This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Boston 2012

Comments

• Well, Gerald from AWO said he was willing to help bail me out of some of these situations... so that helps... I'm not sure if I'd want to do American Tezukas though due to already mentioning wanting to limit things to anime/Japan stuff in the AB forums...
    As long as it is looking at the topic through the lens of Japanese comic history, I think it would probably be relevant enough.
  • Okay, here are the slots that opened up due to cancellations in the past couple of days. If anyone here is interested, let me know, although please note that Gerald at AWO has already got first dibs on these slots:

* Friday, 4:30 PM, Panel A
    * Saturday, 10:30 PM, Workshop 313
    * Friday, 10 AM, Panel 208
    * Sunday, 10 AM - Noon (was a 2 hour panel), Panel 208
    * Saturday/Sunday, 1:15 AM, Panel 208
  • People cancelling for PAX?
  • If you want I can do a 30 minute session at 10 AM before my 10:30 panel on Friday
  • I doubt they're canceling for PAX. It's been well known that PAX and AB were the same weekend for a year or so, so there's no reason to cancel at the last minute. If they weren't going to attend due to PAX, they just wouldn't have applied.

Oh, and Coldguy, is this Anime Action Castle? That may work... I'll let you know when I know more with what's going on from my other backup panelists.

I may also toss together an "Anime Old Farts" panel with myself and anyone else over 30 or so I can dig up. Those tend to be fun.
  • I may also toss together an "Anime Old Farts" panel with myself and anyone else over 30 or so I can dig up. Those tend to be fun.
    I'd probably be up for this (depending on timing etc), and I'm definitely over 30. But please please please NOT with the moderator of AB11's old farts panel.

• I may also toss together an "Anime Old Farts" panel with myself and anyone else over 30 or so I can dig up. Those tend to be fun.
    I'm not sure I can even remember 30 so I qualify.
    I may also toss together an "Anime Old Farts" panel with myself and anyone else over 30 or so I can dig up. Those tend to be fun.
    I'd probably be up for this (depending on timing etc), and I'm definitely over 30. But please please please NOT with the moderator of AB11's old farts panel.
    Exactly and completely what she said.
    Heh, I don't even remember that panel... In this case, I'll be the moderator, if you will, although it would be a very informal moderation.
  • Heh, I don't even remember that panel.
    Consider yourself fortunate. It was a painful panel to be ON, so I can only imagine how painful it was to sit through it (also, seriously, don't invite that guy, if you can't tell who it was from your old records whisper me and I'll remind you). But I will say it inspired me to put together "Middle Aged Geeks Tell All!" for CtCon, which IMHO was a much more successful endeavor. So it wasn't all bad.

• Who are those guys? Why are the filming a video of a panel they were supposed to be at? Who do they think they are?
  • I'm glad they recorded that. I'm planning on running a few panels this year at various conventions and that video was pretty helpful.
  • I was expecting them to yell at people for fanboying on a panel for a while since it's such a big sign of a terrible panel.
  • That panel also got grilled kinda badly on the demographic review sheet that the tech staffer in the room filled out (they do it for all our panels to report quality of presentation, how many people in the room, etc.). To be honest, if I wasn't nearly out of decent panels that could've filled in that time slot, I probably would've done something else. In this case, I didn't have much choice due to all the cancellations, scheduling conflicts, and whatnot.

I really should write an AI to handle this for me. :) I mean, 90% of what I do to run panels is already taken care of by a handful of Python scripts already. :)
  • Scarily, we actually got a good deal of positive feedback from it. Several people at our Saturday events said they came because they saw the Panel Panel. It was... weird?
  • Well, most of the negative feedback I got was like, "They didn't show up because they were at PAX? How rude!"

I also got a bit of negative feedback from a few other experienced and skilled panelists who have different opinions than yours on certain aspects of running a panel -- but I think that's purely a case of differing opinions.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2012

I also got a bit of negative feedback from a few other experienced and skilled panelists who have different opinions than yours on certain aspects of running a panel -- but I think that's purely a case of differing opinions.
    I'll flat out call them on being wrong right now. ;^)

Do you recall what general points they disagreed on? I'd love to do a post-con followup video.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I wish I could remember the details, but most of that weekend is a blur now and it was just mentioned to me in passing (don't have it in writing anywhere). It had something to do with handling the audience, but I forget what specifically. It did strike me as something where two people could have equally valid, but different, views on, based on presentation style and whatnot.

