This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tablets (the iPad kind)

Comments

• Double resolution is reasonable and possible.
    Hat time!

• I helped my father pick out a tablet today, and he settled on the new Galaxy Tab. I gotta say, it's a pretty fine bit of kit, I'm more than a little tempted.
  • Double resolution is reasonable and possible.
    Hat time!
    A classic.
  • Is anyone unhappy with the way the iPad screen looks? I have the first generation and text looks pretty crisp, video looks good. Even compared to my iPhone 4. Even improving that a little will be fine. Just push it a little beyond the 720 or 1080 mark so high definition content looks better.
  • Nobody was unhappy with the pre-iPhone 4 resolution either, but when they made it Retina, it looked way more crisp and everyone fell in love with it. It's not broken, but it's still worth improving.
  • Nobody was unhappy with the pre-iPhone 4 resolution either, but when they made it Retina, it looked way more crisp and everyone fell in love with it. It's not broken, but it's still worth improving.
    But not something Apple has to do in order to make a great product. At least, not 2048x1536.

Frankly, I don't know what else Apple has to do in order to improve the iPad other than to get more software onto the platform and convince publishers to take advantage of it. Maybe add an SD card slot? That'd be pretty awesome.
  • Frankly, I don't know what else Apple has to do in order to improve the iPad other than to get more software onto the platform and convince publishers to take advantage of it. Maybe add an SD card slot? That'd be pretty awesome.
    They will never add an SD slot.
  • Frankly, I don't know what else Apple has to do in order to improve the iPad other than to get more software onto the platform and convince publishers to take advantage of it. Maybe add an SD card slot? That'd be pretty awesome.
    They will never add an SD slot.
    Yeah, pretty much. They want to get your extra money for more storage.
  • edited March 2012
    That, plus it complicates the entire experience.
    • When is it safe to remove the SD card?
    • What happens to the apps/content that are on the card?
    • What happens if I remove the card while using said content?
    • So now a filesystem is something a user has to think about and manage?
    Apple wants to move everything to the cloud, anyway.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • The iPad 1 display is nice enough, 720p YouTube looks beautiful.

But going higher will make web pages much nicer. If you do 90% of web browsing on iPad its nice to have it look stunning.

But really, it's got to be about games. The ipad3 will be a portable 1080p games machine. Just think about that. 1080p and even higher in your hand. It's a new gaming philosophy and I would argue, a new game system.

Put it this way. I already own an iPad 2 yet want an iPad 3 (if rumors are true) more than a 3DS, vita or even Wii-U.

Helps that all the euro board games are coming over I guess :)

• edited March 2012
    Ok well the keynote just happened. Retina @ 15 inches with a quad-core gpu. And they also put the 4s camera in there. Also the battery life remains the same somehow?? Yepppp
    Post edited by johndis on
  • Ok well the keynote just happened. Retina @ 15 inches with a quad-core gpu. And they also put the 4s camera in there. Also the battery life remains the same somehow?? Yepppp
    Not quite the 4s camera (5 megapixels vs. 8 megapixels) but close.
  • Also the battery life remains the same somehow?? Yepppp
    This is because the device is a little bit heavier.
  • Oh, thought the 4s was 5mp, huh.
  • Also the battery life remains the same somehow?? Yepppp
    This is because the device is a little bit heavier.
    Oh right. Kinda crazy that it's like 2oz heavier but the battery went up to 42wh from 25wh.
  • iPad 2 is getting a 100 price drop also.
  • Are they really just calling it "the new iPad" ? I mean I guess they didn't call the newest iMac's the iMac 6 but its still kinda lame to me.
  • They don't number MacBooks or anything. They're probably trying to switch over to a yearly upgrade schedule like they have for their other computers.
  • It's going to be like iPod. They didn't call the 2nd gen iPod the iPod 2. They just called it the iPod, and it was up to us to be able to tell which generation was which. Just like the iPod nano, touch, shuffle all just have generations. iPhone and iPad are going to be like this from now on. They'll just be iPad and iPhone, and it's up to us to label them with the proper generation.
  • Honestly, I'd prefer numbers on the products. It'd be easier to identify version numbers. I'd much rather say "Yeah, I have a MacBook Air 5" than "I have the mid-2011 MacBook Air."
  • Honestly, I'd prefer numbers on the products. It'd be easier to identify version numbers. I'd much rather say "Yeah, I have a MacBook Air 5" than "I have the mid-2011 MacBook Air."
    This has never been a problem for Apple before. Having fewer names for the products is better for marketing, mindshare, and sales. I'm willing to bet that people feel worse if they have an iPad 1 and iPad 2 comes out. If they have an iPad and out comes, iPad they might not feel as bad, and might not even realize there is a new version.
    This has never been a problem for Apple before. Having fewer names for the products is better for marketing, mindshare, and sales. I'm willing to bet that people feel worse if they have an iPad 1 and iPad 2 comes out. If they have an iPad and out comes, iPad they might not feel as bad, and might not even realize there is a new version.
    Isn't this the opposite of what Apple wants?
  • edited March 2012
    Isn't this the opposite of what Apple wants?
    That's the opposite of what people think Apple wants. Apple does want to sell new hardware, but they'd feel safer if consumers said "Hey, my iPad broke. Better replaced it with an iPad." Rather than create a consumer who is constantly chasing the newest thing. The consumer chasing the newest thing is less loyal to the brand than the consumer who uses iOS devices because iOS are easy to use.

