This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Teaching Emerging Technologies Class

edited September 2011 in Everything Else
Rym and Scott are always talking about how they'd like to teach computer classes but it isn't competitive in the job market. I work in technology and was asked by a local community college to teach an Emerging Technologies class to Business Administration students who's only computer experience is MS Office 101.

The rubric is at least 15 years old because it includes things like printers and zip drives as emerging technologies while completely skipping out, well, anything that's still used today.

I have a few ideas but I wanted to see what you all thought should be taught in this kind of course keeping in mind that these people could end up providing feedback software purchasing decisions for large companies at worst case but mostly just need an interest in being a nerd.

I figured I'd go over some high level architectures and hardware, have everyone build a website/wordpress, do a day that is a remote class, and possibly even something like start the lecture off with a TED Talk related to the subject of the day (they are 3hr once a week classes). Please let me know your thoughts and ideas! I'd like to make some converted nerds here.

Comments

• You might want to work on the title. When we say emerging technology, it is usually intended to refer to scientific fields that are on the cusp of demonstrating their first practical uses, such as nanotechnology.
  • I didn't write it but you have a point. Also full disclosure: I'm completely under-qualified to teach this class. :)
  • I like the idea of showing TED Talks related to the various topics. Also, explaining a few high-level architectures sounds like a good idea. Since they're business students, you might want to talk a bit about MIS and Enterprise Architecture, even though it's not as sexy as consumer internets and all.

If you're not required to finalize your syllabus before the first class, you might want to get a sense of your students' level of experience with technology before coming to final conclusions about what you'll teach. I wouldn't trust the assessment that these students only have MS Office 101. I'm a b-school student myself (Masters candidate, studying part-time) and was deeply irked when a class in "Innovative Marketing" turned into an exercise in WordPress, SEO, and social networking tools. Most of us in the class were already quite experienced with WP and social networking, and spent a good bit of time complaining among ourselves about not learning anything new.

I do wonder what the main focus of the class is supposed to be. I agree with Matt's point about Emerging Technologies. It seems like this isn't a basic computer literacy class, if they've already got MS Office skills. Does the old rubric explain what the primary objective of the class is?
  • Here's the entire syllabus which interestingly I am not allowed to change more than 10% as it's too hard to get through the bureaucratic process of the school. Each # is a week for the course. I do not, however, have to teach to it. It's a good read if you have a minute. What year do you think it was written?
    COURSE DESCRIPTION:
    Students will explore changing trends in peripheral equipment and software, review
    technology within the framework of today's business environment, and analyze the
    future of hardware and software usage in various business fields.

COURSE COMPETENCIES:
    During this course, the student will be expected to:
    1.Understand how ergonomics and new designs affect productivity and the work
    place.
    1.1 Investigate various keyboard styles.
    1.2 Describe workstations and the relationship to the human factor.
    1.3 Discuss criteria for ergonomic standards.
    2.Explain the various categories of newly developed software.
    2.1 Review software packages that are new to the industry. (If possible, be a
    beta tester for a software package).
    2.2 Compare like-software that best meets the needs of a company.
    2.3 Understand how authoring software works. (If possible, use the software).
    2.4 Set criteria for purchasing software.
    2.5 Explore security issues.
    2.5.1 Virus protection software.
    2.5.2 Firewall.
    3. Examine new hardware and peripheral devices.
    3.1 Point out differences in scanners.
    3.2 Investigate various kinds of printers.
    3.2.1 Compare output of laser printers.
    3.2.2 Compare features of colored printers.
    3.2.3 Research other output devices such as speakers, plotters, etc.
    3.3 Understand the various modern speeds and features.
    3.4 Explore DVD.
    3.5 Describe the use of a digital camera.
    4. Explain the role of communications in the technological global environment.
    4.1 Investigate voice technology.
    4.2 Identify communication software.
    4.3 Describe how Net Meeting functions.
    4.4 Understand the concepts of conferencing.
    4.5 Research wireless technology and its implication on business
    communication.
    5. Understand how the Internet affects day-to-day operations in the business world.
    5.1 Understand web-page design.
    5.1.1 Produce a home page.
    5.1.2 Create hyperlinks.
    5.2 Explain chatrooms and usenet.
    5.3 Understand FTP and downloading files.
    5.4 Explore intranets and how businesses are using them.
    5.5 Explore extranets and their use.
    5.6 Perform Internet research.
    6. Assess the features of new technologies in operating systems.
    6.1 Explain how file compression word.
    6.2 List advantages and disadvantages of zip drives.
    6.3 Identify various forms of system backup.
    6.4 Review new operating systems.
    7. Explore the use of multimedia in business.
    7.1 List the specific hardware needed for multimedia use.
    7.2 Understand video streaming
    7.3 Discuss the use of sound clips
    7.4 Access Plug & Play devices
    8. Investigate the expansive use of technology.
    8.1 Determine how EDI (electronic data interchange) is utilized.
    8.2 Explore the ethical issues related to new technology.
    9. Attend a trade show/conference or business field trip.
    10. Read current journals/trade magazines.
    11. Project futuristic trends.
    12. Issues for the new millennium.
  • 5.6 Perform Internet research.
    I bet none of the students have ever done this before.

