  • easier to say than LGBTQQA.
    Rearrange it. QLTBAG. Quiltbag! I've adopted that. But I never seen the A in groups names. What is A?
  • easier to say than LGBTQQA.
    Rearrange it. QLTBAG. Quiltbag! I've adopted that. But I never seen the A in groups names. What is A?
    A is Allies. In a way I hate this. Why does the acronym need to explicitly state that people who are with us, are with us? But what the heck, if I get a letter they can have one too.
  • I should make a note that one should make a distinction between gender identification and sexual preference. I personally identify as male and prefer women, but, for instance, one of my friends prefers men while identifying as "fuck your gender binary."
  • I identify as chronosexual. I came out 4 years ago in 1837.
  • I'm sort of in the "fuck your sexual preference" boat. I don't think its as simple as gay/straight/bi. There are many degrees in between as far as I'm concerned. Right now I like the ladies, and I'm cool with that. As long as they're a consenting adult, fuck whoever you damn well please.
  • "fuck your gender binary."
    This.

A lot of comments on this thread seem basically Pomo to me in their philosophy (even when people identify as primarily something-or-another). Pomo actually is sort of a thing. I read the book when it first came out, and while I don't remember it clearly enough to fully vouch for it, I was nodding my head the whole time.

Kate Bornstein's Gender Outlaw was also somewhat formative for me (the writing style is kinda crappy, but the ideas expressed are pretty solid. My own gender expression is almost exclusively female, but ever since reading Gender Outlaw I think of myself as "transgressively gendered" because I'm not particularly interested in conforming to what others want my gender to be. I see gender as a playground, a toy, a workshop, not a prison.
  • I hate the term "tolerance." It assumes a moral high ground. How would you feel if someone said they "tolerated" your lifestyle?
  • OK, now do people consider pedophilia a natural sexual preference? I mean it was acceptable back in the time of the Greeks/Romans. I guess that may not be pedophilia and maybe hebephilia and ephebophilia. Or what about zoophilia? If our sexuality is nature over nurture then are they not just as valid?
  • I am a stereotypical heterosexual privileged white male breadwinner.
  • OK, now do people consider pedophilia a natural sexual preference? I mean it was acceptable back in the time of the Greeks/Romans. I guess that may not be pedophilia and maybe hebephilia and ephebophilia. Or what about zoophilia? If our sexuality is nature over nurture then are they not just as valid?
    No, because those varieties of sex do not allow the other party to consent (either because one is nonsentient or just too young to understand the nature and risks of sex), so that's rape.
  • No, because those varieties of sex do not allow the other party to consent (either because one is nonsentient or just too young to understand the nature and risks of sex), so that's rape.
    I used to have a problem with zoophilia because of the consent thing, but then someone on the forums pointed something out: animals don't consent to being eaten, either. Horses don't consent to being trained for riding or racing. So, I think the issue of non-consent in animals is largely moot.
  • edited September 2011
    I did not say it was a moral majority acceptable sexual preference. I said a natural sexual preference. Meaning that some derangement in the brain did not cause it. As for zoophhilia don't dogs hump or try to hump people? Couldn't that be seen as consent? And age consent laws are different all around the USA with the youngest being 16. Now around the world the youngest is 12 I think.. So how about them apples?
    Post edited by KapitänTim on