This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kickstarter

Comments

• I still have the original Ogre micro game!
  • Steve Jackson announced through Wired's GeekDad that it's possible if not likely that they'll bundle in a re-release of the microgame for anyone supporting at $150, with "the original Winch Chung cover, the original bare-bones map [Steve] drew [himself], and almost original counters (they will be on thicker chipboard and we’ll fix the screening problem from the original very inexpensive print job).

Pot keeps getting sweeter. Might up my support to $150 for that.
  • It's taking some effort not to buy Ogre since I feel like I will never actually play it....
    Same for me, but I also have nowhere to put it. Between Eclipse and Risk Legacy and everything else, I'm set. Heck, I can even play Battletech.
    If you listen to the various forum peoples out there, you can play CBT with pennies, a hex grid and some printed out character sheets.

However, I'm probably just gonna wait until Mechwarrior Tactics. I'm hopeful it faithfully recreates the hex game.
  • edited April 2012
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • This new fad of Kickstarter vigilance has given me an idea - a Wiki page devoted to questionable or just up and coming projects where anyone can contribute information about the reliability and progress on a project. I'd call it Kickipedia!

Now if only I had a way to get funding...
  • This new fad of Kickstarter vigilance has given me an idea - a Wiki page devoted to questionable or just up and coming projects where anyone can contribute information about the reliability and progress on a project. I'd call it Kickipedia!

Now if only I had a way to get funding...
    Do it! I'd gladly contribute and edit regularly!

• THIS (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1803036765/fairy-quest) is just beautiful, from two very well established comic creators, and may just be the future of the comics medium.

Pledge damn you! (jk)
  • Holy dick. Ogre got the BoingBoing bump and jumped $25k in about 3 hours, maybe less.
  • Relevant to thread.
  • THIS (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1803036765/fairy-quest) is just beautiful, from two very well established comic creators, and may just be the future of the comics
    I probably will pledge to this, but I wish you can get the PDF version if you also get the actual book. That would be nice.
  • Penny Arcade is ahead of the curve a little bit on this stuff, but most of the time I read about Kickstarter on video game websites, my face is buried in my palm. It's blowing up in the video game world right now, but the board game Kickstarter boom was TWO YEARS AGO, and hordes of journalists who think their thoughts on Kickstarter are new and unique, when we've already had these conversations 10x over.
  • The new friends feature on Kickstarter is a blessing and a curse.
  • The new friends feature on Kickstarter is a blessing and a curse.
    Uh oh.

• I'm still looking for a way to follow someone on Kickstarter who is not a Facebook friend. Dammit, I have G+ friends on Kickstarter too!
  • I couldn't find a way either. Looks like for now it's just through FB. I have a few friends that don't link their FB to Kickstarter that I wouldn't mind following as well.

Perhaps an upgrade they will add in the future.
  • Yeah, it is a new feature. I guess we should give them some time to develop it! XD
  • Nice to know my non facebook presence is going to do well with this feature.
  • edited May 2012
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Having friends on the kickstarter just reminds me how much I spend on kickstarter. I do not want to be reminded of this.
  • Having friends on the kickstarter just reminds me how much I spend on kickstarter. I do not want to be reminded of this.
    Actually, having friends scared me into realizing I kickstart way more than everyone else. Amongst my friends so far, Ro has backed the most projects at 15. I have backed 35...
  • I've backed 20. 35 is a lot though. You might have a problem, a philanthropy problem. The solution is more Ayn Rand.
  • I've backed 20. 35 is a lot though. You might have a problem, a philanthropy problem. The solution is more Ayn Rand.
    Except I only Kickstart when I actually want the reward.
  • I thought I backed a lot, though. I simply cannot find that many projects I want to back in video games and board games.. do you branch out into the music or video stuff too?
  • I thought I backed a lot, though. I simply cannot find that many projects I want to back in video games and board games.. do you branch out into the music or video stuff too?
    I'll do almost anything.
  • edited May 2012
    I thought I backed a lot, though. I simply cannot find that many projects I want to back in video games and board games.. do you branch out into the music or video stuff too?
    I'll do almost anything.
    I don't think you have a problem unless your expenses on "stuff" are exceeding what you have budgeted to spend. If you're not breaking the bank, keep pledging away! It's when you're not getting the instant gratification, and wind up spending bucks elsewhere in addition, that it hurts.