Seriously though, I think most of that is fairly vague enough that you should be able to bring in modern topics anyway. The best idea, I think, would be to figure out what the class' familiarity with technology is, and go from there. Heck, you could talk about the developments within the past year and a half with information security for a full semester, it's definitely an emerging technology.
  • Um, wow. Just wow. I wanna be there for the day you explain usenet! Perhaps you should also teach your students how to set up their .plan files.

Okay, so this looks like it's supposed to prepare them for working in an office and knowing what all the various pieces do. It feels like the entire concept of the course is out of date.

But that being said, when I really try to focus on the core of the issue, there are some basic computer literacies that people need and often lack. Like, what IS an operating system (not what the various flavors are, what it IS), basic understanding of multimedia including video conferencing, looking at ethical/privacy issues for communications technologies of various types, figuring out how to select software effectively. And if you think about those basic issues in our modern context, I'll bet there's an interesting class you could put together.
  • Teach what is on the syllabus (or silly-bus as it is) during the first 5 minutes. Then teach relevant information the rest of the class.
  • teach an Emerging Technologies class to Business Administration students who's only computer experience is MS Office 101.
    If they have made it to college (albeit county college but college none the less) and their only experience is MS Office 101 do they really deserve to be in college?
  • teach an Emerging Technologies class to Business Administration students who's only computer experience is MS Office 101.
    If they have made it to college (albeit county college but college none the less) and their only experience is MS Office 101 do they really deserve to be in college?
    I suppose I should say their only prerequisite computer classes are MS Office.

So how would you gauge a classes technological literacy? Ask them the nerdiest thing they've done? Give them a questionnaire about certain technologies?
    I suppose I should say their only prerequisite computer classes are MS Office.

So how would you gauge a classes technological literacy? Ask them the nerdiest thing they've done? Give them a questionnaire about certain technologies?
    If you've been given a class list with email addresses, you could send them a short survey before class starts. Or, on the first day of class, you could ask a few questions for a show of hands (who's used twitter, who's blogged, who's set up their home wifi . . . and maybe get more advanced depending on how the answers are going). Or, at the first class you could ask the students to introduce themselves (assuming this isn't one of those huge lecture-hall classes) and ask people to say a few words about how they currently use computers and the internet.
    Um, really? "Deserve?" I believe that everyone deserves continuing education; it's just unfortunate that everyone doesn't have the opportunity.
  • I believe that everyone deserves continuing education
    Yes. This however does not mean you have to force everyone through college. Some people just can't read. Look at these forums for example.
  • I believe that everyone deserves continuing education; it's just unfortunate that everyone doesn't have the opportunity.
    I think the intent here is to look at a very real problem: people entering college without basic life skills.

The majority of the people in my "freshman" classes at RIT had no business being out of their parents' houses, had minimal English skills (despite being native speakers), and were mostly taking high-school-level catchup classes.
  • had no business being out of their parents' houses
    Vague and broader than the average Americunt's ass.
    had minimal English skills (despite being native speakers),
    Doesn't make for lacking basic life skills.
    were mostly taking high-school-level catchup classes.
    High school doesn't prepare you for life, it prepares you for continued education. Taking those classes doesn't mean you lack basic life skills, just basic schooling skills.
  • Re: college students without basic life skills

Yeah, so I spent last (1st) year in the dorms with other Freshmen. I didn't notice too many students who suffered tremendously. A few didn't really know how to take care of themselves on their own, others didn't know how to maintain a good academic record, but as a whole, they were fine.

There was this one kid, though, who lived across from me. Holy fucking hell that kid should have stayed home. Computer Engineer, ridiculously overweight, living in a quad with three other roommates. He never cleaned up after himself, almost never showered, and was generally just a complete mess.

He somehow made it through the first quarter okay, but about two weeks into the winter quarter, I guess he just decided that the 15 or so minute walk to class was too much for him, and gave up. Now, if one wanted to give up on college respectfully and honorably, they would probably call their parents, drop out, and leave ASAP to pursue a different life path. Nope, not this kid.

