This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Linux presentation software

edited September 2011 in Everything Else
Need something that can do fancy animations and the such. ATM I use keynote for Mac. But that doesn't run under linux and costs monies. (Flash has also proven to be sufficient)
Keynote has a nice feature where it makes a high quality video of your presentation that automatically pauses between slides. I like that.

I want elements on the screen to slide around and change, and for transitions to be dynamic. Static picture -> fancy fade -> new static picture won't do it. Both Microsoft PowerPoint and Apple Keynote offer what I want, Keynote much better than PowerPoint, but they're both fine. Flash, depending on what I wanna do can be a bit--- annoying. But that also works for the most part.

For instance, right now, I want my presentation to have Nyancat running across space working as a progress bar, with the contents of the presentation sliding in above it. Maybe have the tip of a planet or another kind of round object that it runs on top of, and when that spins, the background also spins, showing the next slide of the presentation rotate into place. And the cat moves slightly faster than the object it's running on, so eventually it'll make it to the other side of the screen. Motion blurs and picture hue/contrast/brightness changings much appreciated. And being able to fancy-fi text with a few clicks inside the presentation software.
I would've maybe considered using video editing software, but I have no idea how to put in auto-pausing like Keynote does. And I don't wanna wait for long After Effects render-times!

Right, yes, something that let's me slide objects across the screen and works on linux.

Comments

• OpenOffice has a PowerPoint clone.
    It's unusable shit.

Honestly, I hate most presentation styles that involve dynamic slides. YMMV, and it can be done well, but I personally avoid it at all cost.
  • Most presentation software is total shit anyway unless you're just using it to toss up static slides -- the other glitz and crap just detracts from the content of your presentation. In that respect, OpenOffice is just as good at tossing up static slides as PowerPoint, Keynote, or just about anything else.

For more details, read Edward Tufte's criticisms of PowerPoint.
  • Learn LaTeX and use the Beamer doc class.
    It's unusable shit.
    Yes, PowerPoint, that's what I said.
  • Yes, PowerPoint, that's what I said.
    PowerPoint is much more usable than the OpenOffice clone...
  • Need something that can do fancy animations and the such.
    No you don't. Please don't.
    PowerPoint is much more usable than the OpenLibreOffice clone...
  • Ooh, looks like he has a newer presentation that's even better.
    PowerPoint is much more usable than the OpenOffice clone...
    Of course, that's kind of like saying chicken poop stinks less than dog poop.
  • edited September 2011
    I assure you, I know how to make powerpoints. The problem isn't fancy animtions, it's that people don't focus on keeping their presentations readable and not making them distract from the actual things being said.

Sometimes when explaining things, rather than just updating about things, making your slides more visually engaging is good. For instance, if there is a chart with a lot of information, starting zoomed in and revealing more information over a short stretch or time can help people understand the relations between factions better. Or if you're doing an analysis of a written text, you might want to single out words or sentences from the text, and then having the stuffs you want stay static while everything else slides away is a less confusing way of handling that then, say, a fade would have been.

If you're doing PR-y type stuffs, and have a clever word play you have to work in, making a word on screen change subtly makes the slogan-y thing look a lot better than if it simply said both versions of the sentence or had a boring transition between them (like a slide change).

And if you're trying to sell someone on your steam punk game idea, having cogs spinning in the foreground, with artwork showing in the background between bulletins would help that.

Don't underestimate neat things. They are neat. If you could chose between a screwdriver and a screwdriver for the same price, and seemingly same quality, but with Ctuhlu on it's packaging, which one would you chose?
    Post edited by Aria on
  • Don't underestimate neat things. They are neat. If you could chose between a screwdriver and a screwdriver for the same price, and seemingly same quality, but with Ctuhlu on it's packaging, which one would you chose?
    Probably the regular screwdriver. It's less gaudy.
  • Sometimes when explaining things, rather than just updating about things, making your slides more visually engaging is good. For instance, if there is a chart with a lot of information, starting zoomed in and revealing more information over a short stretch or time can help people understand the relations between factions better. Or if you're doing an analysis of a written text, you might want to single out words or sentences from the text, and then having the stuffs you want stay static while everything else slides away is a less confusing way of handling that then, say, a fade would have been.

If you're doing PR-y type stuffs, and have a clever word play you have to work in, making a word on screen change subtly makes the slogan-y thing look a lot better than if it simply said both versions of the sentence or had a boring transition between them (like a slide change).

And if you're trying to sell someone on your steam punk game idea, having cogs spinning in the foreground, with artwork showing in the background between bulletins would help that.
    I disagree. All that stuff is just junk that distracts from the actual message. If you're just doing a sales presentation where glitz is all that matters, then I suppose it's fine. However, if you actually want to inform something, PowerPoint and similar packages are some of the worst things you can use.
  • I disagree. All that stuff is just junk that distracts from the actual message. If you're just doing a sales presentation where glitz is all that matters, then I suppose it's fine. However, if you actually want to inform something, PowerPoint and similar packages are some of the worst things you can use.
    Oh, ho ho, I'm not trying to inform anyone about anything. I'm trying to pretend to inform them about things while talking very confidentially, and having a very fancy video to steal people's attention. Of course, viewers will come off with some basic knowledge, but much more importantly, they'll know that I know a lot more about the topic =P That being said, stuff moving can genuinely help relay information.

Ima try your thing now, Apreche, but I somehow doubt you have the same priorities =P
  • Ima try your thing now, Apreche, but I somehow doubt you have the same priorities =P
    Almost definitely not.
  • Here is another resource for learning how to make nice html5 presentations: html5rocks
  • edited September 2011
    That being said, stuff moving can genuinely help relay information.
    Maybe, but it has to be used very, very, very judiciously. Otherwise it's just a distraction that doesn't help relay information at all.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on