Post edited by Matt on
  • edited May 2012
    Having friends on the kickstarter just reminds me how much I spend on kickstarter. I do not want to be reminded of this.
    Actually, having friends scared me into realizing I kickstart way more than everyone else. Amongst my friends so far, Ro has backed the most projects at 15. I have backed 35...
    Ha, that's funny. I didn't think I backed a lot of projects. However, of my friends Scott isn't the one with the most backed projects. I have an Enforcer friend who has backed 46 projects.

Also I find that since Scott and I are friends, I am going to be backing way more comics now just from looking at the notifications.

Edit: Here a problem I encounter whenever I want to back something in regards to comics. I kind of just want to back the minimum amount for just the PDF of it, but sometimes I wonder if I really should get the actual book instead. My mentality of "OMG, I want a pretty unique book" is getting the better of me, but sometimes I think it's ok. I also think that getting the book is great so I can share with my friends who don't have e-readers.

In the end, I just end up pledging more money.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited May 2012
    My problem with Kickstarter is that I rarely buy anything sight-unseen. If it's a book, I read it first, then buy it if it's something I would read again and again. If it's a game, I get the demo, play at a friend's house, or wait until everyone else tries it and see what the reviews are among the people I trust. I am not an early adopter, mainly because I don't like paying the premium for bugs, but also because I've been burned by promises. How often do you get excited by build-up to the Greatest Movie to Grace the Multiple Universes, only to pay your $12 and get dick-slapped by two-star bullshit?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited May 2012
    My problem with Kickstarter is that I rarely buy anything sight-unseen. If it's a book, I read it first, then buy it if it's something I would read again and again. If it's a game, I get the demo, play at a friend's house, or wait until everyone else tries it and see what the reviews are among the people I trust. I am not an early adopter, mainly because I don't like paying the premium for bugs, but also because I've been burned by promises. How often do you get excited by build-up to the Greatest Movie to Grace the Multiple Universes, only to pay your $12 and get dick-slapped by two-star bullshit?
    A lot of the stuff I get on Kickstarter is not sight unseen. It's usually things I already know. For example. I see comics or games on there and I am extremely familiar with their creators and their works. Order of the Stick, I've been reading it for years. Steve Jackson's OGRE (which I still havn't kicked because it's too big), I know everything there is to know about it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2012
    The things I've backed are either by recommendations from people I consider trustworthy, or from people that I know have created a project.

In regards to the comics I've backed:

Womanthology was something that I've been wanting to see for a long time now. Comics done by women about various stories that aren't underwear pervert or making women as objects that I can possibly relate to.

Benign Kingdom is from being a fan of Johnny Wander, and I love Yuko's artwork. I recently got the PDF and have looked at the artwork. I'm happy I funded it.

Order of the Stick. Now this was a webcomic I knew about, but never really got into. I want to get into it, and it's a decent price for convenience to read on my iPad. I only spent $10 to get a PDF of a book and a magnet. (Side note: has the PDF been released yet? I really haven't been paying attention to the updates.)

Tiny Kitty Teeth Deluxe. This was one of the artists in Benign Kingdom. I really like Becky D's art and $5 for a PDF isn't a bad price at all.

Mystery Pets Art Book. Now this one was sight unseen. I saw Kickstarter recommend it to me. It is cute artwork with cats. Yeah. That's all I needed to see.

Cucumber Quest. This was from a notification that Scott backed this project. I looked at the art and watched the video. I am digging the art and found the author's blog/webcomic. It's not added to my reader feed. Pretty much anything Scott recommends or reads in regards to comic, I trust. I have yet to get a back recommendation from him.

Post edited by Rochelle on