He decided to stay in the dorms for the rest of the quarter, and just not go to class. Ever. I discussed this with a number of floormates, who all concluded that he actually never left the building once after making his decision. He literally sat in his room all day, playing videogames and marathoning anime, until he needed more food. At which point, he would either get a friend to go bring back food from the cafeteria, or go down to the basement convenience store himself, and stock up on nothing but soda, chips, and microwaveable foods. The room he lived in was perfectly okay, his three roommates took care of themselves and their respective areas. The one corner of the room where this kid lived, however... He brought his bed down so he could sit on it as a chair in front of his computer, passing out right there when he was done. There was a literal *pile* of empty cans and bags of chips under AND next to his bed. One step into that room, and you would be hit across the face with the smell. Oh dear god, the smell. The smell of fat, unwashed computer engineering dropout, along with the piles of trash he never bothered to clean up.

The other members of the floor took pity on his roommates and let them crash on their floors whenever they didn't have another place to stay. I lived across from them, and can only be grateful that they left their door closed most of the time. The kid left at the end of the winter quarter, though, so his roommates basically were able to live in their previously unlivable room again. Oh my god, that kid was a disgusting, miserable failure. I feel bad for him, though, 'cause he seemed like an otherwise nice person. He just failed at college and life in the absolute worst, most tactless way.

Good on him, though, 'cause a few months after leaving RIT, he seems to have gotten a job at home, and may be considering going to a community college of some sort. That said, there's a kid who needed some damn life classes before getting into college.
  • I think the intent here is to look at a very real problem: people entering college without basic life skills.
    Agreed, on that point. It's disturbing how many college students need to take remedial courses. There's a lot wrong with our educational system (I can only speak for US since it's all I really know), and I say this as someone who's stood in front of a classroom of unprepared students. I'm objecting instead to the conflation of "underserving" and "unprepared."
  • So to all of you - what skills should someone know to be technologically literate when leaving school? (to keep it in line with my course)
  • edited September 2011
    There's a lot wrong with our educational system (I can only speak for US since it's all I really know),
    Fun fact, every person I've ever talked about education with has said that education in their country has been getting worse or is being said it's getting worse. The problem lies also with society changing at a pace different from education. High school however isn't the place to teach life skills. You've got parents dammit, their task as parents doesn't end once you're conceived and have been breastfed.
    what skills should someone know to be technologically literate when leaving school?
    I'm not technologically literate. The vast majority of humanity is not, Scrym very likely included. There's simply too much technology to be sure you're literate with all of it. So the only two answers to your question are: Know how to ask a question and Know how to read a manual.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Also, know how to use Google at least semi effectively to look up stuff.
  • what skills should someone know to be technologically literate when leaving school?
    Also, know how to use Google at least semi effectively to look up stuff.
    That, basically. Know how to figure out how to use new software/hardware. Learn how to use online resources (forums, Google-fu, MSDN articles, etc.) to troubleshoot and learn new things. How to sort out reputable information from disreputable information.
  • Know how to figure out how to use new software/hardware.
    We're talking technologically literate. Not just computer literate you daft load of...
  • Know how to figure out how to use new software/hardware.
    We're talking technologically literate. Not just computer literate you daft load of...
    You're right, we're not talking exclusively about computer literacy. I don't see a reason to insult him over making a valid statement though.
  • I'm not technologically literate.
    I'm not sure that's how we intend to use the word literate. I don't have a PhD in Rhetoricism but am considered literate. People with a 7th grade reading level are considered literate.

The issue with technology is there are many people that aren't even at the '7th grade reading level' of literacy. The question is, what is needed to get people to that 'ready to work in the world' level of literacy?

Thanks to all for your suggestions! This is helpful.
  • The issue with technology is there are many people that aren't even at the '7th grade reading level' of literacy. The question is, what is needed to get people to that 'ready to work in the world' level of literacy?
    And there's many areas where I'm not at that level. I am but literate if few things.
    The question is, what is needed to get people to that 'ready to work in the world' level of literacy?
    Depends on their situation.
  • You should make their first assignment to list one thing with computers technology that they wish they knew how to do. It'd help get a good feel for what they think would be useful and don't know.

After that you can also make their second assignment to google up instructions on how to accomplish their answer to that first one. Teach them the power of google and allows you to let them do your work for you.
  • You should make their first assignment to list one thing with computers technology that they wish they knew how to do. It'd help get a good feel for what they think would be useful and don't know.

After that you can also make their second assignment to google up instructions on how to accomplish their answer to that first one. Teach them the power of google and allows you to let them do your work for you.
    Awesome.