This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Amazon's warehouse working conditions

edited October 2011 in Flamewars
9 page article on the conditions in Allentown PA
I read this article and was pretty surprised. Conditions would go up to 115 degrees in the warehouse with requirements to do 250 to 500 product an hour....Otherwise you get written up.

If this is true for the majority of amazon warehouses I'll be shopping somewhere else from now on.

Comments

• Read this article a few weeks ago. Not sure how reputable this site is. Can't find anyone else reporting it.
  • Read this article a few weeks ago. Not sure how reputable this site is. Can't find anyone else reporting it.
    It's a conspiracy, man.
  • edited October 2011
    Read this article a few weeks ago. Not sure how reputable this site is. Can't find anyone else reporting it.
    The Morning call is a reputable PA paper, they usually cover the political beat in Harrisburg very well. I see many papers and articles related to this investigation at other papers (and even a stock outlook saying the story will not hurt Amazon)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Call me soulless, but it'll take a lot more for me to turn on Amazon than a little worker exploitation.
  • Call me soulless, but it'll take a lot more for me to turn on Amazon than a little worker exploitation.
    Yeah. I know what feedlots are like, but I still eat cheap steak.
  • I would think that Amazon's warehouses were all automatic, like how Newegg's warehouse is. It seems too costly and inefficient for them to hire people.
  • I would think that Amazon's warehouses were all automatic, like how Newegg's warehouse is. It seems too costly and inefficient for them to hire people.
    You're telling me. I just assumed Jeff Bezos was actually Jeff BezOS, an ultra-powerful entrepreneurial AI.
  • Even if this story is true, it seems like these problems are specific to this one warehouse, and not all of Amazon's facilities.
  • This is what happens when you have high unemployment and people are desperate for jobs. Companies will hire fewer people and work them to the bone knowing they can easily be replaced. Instead we should force them to hire more people. This is why there should be mandatory minimum paid vacation and maximum working hours restrictions.