This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Need a game for the office

edited September 2011 in Video Games
I'm trying to find a good video game to play in the office with the co-workers. It has to be a skill game, but a low barrier to entry for those who aren't awesome yet. It should also be a game everyone can get into, like Tetris or Spot-It, accessible to all. It needs to work on Mac and PC, be free, have LAN multiplayer, and most importantly it can't take too long to play. We are supposed to be working. This is just for occasional short breaks. It should also have a lot of replay value so that people will be excited to go and play it once a week.

Comments

• Ricochet.
  • Civilization V.
  • How about Counter-Strike 2D? CS-2D
  • One of those "snake/tron" type games where you can have a bajillion players all playing at once. Can't remember the name of the one we used to play, but it used left/right + fire. Obviously you are trying to make people crash into a wall or your tail but pressing fire made a one shot block appear a little bit ahead of your snake as an added bit of fun.

I played a ton of these types on games on the amiga, everything from basic multi snake right up to versions that had multiple weapons/teleports/upgrades.

They were fantastic party games.

Otherwise... Bomberman.
  • Jungle Speed!!!!
  • Ricochet.
    Too much skills.
    Civilization V.
    Takes too long.
    How about Counter-Strike 2D? CS-2D
    Yeah, no.
    TF2~!
    Actually not the worst choice for this situation, but we don't have enough people.
  • edited September 2011
    Otherwise... Bomberman.
    Does anyone know a good free PC/Mac LAN bomberman?
    Jungle Speed!!!!
    Not a video game. Also, we have too many people. We have one new guy coming in a few weeks. Then we will have 6/7 players depending on the day of the week.

I wouldn't be asking if this was easy.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I will speak for Jason and say G+: City of Wonder.

/trollface
  • Also, we have too many people. We have one new guy coming in a few weeks. Then we will have 6/7 players.
    Jungle speed is 2-15 people with the expansion.
  • Also, we have too many people. We have one new guy coming in a few weeks. Then we will have 6/7 players.
    Jungle speed is 2-15 people with the expansion.
    15??? Where are you reading this?
    will speak for Jason and say G+: City of Wonder.

/trollface
    Isn't that some bullshit Facebook game that's not really a game?
  • Atomic Bomberman? That was the one we all played. 10 players!!!
  • Atomic Bomberman? That was the one we all played. 10 players!!!
    I have that on CD-ROM for Windows 95. Won't play on Mac.
  • You said mac or PC!! :/
  • Isn't that some bullshit Facebook game that's not really a game?
    Yes.
  • Found another one ever heard of Kernel Panic Installer? Kernel Panic Installer
  • You said mac or PC!! :/
    So I did. It has to be both since we have a mix.
  • Minecraft?
  • Puzzle Pirates.
  • Isn't that some bullshit Facebook game that's not really a game?
    Yes.
    It isn't a game. It isn't even good. It's just a convenient set of goals that keep you clicking a mouse every 15-30 minutes while watching TV or movies. It's a diversion to keep a serial multi-tasker from pacing.
  • edited September 2011
    You said mac or PC!! :/
    So I did. It has to be both since we have a mix.
    Um, so your pretty much limited to browser games?

Edit: Yeah, just play Spot It. Double Bomb. So awesome.

Quake live?
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • edited September 2011
    15??? Where are you reading this?
    It varies depending on the language in which it was released, but if you want to be really super technical, the original French version said it was 2 to 80.

Don't believe me? Check it out yourself.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Mechwarrior 3

Yeah, never mind. Just my love of mechs talking.

How about a Garys mod server?
  • It varies depending on the language in which it was released, but if you want to be really super technical, the original French version said it was 2 to 80.

Yeah Scott, it's on the box.
  • I was never a big fan of it but: Battle for Wesnoth is a nice turned based game that can be played passively.
  • Company of Heroes

Solium Infernum

Frozen Synapse

DEFCON
  • Solium Infernum
    I desperately want to play this with a group.
  • It varies depending on the language in which it was released, but if you want to be really super technical, the original French version said it was 2 to 80.

Yeah Scott, it's on the box.
    See, I told them this at Anime Boston. They were adamant that I was reading the ages the game is good for.
  • Scott was adamant that I was reading the ages the game is good for.
    • Call of duty.
    • CounterStrike against bots (pretty fun if you can get a lot of bots in there).
    • Left for Dead