Imagine you know nothing about technology. You walk into an Apple store because you saw an iPad and they looked neat. Which generation doesn't matter. What that consumer cares about is that the prices range from $400 - $830 and some of the models connect to cell networks. Why is this one more expensive? Well, the screen is prettier.

Even people who enjoy technology fall into this trap. I have chased specs before and built my own PCs. But now I have a wonderful iMac. When it's time to buy a new iMac... well, I'll probably walk in and buy the base model iMac again.
    Post edited by Gundampilotspaz on
  • Apple can always make people get the new one for the sake of getting a new one buy changing the design like they always do. After a few years they'll make it look noticeably different and people with the older ones will want the newer ones when they feel theirs is inferior. I can see the non-numbering working in their favor so there are less people that wait until the newest model comes out to buy one.
  • edited March 2012
    Here's a stupid question: isn't the new, way higher resolution of the iPad 3 going to make videos look terrible on it? We don't get content in 1536p and most of what we consume is going to be in 360 or 480p. The iPad is something you usually hold somewhat close to your face, and even Blu Ray looks kinda bad if you're too close to the screen.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Here's a stupid question: isn't the new, way higher resolution of the iPad 3 going to make videos look terrible on it? We don't get content in 1536p and most of what we consume is going to be in 360 or 480p. The iPad is something you usually hold somewhat close to your face, and even Blu Ray looks kinda bad if you're too close to the screen.

The main reason behind a "blu-ray looking bad," which seems insane considering that's the highest resolution content is available in, is that on a 42" 1080P TV the pixel density is about 52 pixels per inch. The iPad 1/2's pixel density is 132 and the iPad 3 is 264. So 1080P video on an iPad will appear far crisper because the pixels are so tightly packed together. Even SD content looks pretty good on an iPad.

Of course, 1080P video will be black bared to get to the 16:9 ratio.
  • edited March 2012
    My main issue with the new iPad (and I'll get one if/when I get a tablet of some sort, unless it's close to when the next iPad after this one is likely to come out) is that it's more evidence that Apple is eventually going to kill the Mac OS and leave everyone with tablets, phones, and iPods running iOS. The new iPhone and updated iMovie for the iPad are now approaching the feature richness of their desktop counterparts which haven't been updated since 2009. If the Mac exists at all in the future, it may be just as a niche for developing iOS apps, but again, that's only until Apple ports Xcode and its related tools to iOS and perhaps offers a way to have more local (iCloud doesn't cut it) external storage.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
    I think this will also work the opposite way as well. Not putting out a big number will help take off the "sting" when a hardware revision isn't as revolutionary as people hype it up to be. Remember how people lost their shit b/c they wanted a "5" rather than a "4S"? Apple does not want to be dealing with that anymore.

• In other iPad news, has anyone seen these data plans? AT&T capped at 3GB, Verizon at 2GB. Have fun sucking down all that data over 4G, especially with app download sizes ballooning.