This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bowls are better than plates

edited September 2011 in Flamewars
Unless you are plating food to look fancy, bowls are just better than plates.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Unless you have a large steak to cut up, then a bowl is a pain in the ass.

EDIT: Also, sandwiches generally fit better on plates.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Knives are better than forks.
  • Chopsticks are superior to all utensils.
  • Knives are better than forks.
    Especially if you have one of those eating knives with the blunt bit on the side.
    Liar.

Chopsticks with a Spork on the end of one and knife on the other.
    Liar.

Captain Tim: The Modern Prometheus.
  • All of you are wrong; Genius Tools are the only way to go.
  • Plates are better for keeping several different food items on at one time. A little mixing between my salad, my broccoli, my pork chops, and my potatoes is fine, but I don't want them all on top of each other.
  • The question isn't one of conformation, it's one of material.

The correct answer is: bread. Bowl, plate - doesn't matter, so long as it's bread.
  • I suddenly want to eat everything off of a bread plate now.
  • edited September 2011
    I don't see why you can't have both. Get a bowl with a lid. Use lid as plate. Bread bowl with a bread lid. Chopstick with spork on one end and knife on the other.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • The difference between having a bowl and not having a bowl is greater than the difference between having a plate and not having a plate. You can eat a steak off any hard surface, but a bowl or some sort of cup is necessary for soup/liquid consumption.

A plate is basically a portable food surface. A paper towel will serve as a good replacement for a plate in many situations.
  • Bowls have it's uses. Plate has the MOST uses!
  • I'm a big fan of the wider, flatter bowls that are quite plate-like. Bread bowl technology does need some work though. How'm I gonna eat my Pho out of a bread bowl?
  • Plates are better for keeping several different food items on at one time. A little mixing between my salad, my broccoli, my pork chops, and my potatoes is fine, but I don't want them all on top of each other.
    It isn't that hard to keep things separate in a bowl, you just have to build in layers.

And you could always use several small bowls for different things and mix them at your discretion.
  • All of you are wrong; Genius Tools are the only way to go.
    What are these Genius Tools of which you speak?
    How'm I gonna eat my Pho out of a bread bowl?
    You need a bread bowl with crust on the inside, to prevent Pho soakage.
  • You need a bread bowl with crust on the inside, to prevent Pho soakage.
    That'd have to be a mighty substantial crust.
  • Bread bowl inside of another bread bowl should cover the soakage.
  • Eat everything out of a big ramen bowl
  • Clam chowder bowl. Bowl made of chowder.
  • I do agree that for foods that work when eaten from a bowl, that a bowl is better at containing the food and keeping it from getting all over the place. This is especially true when not eating at a proper dining table, such as me usually eating whilst half-reclining on my couch.

A great example is pasta with sauce. It can be served in a bowl or on a plate, but the bowl will greatly decrease the odds of a stray piece of pasta escaping and getting on the floor.
  • edited September 2011
    You need a bread bowl with crust on the inside, to prevent Pho soakage.
    My head is filled with scenes from Yakkitate Japan!
    Post edited by zehaeva on
  • I do agree that for foods that work when eaten from a bowl, that a bowl is better at containing the food and keeping it from getting all over the place. This is especially true when not eating at a proper dining table, such as me usually eating whilst half-reclining on my couch.
    This. I own more bowls than I do plates. I prefer eating out of them vs. plates. Our dinner table is used to stack board games we are too lazy to put away.
  • While we're at it, why stop at bowls? Cups are better than bowls. "Dining" is a pointless abstract construct. Consume all calories through a straw or hose, possibly from a cup but ideally from a big refrigerated vat.
  • AmpAmp
    edited September 2011
    Spoon is the best. With the exception of steak it can handle most things. Also easy on the transport. Same with bowls. They are, for a student, the best utensils ever made.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • While we're at it, why stop at bowls? Cups are better than bowls. "Dining" is a pointless abstract construct. Consume all calories through a straw or hose, possibly from a cup but ideally from a big refrigerated vat.
    I have giant mugs that double as bowls. They're my favorite piece of servingware.
  • Loaded mashed potatos out of mugs... Mmmmmm.
    It's been done.
  • edited September 2011
    I was just was expressing my want.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
    Individual shepard's pie out of a mug...