This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• I think I found my perfect controller for PC FPS gaming. One half is a mouse with the four Xbox buttons where your thumb goes. The other part is a controller that looks like the left half of a 360 controller with bumper, trigger, stick and d-pad.

Manufacturer says it works for PC and 360 but would be cheating on 360.
  • Kid Icarus is gonna have a self-imposed difficulty system, spiritually similar to Bastion. More games should do this.

• My point is, why try to combine the control schemes when they're making two different games? SFxT was supposed to be Tekken characters in a Street Fighter game, and TxSF should be Street Fighter characters in a Tekken game.
    Marketing??? I really don't think TxSF will ever come out. It would be interesting to see a 3D SF game. I imagine it's easier to go from 3D to 2D then 2D to 3D. I'd be interested to see the two games side by side, but I won't hold my breath for it.

Speaking for marketing,,, I think it's really funny about how much press SFxT is getting on the day Soul Calibur 5 is released.
  • edited January 2012
    I think I found my perfect controller for PC FPS gaming. One half is a mouse with the four Xbox buttons where your thumb goes. The other part is a controller that looks like the left half of a 360 controller with bumper, trigger, stick and d-pad.

Sounds like gimmicky crap.

Look around the world and you will see tons of gimmicky gaming peripherals. It started even before the Power Glove. They have keyboards shaped like hands. They have mice with a zillion buttons on them. They even have that dumbass thing you put your controller inside of with all the levers on it.

Now look at what professional gamers use. They use standard first party controllers. They use mice and keyboards that are very normal. The mice are very fast, but they still just have normal buttons and wheel. They also use arcade fight sticks. That's pretty much the best when it comes to gaming equipment. You don't need anything else unless you play a specialized game like Steel Battalion or Dance Dance Revolution.

Nobody who is any good uses that weird ass shit. If you buy that, you are no different than the guy who buys gimmicky golf clubs or tennis rackets. You have to improve yourself. The controller is already as good as it is going to get. You know if that shit actually helped your game the professionals would all use it. Just like in olympic swimming where the fancy Speedo bathing suit was actually vastly superior and every swimmer was wearing it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I think I found my perfect controller for PC FPS gaming. One half is a mouse with the four Xbox buttons where your thumb goes. The other part is a controller that looks like the left half of a 360 controller with bumper, trigger, stick and d-pad.

I use a combo of Controller and K+M for Battlefield - K+M for all the running about and shooting bits, or driving a land vehicle, but flying a plane or helo? Xbox controller all the way, the ability to have variable steering and throttle is so much better than on/off steering.

• How many actions are there in most first person shooters? Shoot, secondary shoot, and jump? Plus moving around obviously (which could potentially benefit from having something slightly more accurate than just WASD potentially).

The mice with a zillion buttons are for MMOs and stuff. In SWTOR my character had ~40 different spells. In WOW they are up over 50. In those games, having a few extra keys to bind different things to makes sense. I even have foot-pedals for things like my push-to-talk voice bind. I actually see the "pros" use them for as much, though obviously we're talking about different general categories of "pro-gaming". But if they make their living doing it, they are professionals.
  • Scott, you are forgetting my numerous posts detailing my physical handicap on my left hand that prevents me from gaining the benefit of the keyboard when gaming. This works for me
  • edited January 2012
    I think I found my perfect controller for PC FPS gaming. One half is a mouse with the four Xbox buttons where your thumb goes. The other part is a controller that looks like the left half of a 360 controller with bumper, trigger, stick and d-pad.

http://www.amazon.com/Fragfx-Shark-360-Controller-PC-Mac/dp/B0052RLMGM

Looks like a Wii nunchuck paired with pc mouse. It has decent reviews. Some players are complaining about the right mouse button clicking by itself.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • In Tribes 2, I used mouse/keyboard for normal play, but swapped to a joystick for vehicles.
  • You guys remember Carpe Fulgur? The guys who localized Recettear and bust open the market for Japanese indie games? Yesterday, they released their newest localization, a game called Fortune Summoners.

Before the day was out, it dethroned Skyrim at the top of the Steam Top Sellers list.
  • You guys remember Carpe Fulgur? The guys who localized Recettear and bust open the market for Japanese indie games? Yesterday, they released their newest localization, a game called Fortune Summoners.

