This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hard Drive Failure (HELP)

2»

Comments

• any kind of sync, is not the best solution to your problem.
    He doesn't even know what his problem is. Jesus fuck. I thought he might have wanted faster reads, but after:
    It doesn't necessarily have to be RAID I just need a way to keep those 2 drives in sync in both OS's
    I'm utterly confused. Ubuntu can just read a freaking NTFS partition fine, why the hell would you need to duplicate it first if you want to access the files.
  • Ok I'm sorry if I confused people let me try to explain this better. I now have 3 1TB drives. 1 for files, 1 for a backup of those files and 1 for my Ubuntu and Windows 7 installs. My motherboard unfortunately doesn't have RAID options I could find. I need a way to keep those 2 drives in sync in a way that both OS's will be able to read it. rsync it seems will work so I will probably go about setting up that.
  • I need a way to keep those 2 drives in sync in a way that both OS's will be able to read it. rsync it seems will work so I will probably go about setting up that.
    Get a NAS.
  • Get a NAS.
    I don't have the money to build another computer. I think RSync will work.
  • I need a way to keep those 2 drives in sync in a way that both OS's will be able to read it.
    Which two specifically? You mentioned three, so that's not much progress. Regardless, files drive and backup drive (one 1TB drive for 2 OS's is batshit insane though). I already answered your shit for you.
    Ubuntu can just read a freaking NTFS partition fine
    so that entire part of your question is useless. Your solution is shit though, get some network storage for backing up.
  • I know this solution sucks but it's all I've got until I can build a NAS. For now I will give up on having it work in both OS's and use BackInTime.
  • What do you really need synced? I mean if its music and videos you can do it manually once in a while. And for documents and shit just use dropbox.
  • documents and shit just use dropbox.
  • edited October 2011
    Seriously, everything program you use is probably hosted. I can get the Adobe Suite, all my Steam games, Windows ISOs, and a Ninite installer queued for download in minutes. All you need for media you don't want to lose is an external HD that you update manually (I like Seagate's GoFlex FreeAgent, which was 1.5TB for $99), and push all your docs to Google Docs, Dropbox, or Amazon Cloud.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I really do have bad luck.
    A week ago my external HD (SeaGate Expansion 1TB) dropped, and the USB connector broke off. I bought a new enclosure on Newegg, and boom, good as new.
    Not even three hours after I got it going, my brother knocked it over (damn midget cables) Went to turn it back on, and I hear some beeping. It won't even connect to my Laptop.
    How bad is it doc?
    Is this the final blow for this HD?
    Is there some way of getting the data off it? (has everything from the old family computer so it's a bit important)
    Could I take out the actual disc?
  • I really do have bad luck.
    A week ago my external HD (SeaGate Expansion 1TB) dropped, and the USB connector broke off. I bought a new enclosure on Newegg, and boom, good as new.
    Not even three hours after I got it going, my brother knocked it over (damn midget cables) Went to turn it back on, and I hear some beeping. It won't even connect to my Laptop.
    How bad is it doc?
    Is this the final blow for this HD?
    Is there some way of getting the data off it? (has everything from the old family computer so it's a bit important)
    Don't worry about that hard drive. Just get a new one and copy all the files from your backup or archive.
  • Just get a new one and copy all the files from your backup or archive.
    You do know what he's going to say next, right?
    What else is there to say?

*sigh*

The time to ask about recovering data is before you think you've lost it. Come on people, get a clue about living in the modern world.
  • edited October 2011
    Yes. Then connect it to your motherboard and run Spinrite on it. If that fails you're out of luck.
    has everything from the old family computer so it's a bit important
    And that's why you do have a backup of it, right? Right? RIGHT?
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on

Backup, is that a Linux thing?

All joking aside, I do have a backup.
    It's just, my backup doesn't these "important" files like this one has (sometimes I think I taught my mom too much)