This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tablets (the iPad kind)

Comments

• Scott, are you making the argument against end-user customizability? Who are you, Apple?
  • Scott, are you making the argument against end-user customizability? Who are you, Apple?
    I'm not. If there is an SD slot, that's no problem. I just don't see that particular feature as a real necessity when the device contains its own storage. Thus, I'm not going to make/break purchasing decisions based on it.
  • It's also just outright cheaper to add storage with an SD/microSD card than buying a larger format device. Scott had to pay an extra $100 for his larger iPhone if I remember the pricing correctly. I got a 16 gig micro SD card for $13 or so not long ago.
  • edited June 2012
    I got a 16 gig micro SD card for $13 or so not long ago.
    When did prices get that low? Cripes.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • It's also just outright cheaper to add storage with an SD/microSD card than buying a larger format device. Scott had to pay an extra $100 for his larger iPhone if I remember the pricing correctly. I got a 16 gig micro SD card for $13 or so not long ago.
    Id honestly rather pay $87 extra than have another giant hole in my device, and a tiny ass card that can pop out. Less moving bits and shit is always good for devices imo.

• On my Note you have to remove the back plate to install an SD card and that's fine with me.

Giant hole? Hyperbole much? :)
  • Its huge!! I could rent that shit out as a studio apartment.
  • Wait are we still talking about the tablet or your mom?
  • edited June 2012
    I laughed so damn hard at the whole Nexus 7 announcement. Not only has google released /the/ cheep tablet (and, really, 8gb is nothing to sneeze at) but they've beaten Amazon to the punch in the UK.

I keep telling them region locking is the devil, and they didn't listen. Now they are in hell.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • edited June 2012
    I laughed so damn hard at the whole Nexus 7 announcement. Not only has google released /the/ cheep tablet (and, really, 8gb is nothing to sneeze at) but they've beaten Amazon to the punch in the UK.

I keep telling them region locking is the devil, and they didn't listen. Now they are in hell.
    Sorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
    We're working to bring devices to more countries as quickly as possible.
    Please check back again soon.
    See you in hell Google!
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I suspect that it isn't Google's fault. They might not have the rights to Finnish distribution yet. Copyright laws are weird like that.
  • Man, I am seriously considering that Nexus Tablet. Would 8 gigs be fine? I don't really need to store and videos or music on it because of google music and Netflix and shit like that, but would would the size of apps and games fill up 8 gigs quickly?
  • Man, I am seriously considering that Nexus Tablet. Would 8 gigs be fine? I don't really need to store and videos or music on it because of google music and Netflix and shit like that, but would would the size of apps and games fill up 8 gigs quickly?
    If it is just apps 8 GBs is fine.

• I have to say, the Nexus tablet looks pretty nice. If it sells well, I might have to get one to test webdesign stuff on. You know, for work.
  • edited July 2012
    Don't get the white one
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • So how about that ipad mini??
  • Josh Topolsky from The Verge reviewed the Surface. Seems like it's pretty solid, save for a few design decisions that just don't make any sense.
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3540550/microsoft-surface-review
  • "It does the job of a tablet and the job of a laptop half as well as other devices on the market, and it often makes that job harder, not easier. Instead of being a no-compromise device, it often feels like a more-compromise one."

Doesn't sound so solid?
  • So how about that ipad mini??
    Lack of a bezel is a little weird cause it would actually make it kind of hard to hold w/ one hand, tho if you have a smart cover on it, you can fold it up into a kind of handle. Also the iPad model I have just pretty much got erased :( I wonder if it actually has more resale value tho since it can be used with old peripherals.

• "It does the job of a tablet and the job of a laptop half as well as other devices on the market, and it often makes that job harder, not easier. Instead of being a no-compromise device, it often feels like a more-compromise one."

Doesn't sound so solid?
    You pulled one quote without even considering the rest of the article. Yes, the device isn't perfect. No, I won't be buying one. But he gave it a 7.0, and the device has some really good ideas and represents the new direction Microsoft has been taking for the last several years.
  • Josh Topolsky from The Verge reviewed the Surface. Seems like it's pretty solid, save for a few design decisions that just don't make any sense.
    I got to play with that Surface RT last week, it was nice except that because it's the ARM version you are locked into only downloading stuff from Microsoft's store. Which really only makes it useful to those who don't mind that restriction. I'm much more interested in the x86 version now, since Windows 8 is actually useful as a tablet OS.
  • edited October 2012
    Josh Topolsky from The Verge reviewed the Surface. Seems like it's pretty solid, save for a few design decisions that just don't make any sense.
    I got to play with that Surface RT last week, it was nice except that because it's the ARM version you are locked into only downloading stuff from Microsoft's store. Which really only makes it useful to those who don't mind that restriction. I'm much more interested in the x86 version now, since Windows 8 is actually useful as a tablet OS.
    So it's like an iPad ?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • So it's like an iPad ?
    I think the Surface RT is like a bad iPad since there are no apps for the most part. If it had more it could be a more compelling device.
  • So it's like an iPad ?
    I think the Surface RT is like a bad iPad since there are no apps for the most part. If it had more it could be a more compelling device.
    So it's like a technically superior iPad 1.0?
  • So it's like a technically superior iPad 1.0?
    I'd say so.
  • I think it's a bit early to say that Surface has "no apps." Making apps takes time, and if you buy a device now, you have to understand that you're an early adopter, which is obviously risky.
  • Not to bust your stones but i hear lots of folks complaining about the RT version and comparing it the iPad . At least a full Win8 Surface is coming unlike the non-existant OSX IPad .
  • Funny thing is that WinRT is actually a pretty decent API for making tablet apps (desktop apps, on the other hand, not so much, at least not yet). The UI is also pretty good.

Microsoft really screwed the pooch though with this, however. As far as I know, they still haven't released a public SDK for WinRT yet (though I may be confusing it with the Windows Phone 8 SDK, which also hasn't been released). Even if the SDK has been released, it hasn't been out for all that long, meaning developers haven't had enough time to actually write apps for it.

This situation isn't too unlike that for the iPhone once iOS first supported third party apps -- most of the initial batch of apps were fart apps and similar crap. However, with the iPad, Apple got it right by at least letting you run iPhone apps on your iPad until iPad-native apps were released. Unfortunately for WinRT, there is no similar fallback option if you're running on ARM.
  • I think it's a bit early to say that Surface has "no apps." Making apps takes time, and if you buy a device now, you have to understand that you're an early adopter, which is obviously risky.
    If youre one of the largest software companies in the world, it really shouldnt be as difficult as they make it look. MS seriously couldnt even bang out a decent e-mail app for Surface RT apparently. Its just a pointless endeavor at this stage.. shoulda stuck with the Courier.