This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Obama is nice and all...

edited September 2011 in Everything Else
but holy moley does Vladimir "Ex-KGB agent" Putin set the bar high. My favorite are #28 and #33.

Comments

• Did anyone else notice that in #26, the hardcore biker dudes have walkers and canes?
  • Putin is the real life "Most interesting man in the world."
  • If I was one of the most powerful men in the world, I would totally do the same. He gets to shoot whales with crossbows... for SCIENCE!
  • I proclaim tomorow Vladurday.
  • Just looking at that man makes my skin crawl.
    I disagree with this. It isn't so interesting because you know how he gets into these situations. He says "I'm running the country, right? Well, I want to do this!" and then he has teams of people who can go arrange for him to do "this" with no problems.

To really be the most interesting man in the world, one would have to work hard to do the awesome stuff, or just be super lucky. An test pilot who becomes a NASA astronaut is interesting. A space tourist who just pays money to do the same thing isn't so interesting. Someone who finds themselves accidentally stowing away on a space ship? Also interesting.
    There's a calculated malevolence restrained only by patience.
  • Obama is nice and all, but holy moley does Vladimir "Ex-KGB agent" Putin set the bar high.
    Set the bar high on what? They're heads of state, it's their job to run the country, not the marathon.
  • Putin is not the President anymore. Since 2008 he's been the Prime minister. He no longer "runs" the country.
  • Putin is not the President anymore. Since 2008 he's been the Prime minister. He no longer "runs" the country.
    I was waiting for anyone to pick up on that ;-).
  • he's the Prime minister. He no longer "runs" the country.
    Tell that to David Cameron.
  • edited September 2011
    I'm pretty fond of Putin. Man's got a kind of style that I like.
    Post edited by Churba on
    Tell that to Medvdev. Putin created the Prime Minister of Russia so that he could become president-for-life.
  • Has anyone else noticed how leaders of the USSR/Russia have always alternated between bald and having a full head of hair going at least as far back as Lenin?
    There's a calculated malevolence restrained only by patience.
    Restrained? That man is a corrupt thug.
  • edited September 2011
    Restrained? That man is a corrupt thug.
    He's a confusing case - for as much as he's famous for being a corrupt thug, he's also famous for unprecidented legal reforms, bringing the russian economy back from the brink, establishing political stability, decreasing poverty by more than half, and so on. He's not a good man by any stretch - in fact, I'd hardly be surpised if he was an out and out sociopath - but he certainly does do good things, he gets shit done, and in a greater proportion than the bad things he does.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Does this make Putin effectively Vetinari?
  • Restrained? That man is a corrupt thug.
    Yeah, but he's so photogenic!
  • Does this make Putin effectively Vetinari?
    Not effectively, no, but he's of that archetype of ruler.

Wait, no, that "efficiently", isn't it?
  • edited September 2011
    he's the Prime minister. He no longer "runs" the country.
    Tell that to Stephen Harper.
    Canadian friends, amirite?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • He should just proclaim himself Tzar and be done with it.
  • No, then someone will think he works as a Communist agent in Obama's government.
  • It's funny because when Kim Jong-il tries this stuff, he just comes across as the dictator that he is. On the dictator sliding scale, Putin is more charismatic and creates a much more fanciful charade with Dmitry Medvedev and his co-horts. But he is still a dictator. He may be the most popular dictator since Stalin.
  • To me its like he's actually what most of the Soviet Russian leaders were pretending to be, or hes just doing a better job of faking it.
  • edited September 2011
    hes just doing a better job of faking it.
    The guy is effectively the leader of the Russian Mafia (as KGB = FSB = Russian Mafia) and the most influential politician in Russia. If we ever find evidence of all the dirt that guy must have done to be in that position, he'll probably be put up there with Stalin as one of the most ruthless men in history.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • That pretty much how he got his power the dude head of the either the KGB, FSB or GRU. Either way he was involved with some shady stuff. The fact that he, ie his government, is starting campaigns to show the "happy side of Stalin" is alos worrying.
  • y guy is effectively the leader of the Russian Mafia (as KGB = FSB = Russian Mafia) and the most influential politician in Russia. If we ever find evidence of all the dirt that guy must have done to be in that position, he'll probably be put up there with Stalin as one of the most ruthless men in history.
    Undoubtedly. A benevolent dictator is a dictator still, and there is certainly only so far that the Benevolence goes.
  • Also this: