This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Outpost, old windows 95 game from Sierra Online

dsfdsf
edited September 2011 in Video Games
So about a month ago I had the twitch to play Outpost. First issue I had was that it would not run naturally under Windows 7. So I figured out a way to emulate windows 95. The second problem was that it would not run on an AMD quad core Phenom II or any other form of 64 bit processor. Does anyone have any suggestion about how to make this work?

Comments

• Try the DOS version in Dosbox?
  • dsfdsf
    edited September 2011
    Didn't work in Dos box since it is a windows game. The dos version isn't readily available.
    Post edited by dsf on
  • It says there was a DOS version also made on the Wikipedia page.
  • dsfdsf
    edited September 2011
    It says there was a DOS version also made on the Wikipedia page.
    The dos version isn't readily available. I've looked for it, but I'm not looking to pay for it, and I don't want a virus to come with it.
    Post edited by dsf on
  • The dos version isn't readily available. I've looked for it, but I'm not looking to pay for it, and I don't want a virus to come with it.
    A DOS virus from the 90's will have no effect on your computer ^_^
  • The dos version isn't readily available. I've looked for it, but I'm not looking to pay for it, and I don't want a virus to come with it.
    A DOS virus from the 90's will have no effect on your computer ^_^
    Whose to say that it won't have a new virus in it? Are you a compu-psychic-technomancer?
  • Whose to say that it won't have a new virus in it? Are you a compu-psychic-technomancer?
    It is theoretically possible for an old MBR virus to infect a modern computer.
  • edited September 2011
    Didn't work in Dos box since it is a windows game. The dos version isn't readily available.
    Well, you can install Windows 3.1 in DOSBox if you must.
    Apparently the game was made for DOS and Windows 3.1, so it's strange that your version is Win95.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • What's the name of that guy in Cowboy Bebop who plants a virus and waits 60 years for it to go off?
  • What's the name of that guy in Cowboy Bebop who plants a virus and waits 60 years for it to go off?
    I remember an episode with a monkey virus...

Anyway, I do believe dosbox + windows 3.1 is the way to go.
  • a1sa1s
    edited September 2011

Whose to say that [the DOS game] won't have a new virus in it? Are you a compu-psychic-technomancer?
    It is theoretically possible for an old MBR virus to infect a modern computer.
    DOSBox is a virtual environment, just don't run anything outside of it, and your machine will be safe.
    Post edited by a1s on