This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110920 - Hive

2»

Comments

• Sienar Fleet Systems inferior, Kuat Drive Yards superior.
  • Sienar Fleet Systems was better before it sold out.

• Scott's Thing - Experiences in Extreme Schooling
    That's really awesome. Thanks Scott.
  • POD. Not Seat. The pod has life support.
    Wouldn't that also tend to get damaged during hull breaches? Or is it some sort of insta-bubble that can't really be broken until it's activated (like how a balloon is a lot easier to puncture ("pop") once you fill it up?) How do pilots get into them?
  • Wouldn't that also tend to get damaged during hull breaches? Or is it some sort of insta-bubble that can't really be broken until it's activated (like how a balloon is a lot easier to puncture ("pop") once you fill it up?) How do pilots get into them?
    Well, IIRC, larger ships will have lifepods, and fighters - like the X-wing - will have survival suits and packs, basically a little bubble shield that will give you a short period of air supply - an hour or two - and keep you from freezing to death.
  • edited September 2011
    GD. I had to make the Superman noise as I heard you guystalk about Sony.

You guys make me laugh both intentionally and unintentionally. Scott, there are so many points at which you are wrong about people owning Sony products. Yes, thy are dunderheads. that's no the point I am arguing. What made me laugh is that most of the games that the majority of Xbox/PS3/Wii user play, you don't play anyway, so OF COURSE you don't need a PS3. You really don't need any console.

When's the last time your Xbox or PC eve broke a sweat when you started a game? If you were a PS3 owner, you'd probably just use it as a Bluray player, so Sony's evil ToS wouldn't affect you. You probably wouldn't have to agree to them , because you wouldn't play any of their games.

Besides the ever debacling debacle that is the PS3, what is so evil about the company? Their other hardware are of good quality. Maybe their other services, like their music services?
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • Besides the ever debacling debacle that is the PS3, what is so evil about the company?
    Have you not been paying attention to the consumer electronics industry for the past 20 years? Every big company has some evil and/or incompetence going on. Even Google who says they do no evil, does evil sometimes. Since the death of the Walkman and Discman Sony has been consistently and repeatedly anti-consumer with incident after incident. It's ok not to be perfect, but to be so consistently bad non-stop is inexcusable. From ATRAC to Bleem! to malware on CDs to PSN outage and everything in-between Sony has been non-stop badness.

To make it worse, I ask, what good has Sony done? Apple, Nintendo, or Microsoft, you can list many bad things they have done, but you can also list many good things. For all Apple's evilness, they did revolutionize the portable media player and smartphone industries. They've also made huge advances in battery technology, and they even do some open source things like LLVM and webkit. Nintendo DS was a revolution in portable gaming. And Wii may not have been a revolution, but you know Kinect and motionplus would not exist without the Wii. And Microsoft is decidedly less evil than it used to be. They also pretty much set the standard for online gaming services. Steam would not be the way it is today if XBL hadn't done it first. Even today Steam and XBL are pretty much the only game in town.

SONY hasn't done jack or shit since the minidisc player, which only succeeded in Japan and a few other places. Blu-Ray is fail, it hasn't even beaten DVD. When DVD appeared VHS disappeared. Blu-Ray won't see that kind of adoption because digital delivery is already killing it. Sony doesn't do anything better than anyone else, and they aren't just bad like every other company is bad. They are consistently and repeatedly bad over and over and over again.
  • You don't have to be revolutionary to be worthy of existence.

Sony hasn't done shit since the mindisc player? They came out with the PLaystation after that! You don't think that was maybe a blip in tech/consumer/gaming history?

People still buy Blu-ray, so while they didn't eliminate DVD, they're still getting people to buy into their format. I think it will still be a bit before people abandon physical disks, and between BD/DVD and whatever comes next, people will go Blu-ray onyl because hardware prices will drop.

I read tons of tech articles daily, and while Sony has some sweet failures, I may have to read some more history before I'm convinced Sony deserves a lifetime achievement award for failure.
  • It's true about gun laws and gun people most gun laws sound idiotic people who know anything about guns. Same is true about knife laws especial involving balisongs.

also to answer your questions about AR-15s
    1) the AR/M-16 and their variants are about the easiest to put together and get parts for.
    2) get 5.56 rounds, but they can be modded to take all manner of pistol and rifle ammunition.
  • Just heads up to everyone, my local Barnes & Noble had Hive on sale for $15. It's not part of the thrice-yearly red dot clearance they do (the selection is pretty week this time around) but rather just a general sale so it would be in its normal spot on the game shelf.