This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Gasaraki

ArkArk
edited September 2011 in Everything Else
I know there's gonna be a show on this at some point and based on that I decided to start watching it.

I'm up to ep11 now and it really doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. The plot just feels like Eva with samurai mythology instead of Jewish & Christian mythology. Except unlike Eva there's zero character development so far.

Does it get any better?

Comments

• I know there's gonna be a show on this at some point and based on that I decided to start watching it.

I'm up to ep11 now and it really doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. The plot just feels like Eva with samurai mythology instead of Jewish & Christian mythology. Except unlike Eva there's zero character development so far.

Does it get any better?
    Keep watching.
  • I was young and stupid when I watched Gasaraki many years ago, and an anime rookie.

Is there something more to this show than generally realistic mechs? If there is, then is this show something I should go back and rewatch?
  • Is there something more to this show than generally realistic mechs?
    Yes. The show has significant meaning and subtext. Not as much as, say, Eva, but still quite a lot. Excellent plot and lots of drama.

It is, however, sloooooooooow.
  • I'll add it to my queue to watch it again sometime soon, thanks!
  • Gasaraki does not progress. It culminates.

I can understand why someone might not enjoy it. I like slow burns a la Sky Crawlers.
  • Gasaraki isn't for you.

• Is there something more to this show than generally realistic mechs
    The scene where a dude gets backed over by a jeep.

The scene where the dude cuts out his eyes.

The scene where the president makes a phone call.

I can understand why someone might not enjoy it. I like slow burns a la Sky Crawlers.
    Are you not the one who says if a show doesn't get good by it's 2nd or 3rd eps you shouldn't watch it?

Are you not the one who says if a show doesn't get good by it's 2nd or 3rd eps you shouldn't watch it?
    Oh, I consider it good even in the beginning. I wouldn't have watched further had I not been intrigued.

Some people just can't handle slow media of any kind. Look at how many people hated Sky Crawlers or Innocence just for the slow build and atmosphere. I personally enjoy the slow burn or meta-structure means of storytelling.
  • All of Gasaraki is great, as far as I'm concerned. I just recongize the fact that most people are shallow, unintellectual, and have short attention spans, so they will not like it. And yes, I do look down my nose at those people.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2011
    All of Gasaraki is great, as far as I'm concerned. I just recongize the fact that most people are shallow, unintellectual, and have short attention spans, so they will not like it. And yes, I do look down my nose at those people.
    To be fair, I haven't seen the show in like eight years, and even then, I watched it over a long span of time as he VHS tapes came out.

It's OK to not enjoy "slow" works of art. But it would be sad to be unable to appreciate the wonderful atmosphere of something like Sky Crawlers.

I don't look down my nose like some people. However, if your only criticism of a show is that it's not frenetic enough for you, I probably won't take your opinion too seriously.

We'll see what I say once I've watched the show again. After all, at one point in my life, I enjoyed He-Man and M.A.S.K.
    Post edited by Rym on

Oh, I consider it good even in the beginning. I wouldn't have watched further had I not been intrigued.

Some people just can't handle slow media of any kind. Look at how many people hated Sky Crawlers or Innocence just for the slow build and atmosphere. I personally enjoy the slow burn or meta-structure means of storytelling.
    To me there was progession in Sky Crawlers. It was just philosphical progression rather than plot, or character progression. I think that's easier to pull off in a two hour movie than a tv series though.
  • Dude keep watching, there's some awesome mech fights later on.

This show was so good I was buying the dvds as they where released in Australia, for ~$40 AUD each for 8 volumes...

This is the BUSINESS! (I wanted the PlaMo sooooo bad)

• It was just philosphical progression rather than plot, or character progression. I think that's easier to pull off in a two hour movie than a tv series though.
    Gasaraki does a very similar thing, and you're right, it's more accessible in movie form.

Y'know, I should watch this show again. I own the DVD box set. I want to see if it holds up.
  • I remember having the show recommended to me by a friend who was a mech junkie. He's usually a 50% success rate. I gave the show a try, and I think after the fourth or fifth episode it sorta lost my interest.