This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steve Jobs, 1955 - 2011

Comments

• edited October 2011

RIP, Steve.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • While I'm a bit saddened that Steve Jobs died (that comic said it well), didn't he just retire a few weeks ago? So he basically worked almost up until the point of death?
  • While I'm a bit saddened that Steve Jobs died (that comic said it well), didn't he just retire a few weeks ago? So he basically worked almost up until the point of death?
    Yes, but if you want to compare people working right up to the end, Osamu Tezka wins that game.
    Yeah, he was nothing if not committed. I'm a bit conflicted about how I feel about his legacy, but there's no denying that technology lost a giant.
  • Wow, yeah. Definitely. But I don't think it's a thing someone really wants to win at.
  • 56 is no age to be dying.
  • edited October 2011
    You want to learn a lesson from Steve Jobs' death.
    How about this one? Don't use a special diet or other alternative theories suggested by anyone who calls himself a "naturopath."

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2011/10/05/a-lesson-in-treating-illness/
    Diet therapies are all too dangerous. Without going into specifics (and I know that that makes this claim anecdotal and therefore kind of specious, but I'm bound by privacy laws, I believe), I know doctors whose patients chose naturopathic diets as a treatment regimen to supplement allopathic cancer treatments, whereupon the diets triggered deadly metastasis.

Don't ever trust someone who says that your disease can be cured by eating differently, unless there's a stack of studies backing it up.
  • Don't ever trust someone who says that your disease can be cured by eating differently, unless there's a stack of studies backing it up.
    Unless your disease is fat and your current diet is nothing but White Castle.
  • Unless your disease is fat and your current diet is nothing but White Castle.
    there's a stack of studies backing it up.
  • Don't ever trust someone who says that your disease can be cured by eating differently, unless there's a stack of studies backing it up.
    Unless your disease is fat and your current diet is nothing but White Castle.
    Pretty much. I remember seeing my doctor last year and got a warning that my cholesterol was fairly high and that if I wasn't careful I'd have to be put on cholesterol-lowering medication. However, the doctor suggested that a change in diet probably would due me a world of good based on my medical records and set me up with an appointment with a dietitian. This isn't some fruitcake hippy naturopath, but a proper registered dietitian who worked at the same hospital my doctor worked at.

If your proper doctor tells you that diet can help you with your illness and/or refers you to a proper registered dietitian, odds are that diet can help you. However, if it's some nutcase on TV or the internet or wherever else telling you that, odds are they're full of crap.
  • edited October 2011
    However, the doctor suggested that a change in diet probably would due me a world of good based on my medical records and set me up with an appointment with a dietitian. This isn't some fruitcake hippy naturopath, but a proper registered dietitian who worked at the same hospital my doctor worked at.
    there's a stack of studies backing it up.
    It's just fucking logic. We've known for ages that saturated fats, salts, and foods with lots of cholesterol are probably not good for your LDL counts. You don't need an expert to tell you that a salad is better for you than a Big Mac.

In addition to what I've already said, "registered dieticians" pedal bullshit all the time despite working at legitimate hospitals. "Dieticians and nutritionists" are scam experts. But I will not get into that. My hate runs too deep.
  • edited October 2011
    Pretty much. I remember seeing my doctor last year and got a warning that my cholesterol was fairly high and that if I wasn't careful I'd have to be put on cholesterol-lowering medication. However, the doctor suggested that a change in diet probably would due me a world of good based on my medical records and set me up with an appointment with a dietitian. This isn't some fruitcake hippy naturopath, but a proper registered dietitian who worked at the same hospital my doctor worked at.

If your proper doctor tells you that diet can help you with your illness and/or refers you to a proper registered dietitian, odds are that diet can help you. However, if it's some nutcase on TV or the internet or wherever else telling you that, odds are they're full of crap.
    unless there's a stack of studies backing it up.
    Edit: Damn WindupBird you beat me to it :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • In addition to what I've already said, "registered dieticians" pedal bullshit all the time despite working at legitimate hospitals. "Dieticians and nutritionists" are scam experts. But I will not get into that. My hate runs too deep.
    I guess it depends on the particular dietitian and/or nutritionist. The one I've been seeing seems perfectly on the up-and-up and her office is literally in the cardiology wing and one floor below the office of this particular hospital's most senior cardiologist (who recommended I see her). A lot of what she did was confirm which dietary habits I had were good, suggested some other foods I may want to include as alternatives to the less healthy options I've been eating, etc.
  • dietitian and/or nutritionist
    A dietician is a trained and certified medical professional. A nutritionist could be anybody.

Don't eat at McDonald's. - Scott Rubin, the nutritionist.
  • Don't eat at McDonald's. - Scott Rubin, the nutritionist.
    Exercise regularly and get at least 8 hours of sleep. - Victor Khaze, Life Coach
  • Drink rum and don't give a fuck - Churba, Churba.
  • Send me money, and your life will be good in a lot of ways and bad in a lot of ways - Pangloss, Psychic
  • There is always time for sexy rumpus. - Rochelle Mantanona, Rumpus Enthusiast
    There is always time for sexy rumpus. - Rochelle Mantanona, Rumpus Enthusiast
    These two are right. - Peter Olsen, Legitimate Goddamn Scientist
    There is always time for sexy rumpus. - Rochelle Mantanona, Rumpus Enthusiast
    These two are right. - Peter Olsen, Legitimate Goddamn Scientist
    Just don't break any laws in the process. - Jonathan Abrams, Almost Lawyer
  • Don't be a sissy and eat some goddamn meat. - Chris Knox, Omnivore
  • Jigglypuff is the best Pokemon ever. Use Jigglypuff to get all the ladies. - Alex Dunn, Professional Geek Girl Ogler
  • Murdering people different then you is good for you soul, helps you lose weight, cleanses toxins from the body, clears your skin and improves sex drive. Tim Strunck, Murderologist
  • I'm just here for your money - Joshua Flores, Honest
  • Look at my horse, my horse is amazing - Churba, Horse thief.
  • Jigglypuff is the best Pokemon ever. Use Jigglypuff to get all the ladies. - Alex Dunn, Forever Alone
  • Jigglypuff is the best Pokemon ever. Use Jigglypuff to get all the ladies. - Alex Dunn, Has a Lady-Friend who Enjoys the Jigglypuff and Makeouts
  • edited October 2011
    Look at my horse, my horse is amazing - Churba, Horse thief.
    It tastes just like raisins. - Josh, Horse Taster
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • Start a trend - Scott Rubin, trend starter.