This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20111006 - Shoes and Handbags

Comments

• Autonomous trucking systems. Google car? More like Google produce truck.
    No, that's not what I mean. How do you decide who gets how many onions? Robots are doing all the work, so nobody has any money because nobody has a job. There aren't enough onions for everyone to have as many onions as they want. You need some system to determine where the onions go and how many go to each person that wants them.
    You get your onions by trading virtual goods and currencies in various different massively multiplayer games. He who sells the most best stuff gets the most best onions.
  • On the topic of shoes, I submit that as a costume designer/cosplayer, I have a lot of decorative shoes I hardly wear.
  • I've also seen plenty of people who are very capable of working, but choose not to, even when the work isn't nearly so hard as farming. Not to mention people who are dependents well into their '20s or even later. They just don't try hard enough to get a job, even if they are available.

For example, my mom had two friends who each have daughters. One of these daughters was already graduated and very successful, smart, and awesome. The other one just graduated. My mom was like, hey, the awesome one can help the newly graduated one get a job. So she got them in contact with each other and such. Then the newly graduated one just didn't follow up. If she would have actually tried she most likely would have had a job. Clearly she just doesn't actually want a job.

I wonder how many of those punk kids on Wall Street would turn down a job you offered them because they didn't like it. How many more would take the job, then quit after a few days once they realized what working is like. I remember people in college who couldn't even handle simple on-campus food service jobs. They quit and ran back to their dorms to play video games. How can these kind of people ever work real jobs even if they are available?
  • edited October 2011
    If you went to them and say, "Hey, I'll pay you dicksquat to suck shit though a straw" they'll probably punch you in the face.
    For example, my mom had two friends who each have daughters. One of these daughters was already graduated and very successful, smart, and awesome. The other one just graduated. My mom was like, hey, the awesome one can help the newly graduated one get a job. So she got them in contact with each other and such. Then the newly graduated one just didn't follow up. If she would have actually tried she most likely would have had a job. Clearly she just doesn't actually want a job.
    What was the job?
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • edited October 2011
    Edit: Crap, wasn't paying attention
  • What was the job?
    Generic office working.
  • Axel and I, we're bros,
  • What was the job?
    Generic office working.
    And she graduated from?
  • And she graduated from?
    Don't know.
  • There are jobs that need to be done in this world, such as picking food. It's not possible to pay the people who do this job a large amount of money.
    Sure it is. I'm firmly of the opinion that farmers and farmhands should just be government employees. To be honest, given the amount of farm assistance that a lot of people need to stay afloat, many farmers are basically government employees already.
  • I have a fairly wide variety of shoes:

Dressy non-slip work shoes (Teacher)
    Nice fancy shoes
    Sneakers
    Sandals (birkenstockish)
    Sandals (foam, waterproof)
    Work/Hiking Boots
    Soccer Cleats (I play several seasons with adult leagues)
    Five-Fingers (my new favorite shoes, like walking/running barefoot)

I have no problem with having plenty of options, especially when they all have specific uses.
  • edited October 2011
    There's nothing wrong with having shoes with a use. The problem lies in having loads of shoes with one purpose: saying "Fuck me! Fuck me!".
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • speaking of jobs, my father and I came up with a solution (due in part to the recent closure of a very important bridge to Indiana because of a huge crack in the structure). Take everyone unemployed, or on welfare, or unemployment, and pay they a living wage on projects to rebuilt the infrastructure of America. They balk? Then take away their benefits. They may even learn a useful skill for after we've fixed the infrastructure.
  • NRA, We do our part!
  • a1sa1s
    edited October 2011
    Take everyone unemployed, or on welfare, or unemployment, and pay they a living wage on projects to rebuilt the infrastructure of America. They balk? Then take away their benefits. They may even learn a useful skill for after we've fixed the infrastructure.
    Post edited by a1s on
  • Take everyone unemployed, or on welfare, or unemployment, and pay they a living wage on projects to rebuilt the infrastructure of America. They balk? Then take away their benefits. They may even learn a useful skill for after we've fixed the infrastructure.
    except back then they didn't even HAVE government assistance and this deal specifically states that if you don't work, the government ain't gonna help ya.
  • If I couldn't get a job, I would get the best work available, no matter how hard.
    Doubt it. What if the job was professional push-upper? Can't do 1!
  • except back then they didn't even HAVE government assistance and this deal specifically states that if you don't work, the government ain't gonna help ya.
    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Works_Progress_Administration
  • If I couldn't get a job, I would get the best work available, no matter how hard.
    Doubt it. What if the job was professional push-upper? Can't do 1!
    If I had eight hours a day to do nothing but push-ups, I'm sure I would eventually be able to do some. And in a few days, I would be doing many. I might pass out, but I would keep trying. I might get fired, but I wouldn't quit unless I was going to a better job.
  • What if the only job was working in an environment where your health was damaged?
  • What if the only job was working in an environment where your health was damaged?
    Like every job currently performed by man?
    That's actually where I was going with this: where do you draw the line?
    That's actually where I was going with this: where do you draw the line?
    Well now I do factor in mental health when you say "health" as dealing with the ever-increasing stupidity of my fellow man certainly drains my sanity, but to answer your question; while there is certainly danger to one's health in any job, I draw the line at hazardous to life and limb without proper safety considered. Fortunately here in the US we have OSHA, but in other parts of the world workers aren't thought about that much.
  • So first of all, I'm working these really hard jobs because it is desperate times, and I need moneys. If there is a job with OSHA violations, I would work it, and then I would unionize and or sue to have the violations fixed. I would either get money from the lawsuit, or become the union boss. Either way, it's looking good.
  • Good luck with that brah. If you are working somewhere that is violating OSHA they would fire you or have you disappear the second you said the word union or sue.
  • Yeah, and I'd wager at least 99% of places violate OSHA in some way. The Autozone I work at recently got fined for us not wearing protective eyewear when we're working on car engines. Not a big thing, but it was a violation.
  • Posted By: gomidogIf girly is not an insult to girls, why would it be an insult to men? Why would men not want to be girly? Stop trying to get your yang in our yin.
  • If girly is not an insult to girls, why would it be an insult to men? Why would men not want to be girly?
    Stop trying to get your yang in our yin.
    Well I think that feminine and masculine are becoming more detached from their respective genders, take emo band guys and punk girls, they each represent a large part of the opposite genders "idealisms".
  • edited October 2011
    So first of all, I'm working these really hard jobs because it is desperate times, and I need moneys. If there is a job with OSHA violations, I would work it, and then I would unionize and or sue to have the violations fixed. I would either get money from the lawsuit, or become the union boss. Either way, it's looking good.
    Yeah, now you're just cutting your nose to spite your face. At that point, you might as well be a prostitute. Probably pays a hell of a lot better than shit sucker anyway.
  • Girls do not wear heels because the heel inherently looks sexy, they wear them to make their legs and ass look better.

Also, I have 2 pairs of sneakers, dress shoes, and flip flops. I have two of each in order to have brown and black ones so I can match them to my clothes accordingly as I am pretty freaking OCD. I will say, though, that I only have 1 pair of athletic shoes and one boot, but that's more because they tend to be pretty expensive.