This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• So when does reg go up for this?
  • I have yet to hear any word of when it will open up. I'm vigilantly checking every few days to see by going to the actual registration page or their Twitter feed.

A recent Tweet stated that they will go on sale "soon", so I would just make sure to keep checking this thread or their twitter.

Trust me, I'll be letting the forum know as soon as I find out as well as I'm sure others would.

I figure they are probably busy right now with Child's Play starting for the time being.
  • It looks like airfare may be starting to drop, I got an alert today about prices dropping by a whole $5.
  • When will then be now?

SOON
  • From what I understand, Templcon is mostly focused on miniatures wargaming, like Warhammer 40k. If someone's interests lie in that scene more than anything else PAX has to offer, I could theoretically see them having more fun at Templecon.
  • While this doesn't strictly speak to the convention's good/badness, I live less than half an hour from Warwick, and I've never even heard of Templecon.
    This. Also, who the fuck has fun in Warwick? I lived there for about two years in middle school. It sucks.
  • I give the PAX folks props for organization, but it was sadly lacking in content unless you wanted to spend your time parked in front of a video game console playing the same games you would at home. The seminar I attended was good, even if it was presented by a bunch of prima donnas, but having to line up an hour in advance was absurd.
    Um, sadly lacking in content? I think not. I went to some darn fine panels.

The lines can be long of course, but Spot-It exists. Bring some line games, people. Also the PAX Lines twitter feed was quite helpful.

• I give the PAX folks props for organization, but it was sadly lacking in content unless you wanted to spend your time parked in front of a video game console playing the same games you would at home. The seminar I attended was good, even if it was presented by a bunch of prima donnas, but having to line up an hour in advance was absurd.
    Um, sadly lacking in content? I think not. I went to some darn fine panels.

The lines can be long of course, but Spot-It exists. Bring some line games, people. Also the PAX Lines twitter feed was quite helpful.

You went to the Nerdcore panel, How To Win at Games, and we walked out on VG Roadshow. If you went to any other panels, apparently they weren't good enough for you to tell me before or after the fact.
  • Reg is live!
  • Reg is live!
    Now with link!

Oh man $65 each for 3 Day passes? Man I forgot what it's like to pay. >___>
  • edited November 2011
    Hey, you're omeganaut eligible now though :D
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I selected "No" for now. Perhaps next year I will select "Yes". As I've stated before I want to experience the convention as a normal attendee.
  • Ticket get!
  • Oh man $65 each for 3 Day passes? Man I forgot what it's like to pay. >___>
    Totally worth not having to work.

• Oh man $65 each for 3 Day passes? Man I forgot what it's like to pay. >___>
    Totally worth not having to work.

Oh I know this. I remember paying $50. PAX East is worth more than $65 to me, but I'm just being a miser.

• I shall purchase a registration in the very near future.
  • Bought. Now I only need to wait.

This is the hardest part...
  • Done and my hotel is booked. Now it's time to wait and watch as my other group of friends besides the ones I'm going with wait too long and fuck it up.
  • Me and jtvh are registered.
  • Yea, but if people don't volunnteer the event will suuuuuck :-p

Is hoping I get Ro's morning tabletop spot for enforcing.
  • Yea, but if people don't volunnteer the event will suuuuuck :-p

Is hoping I get Ro's morning tabletop spot for enforcing.
    Just make sure to follow the Enforcer Twitter feed to request assignments as soon as it is up. It probably won't be up until next year. Earliest would be February. I'll keep an eye out and let you know as soon as I know.

• You went to the Nerdcore panel, How To Win at Games, and we walked out on VG Roadshow. If you went to any other panels, apparently they weren't good enough for you to tell me before or after the fact.
    Yes, and they were darn fine panels indeed (including VG Roadshow, even though it didn't hold my interest long. The nerdcore panel alone was worth the price of admission, especially if you also consider the great conversation I had with an enthusiastic young nerdcore rapper in line for about an hour beforehand. I also wanted to get to the Geek Parents panel, but didn't get in line early enough.

I also dropped in for a while on a documentary about professional video-gamers, which I found pretty unsettling but I wouldn't say that made it bad. Just didn't really mesh with my worldview (I remain unconvinced that dropping out of high school and living on the streets because of your commitment to professional video gaming is a good choice).

• edited November 2011
    I remain unconvinced that dropping out of high school and living on the streets because of your commitment to professional video gaming is a good choice.
    Depends on the game and just how good you are. I've seen peoples lives fall apart going pro ($200,000/year banker becomes $20,000/year professional gamer), but if you're the Michael Jordan (or Lebron?) of your particular e-sport, you can absolutely and positively go that way.

That said, the barrier to entry is so much lower than for professional sports, and it's a whole lot easier to fool yourself into thinking you're in that top 0.001%. Just because you can beat all your friends, that doesn't put you anywhere near close enough to compete even as a spot-filler to play professionally. And if you're into the wrong game, all that much harder.

Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I remain unconvinced that dropping out of high school and living on the streets because of your commitment to professional video gaming is a good choice.
    Depends on the game and just how good you are. I've seen peoples lives fall apart going pro ($200,000/year banker becomes $20,000/year professional gamer), but if you're the Michael Jordan (or Lebron?) of your particular e-sport, you can absolutely and positively go that way.

That said, the barrier to entry is so much lower than for professional sports, and it's a whole lot easier to fool yourself into thinking you're in that top 0.001%. Just because you can beat all your friends, that doesn't put you anywhere near close enough to compete even as a spot-filler to play professionally. And if you're into the wrong game, all that much harder.

There goes MY hopes and dreams.
  • I remain unconvinced that dropping out of high school and living on the streets because of your commitment to professional video gaming is a good choice.

I didn't say that.
  • [edited to reflect that this was my comment, not shadoworc's] I remain unconvinced that dropping out of high school and living on the streets because of your commitment to professional video gaming is a good choice.
    Fair enough. But there's that "living on the streets" problem. Even just being pragmatic, I'm not sure how long you can effectively keep up your pro skills if you don't have some level of dwelling place. And one of the gamers profiled seemed to be actually living on the streets (the documentary implied that he wasn't couch surfing or anything).
  • You bring up a good point about "living on the streets" being a self-defeating prophecy for a pro gamer if they have nowhere to regularly practice. I usually hold some level of admiration for those who have the balls to go all-in, and the dedication and smarts to make it pay off. Take the Destructoid guys for example, some of the original guys there really did wind up living out of cars for a bit, but that shit paid off.
  • I was off celebrating my mother's birthday and I came back and apparently the Westin is already sold out. That saddens me slightly, oh well.
  • I'm going to go to PAX in 2012. If not PAX East, then PAX Prime.
  • I was off celebrating my mother's birthday and I came back and apparently the Westin is already sold out. That saddens me slightly, oh well.
    I was wondering when exactly the Westin sold out. I know it def was within an hour of the announcement, but it may have even been sold out prior b/c the hotel reg link leaked a few weeks back.

I reserved my hotel back then but it was bugged out and didn't let you get Thursday. I went in and got a full-price Westin reservation for Thursday only to cover me for the four days, but never remembered to go in and fix my PAX reservation once they corrected the problem that was blocking out Thursday.

Oh well, I don't mind paying a bit more on one night as long as I have a bed. There's always a chance I can get work to comp my travel too.