This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• And Kenneth.
    Haters to the left.
  • There are also fewer and fewer lines for major things. Keynote, Q&A, Concerts, Omegathon Finale, playing popular games in the Expo Hall, a small number of Panels: everything else is pretty wait-free.
    Unless -insert popular game- in the Expo Hall is giving out really awesome swag (Fallout hand puppet), waiting in long lines is not worth it and quite possibly the stupidest thing you could do at PAX. Wasting your time to demo a game you already know you're going to buy does not make any sense to me.

• Wasting your time to demo a game you already know you're going to buy does not make any sense to me.
    Absolutely. I was amazed at people lined up for over an hour to play a demo of a game they'd already pre-ordered for three minutes.

• edited January 2012
    I am impressed by the BCEC and the size of its main theater. You could just walk into keynote and concerts at any time and stand in the back.

The "waiting in line 3 hours to play a demo" thing boggles my mind. The only time I've ever thought such a wait was worth it was during PAX Prime 2010 when my wife flew out. Being only part geek, she had had her fill buy Sunday morning, and chose to wait in a 3 hour Epic Mickey line b/c they had the actual Disney animators on site doing drawings on request. She got an awesome Steamboat Willie that we had professionally framed for our kid's room.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • they had the actual Disney animators on site doing drawings on request. She got an awesome Steamboat Willie that we had professionally framed for our kid's room.
  • While I am going to PAX East this year, I'm currently trying to finish up panel submissions with friends for Anime Boston. I just hope I'm not going to be thrown back and forth too inconveniently. I tried to convince a few friends to join me however I'm the only one out of my friends to be choosing PAX East over Anime Boston.
  • The only time I waited in line was for about five minutes to play Tribes: Ascend(?). That was definitely worth it.

Oh, and a few PAXes ago, I was standing around when one of the producers of Civ V asked if I wanted to watch their demo. It was slightly before Expo opened, so it was just me and some journalists. That was fun.
  • And the concert lineup is announced!

Same exact bands as always. Nothing to see here.

Nice to know the suprise concerts are going to be where its at again.
  • Yeah, I was underwhelmed when I saw the line up. I would have loved to seen that band that was at MAGfest on the lineup.

Looks like I'll have more time for gaming.

• I was one-and-done as well with spending PAX time to go see these acts in person. Glad I did it, just don't need to go again.

Gaming in the live-stream areas can be fun though. I had a great night of gaming in the queue room at PAX Prime 2010 while casually taking in the Paul & Storm/Joco acts. At East last year it was not such a great space for that so we nixed those plans, but who knows, things could change this year.

The fact that the "big 3" as I see it are all stacked onto Saturday night tells me that PAX is aware the concerts are a bit stale, and that they don't have to worry about a crowd crush, and can rather cater to the serious fans of these acts by giving them one crazy night.
  • Gaming in the live-stream areas can be fun though. I had a great night of gaming in the queue room at PAX Prime 2010 while casually taking in the Paul & Storm/Joco acts. At East last year it was not such a great space for that so we nixed those plans, but who knows, things could change this year.
    I could see this happening in the "Secret Gaming Area". Gaming with some music in the background is always nice.

• Yeah that would be a good idea. I have to believe they'll change SOMETHING about that area this year, whether it be its size or its purpose. It was heavily used only during the peak lunch hour, and even then, I don't recall it approaching max capacity. I think once there were enough people flowing in to fill up half the place, the food lines got so long people said "fuck it" and turned around, thereby preventing the seating from every being fully used.
  • I have a feeling the layout will be extremely different this year. Obviously expo hall will still be in the "hangar", but everything else might move around all over the place.
  • Hey, anyone have a floor they'd let me rent? I'm pretty compact.
  • Hey, anyone have a floor they'd let me rent? I'm pretty compact.
    I think we have room in our rooms. We have, IIRC: Wyatt, George, me, John, Kate, Adam. Two free spaces.

That sound right y'all?
  • Be aware, George totally hogs the bed.
  • I need to see the Protomen live so bad. If nothing else, just to make my sister jelly.
  • Could I get on the free space bandwagon? I'll be there thursday night to Tuesday (I can find other accommodations Monday night).
  • I should specify that we do not have reservations for Thursday night. They were sold out when I went to book. Thus, we've only got space on Friday and Saturday.
  • awesome, thanks pete. i probably can't come up until friday anyway.
  • Be aware, George totally hogs the bed.
    That's so not far, a full size bed is not large enough for two dudes to share.

Also, Wyatt totally hogged the bed way worse than me the first PAX East. :P
  • Just taking a general poll of interest here. My wife Nicole is coming back to PAX this year, and wants to take some time out to eat one crazy-awesome dinner. After working at Food Network/Cooking Channel for a few years, she's become an amateur foodie. Best part is that all she has to do when we go to a city is ask her boss or the production crew for their top recommendations.

This is what they all agreed on

It's not cheap ($38 per person), nor particularly close to BCEC, but looks worth it. If you can guarantee a group of 10+, they will roast an entire pig specifically for your table. They also have a pretty awesome selection of whiskey.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else?

• If you've got some time Saturday night, check out the new addition to the concert line-up: Supercommuter. The music's pretty cool and they've got a really neat gimmick: they write all their songs while commuting.
  • edited January 2012
    This is what they all agreed on
    Fixed the link.

This would work for Thursday night, but since people aren't showing up until Friday, Sunday night after PAX might may work best. I would be down and perhaps Jeremy as well. Wouldn't be a bad idea if we can get more people, the question is can they accommodate if there is more than 10 people?

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I like this idea, I may be able to join you if you are doing this on Thursday plus may be able to get some heads if need be with my roomates.
  • I am totally down for either day.
  • I don't have any specific plans Friday/Saturday/Sunday yet. Thursday night I'm locked to some activities. There's also Rym's mention of potentially having a post-pax dinner, but I don't know if that's just conjecture at this point.
  • Too rich for my blood. Doing something cheaper as a post-PAX dinner could be awesome, though.