This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kickstarter

Comments

• Actually, having friends scared me into realizing I kickstart way more than everyone else. Amongst my friends so far, Ro has backed the most projects at 15. I have backed 35...
    Yeah but you have more money than most of the rest of your friends.

• The first step is admitting you have a problem - I've backed 75 projects.
  • edited May 2012
    Great, now we're friends on FB and soon to be friends on Kickstarter.

Edit:Wait, I can't find you on Kickstarter via FB, so HA FOR NOW!

EditEdit: Upon further discussion seems like FB/Kickstarter's api takes a while to update. So eventually we'll be friends on Kickstarter. Don't know if good thing or bad thing.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited May 2012
    HAND Stylus.

SOLD.

Edit: I was browsing local Kickstarters and found that this exists. I found it amusing, but also pretty clever.

JoeyBra, the first sexy and comfortable pocketed bra!.
  • edited May 2012
    Guys, my friends are making a feature film and it would be extremely cool if you guys could consider supporting it. I'm going to be composing the music for it and P_TOG is going to be in it, along with a number of other awesome YouTube filmmakers from around the world. Please please check it out.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Hey guys, a mov-
    Guys, my friends are making a feature film and it would be extremely cool if you guys could consider supporting it. I'm going to be composing the music for it and P_TOG is going to be in it, along with a number of other awesome YouTube filmmakers from around the world. Please please check it out.
    That.
  • Fuck, I want a Pebble so badly, but I don't know if I can justify that expenditure.
  • Fuck, I want a Pebble so badly, but I don't know if I can justify that expenditure.
    I canceled my pledge for the Pebble yesterday, so that I could put that money towards pledging to other Kickstarters.

• I'm still in on the Pebble, even though I'm not confident.

I'm pretty sure that with Google Goggles, or a rumored Apple watch, the Pebble won't be necessary. I'm pretty sure they won't actually be able to produce the Pebble, but maybe since they got a bajillion dollars they can pull it off. It will probably take forever to actually produce it, and by then it will be obsolete. If they fail, I can join the outrage. It will be fun! If I actually get a Pebble, and don't want it, then I can sell it or keep it as a piece of history, i.e: the Virtual Boy plan. There's also a non-zero chance I'll get one and want it!
  • I'm pretty sure that with Google Goggles, or a rumored Apple watch, the Pebble won't be necessary.
    That's what I was thinking. I'd rather have Google Goggles.
  • The other night, between hockey periods, I was browsing through current kickstarter projects, and I was amazed at how many were totally awesome and totally not going to actually deliver.
  • There was a Stirling Engine kit that got funded that I was totally excited about. Their progress blog makes it look like they've stalled completely. Sad; I was going to build an MCHP unit based on their design.
  • There was a Stirling Engine kit that got funded that I was totally excited about. Their progress blog makes it look like they've stalled completely. Sad; I was going to build an MCHP unit based on their design.
    I've been waiting for my HexBright flashlight for a very long time. They post frequent updates, but that still doesn't give me confidence they will deliver.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/527051507/hexbright-an-open-source-light/posts
  • I've only gotten one reward from my kickstarter forays, and I've only played that (board) game once. It's not that it's bad, it's just that I haven't had time to play it.

The rest I've been slow to see fruit from. Although, Guns of Icarus Online seems to be A Thing that is Happening.
  • The other night, between hockey periods, I was browsing through current kickstarter projects, and I was amazed at how many were totally awesome and totally not going to actually deliver.
    Deliver the product? Which ones? Just curious.

You all need to help pimp out Nuri's Kickstarter. It must be successful.

Yes. Give my girlfriend money. Or else.

• I'm stoked for my beta fish aquarium. It looks like it's coming out soon.

I promise to deliver if it actually funds!

...this is why I will never use IndieGoGo. They fund you even if you don't reach your goal. How are you supposed to deliver rewards if you don't reach your goal?

• edited May 2012
    Goblinworks Inc. is proud to announce our first Kickstarter project for the Pathfinder Online MMORPG. The Pathfinder Online Technology Demo Kickstarter will help Goblinworks finance the creation of a Technology Demo that we can use to show investors what Pathfinder Online will look like. Successful funding of this Kickstarter will also demonstrate the community's desire and excitement for Pathfinder Online.
    I love the Pathfinder guys, but this whole MMORPG thing and this Goblinworks company don't do anything for me. And paying for the money for a team to make a tech demo so they can acquire traditional investors? Come on now?

They'll probably get funded at least. There are lots of gamers with disposable income who give quite openly to the Paizo cup. And I do wish them the best of luck with it.

Admittedly, some other people are hypothesizing that this is just a low risk gamble to see if it takes off... and also giving community people a chance to get involved on some level... so maybe it's more cunning than I think. To me it just sounds a bit tacky right now.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-technology-demo
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Jason Rohrer(Sleep Is Death, Star-filled Sky)'s Nintendo DS game is on its way and you can support it!
  • Jason Rohrer(Sleep Is Death, Star-filled Sky)'s Nintendo DS game is on its way and you can support it!
    Already'd
  • edited May 2012
    That seems interesting, but don't you need other people within a close distance to play? I wasn't paying that much attention.

It has 16 days to try to get a lot of money. :/

Edit: Well just looking at my email notifying me that Scott backed it around 9:46 PM PDT, it was at $468. An hour later it's at $2624, so it has potential to be successful.
  • Jason Rohrer has a lot of pull within the indie game community.
  • edited May 2012
    So, a couple of guys from Something Awful (some of the funny guys, not some of the idiot guys) made a Tumblr of Stupid Kickstarter Projects. There's some entertainingly bad ones out there.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • So, a couple of guys from Something Awful (some of the funny guys, not some of the idiot guys) made a Tumblr of Stupid Kickstarter Projects. There's some entertainingly bad ones out there.
    FAIL. They don't know Dr. McNinja.
  • That's not a Dr. McNinja kickstarter. It's a silly little Dr. McNinja fangame.

Also, Dr. McNinja is from SA. I'm pretty sure they know it.
  • Jason Rohrer has a lot of pull within the indie game community.
    Indeed. They're at $25k now. Most impressive.
  • I didn't know you funded OGRE. Cool, though. I'll add you to my follow list.
  • That's only if he links a FB account to Kickstarter for now, and I recall Rym saying he'll never get on FB.