Before the day was out, it dethroned Skyrim at the top of the Steam Top Sellers list.
    I was just about to get the demo.
  • Mass Effect 3 will not be released on Steam. As a person who bought the other 2 games through Steam, I'm kinda pissed off. EA and valve? Play fucking nice, already. You are the reason we can't have nice things!
  • Mass Effect 3 will not be released on Steam. As a person who bought the other 2 games through Steam, I'm kinda pissed off. EA and valve? Play fucking nice, already. You are the reason we can't have nice things!
    But but but Valve is competition now that EA has Origin going!
  • Origin can blow me, Activision wants it's own Steam-like service as well. I want unity, not fractured nonsense!
  • If only Capitalism actually worked like that. People get greedy and want their own pie, instead of just having a slice of someone else's.

It's not like it costs you any money to install Origin.
  • The problem is that I deleted my local saves on the assumption that I could just reinstall via Steams cloud save and proceed. Now I either have to find a way to convert it somehow (pain in the ass) or give up my saves (not an option). I may just get the physical edition *gasp*, install it, link it it to Steam and pray to the techoweasels.
  • Started playing Soul Caliber V. I also picked up a used Dead or Alive 4 fightstick. It only has 6 buttons and the stick is square rather than hex but it was cheap and it is made by Hori.

The special attack is different now and you have a larger window of opportunity to use it. The button and stick combo to pull it off is a bit longer and the move no longer ends the match. I could never pull it off in the last game because I always missed the timing. I think I pulled it off once and was never able to do it again.

The single player mode is a lot longer and has a story, I'm about half way through and I find it far more forgiving than the last game.

I went back to the regular 360 controller at one point in part because I'm used to the button layout on it. /i might even bring the fightstick back to the store if it doesn't grow on me.

The character customization system seems far less satisfying than the one in SC4. Unless I just haven't unlocked enough stuff stuff it appears that nothing you wear has any real impact on your fighting. Which is very different from the last game where clothing had a huge impact on your character.
  • Honestly, fight sticks are incredibly off-putting at first. After practice, you'll get used to it. It's an infinitely superior control scheme.
  • The character customization system seems far less satisfying than the one in SC4.
    ahem

• edited February 2012
    Pretty sure someone here will be excited about the Simpsons arcade game getting re-released, and for the first time outside of the arcade if I remember right.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • I'm actually excited for the Simpson's arcade for one reason. it includes the Japanese version!
  • I wonder if the Simpsons arcade game is actually as fun as I remember.
    It's as fun as X-Men or TMNT Arcade. Walk sideways, hit the buttons, die a lot. The graphics are kinda sad. I just never beat it, and I want to see all the funny jokes an such.
  • It's as fun as X-Men or TMNT Arcade. Walk sideways, hit the buttons, die a lot. The graphics are kinda sad. I just never beat it, and I want to see all the funny jokes an such.
    X-Men Arcade only kept my attention because of it letting their be 6 players, otherwise I am not that interesting in these games that much. There were fun in there time but there is a reason that time has passed.
  • It's as fun as X-Men or TMNT Arcade. Walk sideways, hit the buttons, die a lot. The graphics are kinda sad. I just never beat it, and I want to see all the funny jokes an such.
    X-Men Arcade only kept my attention because of it letting their be 6 players, otherwise I am not that interesting in these games that much. There were fun in there time but there is a reason that time has passed.
    Simpsons does 4.
    I played it for a while at MAGfest. No, it's not.

• X-Men Arcade only kept my attention because of it letting their be 6 players
    There are 2 and 4 player versions of that game out there. Main difference is that the screen isn't as wide. It's kind of interesting to see how that changes the game.
  • There are 2 and 4 player versions of that game out there. Main difference is that the screen isn't as wide. It's kind of interesting to see how that changes the game.
    Yeah, I have not picked up the PS3 version yet to see how it handles 6 player local play.
  • Huh, I didn't know Joe Bereta was doing stuff like this. Went to school with that guy.
  • Huh, I didn't know Joe Bereta was doing stuff like this. Went to school with that guy.
    I think Barats and Bereta are hilarious.