Sorry I can't be more specific.
  • edited April 2012
    I wish I could remember the details, but most of that weekend is a blur now and it was just mentioned to me in passing (don't have it in writing anywhere). It had something to do with handling the audience, but I forget what specifically. It did strike me as something where two people could have equally valid, but different, views on, based on presentation style and whatnot.

Sorry I can't be more specific.
    If it's about handling the audience, then I assume it's one of those people who thinks audience interaction is good. It is true that allowing audience interaction is the norm at a fan convention. It is also true that unprofessionalism is the norm at a fan convention. During a professional lecture the audience is the audience. They shall speak when spoken to. If they were supposed to be talking, they would be on stage. The rest of the audience didn't come to hear them, it came to hear the panelists.

Some audience members who have taken interactivity for granted may feel put out when they are ignored or shut up. That's ok because if the content of your panel is compelling and really speaks to them, it will make them feel super included.

Mike Krahulik put it best one year when the winning Omeganauts were really having a time of it. "It's the Penny Arcade Expo, not the Omganauts Expo." The people who everyone came to see are the people who control the conch.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The one takeaway I got personally was that I had to go to plan Q for my first panel, a series of backup measures failed on me to a degree that Murphy was laughing behind me. Thankfully those who stay told me they loved the panel, but it goes to show that unless you think up to the Q level I would have been hosed.
  • OK, I was just curious.

The usual criticisms we get are from anime-con panelists who are insulted that we:

1. Said they shouldn't cosplay on stage

2. Said they should pre-edit their clips

3. Said they shouldn't interact with individual audience members (who no one else in the room can hear).

4. Shouldn't have a ton of people up on stage

5. Shouldn't go to questions earlier than at least halfway through the event

6. Shouldn't waste time answering bad questions

We were WAAAAAY harsher in our advice the last time we ran this in person at AB. We actually told people to walk out of panels that had "the warning signs." Some attendees who heeded our advice came by on Sunday to tell us how every panel that met our critera lived up to the predictions. =P
  • Ok, I can almost understand some of these. The "Whole bunch of people on stage" is clearly from someone who's used to bringing half a dozen friends in for free, some people are really proud of their cosplays, and there's a whole geek thing about being nice to people, even when being mean to them would be more helpful to the both of you. But how, in the ever living fuck, do you get pissed off at pre-editing clips? I've done clip panels, and that's like saying "Yeah, don't bother cleaning your gun. If it misfires, it probably won't hurt you."
  • People think it's just not important to appear professional. They'll complain if something is "too polished." The only amount of polish that is too much is when it only makes things greasier, not shinier.
  • But how, in the ever living fuck, do you get pissed off at pre-editing clips? I've done clip panels, and that's like saying "Yeah, don't bother cleaning your gun. If it misfires, it probably won't hurt you."
    Two or three ABs ago, a dude got super pissed at us over this point. He was in the audience later at Anime Hell and flipped out.

His beef was that "nothing at an anime con should look professional." He wants it all to be amateurish and "authentic." Too much polish meant that the con was no longer for fans by fans. He was surprisingly mad about it. It was amazing to behold.

He was neither the first, nor the last, person I've met at an anime convention to share this sentiment (which is wholly lacking at the gaming conventions we attend).

• edited April 2012
    Reading shit like this INcreases my desire even further to NOT go to anime cons.

Edit: fixed my typo.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I think you can make exceptions for cosplaying on stage. I generally agree, but I think the year FTG cosplayed Cowboy Bebop it helped our credibility. Also, at this years "Americans in Anime" panel, Gerald was briefly cosplaying someone from Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which lead to the line "...but I wouldn't know anything about that show, because it's about a bunch of Germans fighting terrorists. I only watch shows about AMERICA!"
  • But how, in the ever living fuck, do you get pissed off at pre-editing clips? I've done clip panels, and that's like saying "Yeah, don't bother cleaning your gun. If it misfires, it probably won't hurt you."
    Two or three ABs ago, a dude got super pissed at us over this point. He was in the audience later at Anime Hell and flipped out.

His beef was that "nothing at an anime con should look professional." He wants it all to be amateurish and "authentic." Too much polish meant that the con was no longer for fans by fans. He was surprisingly mad about it. It was amazing to behold.

He was neither the first, nor the last, person I've met at an anime convention to share this sentiment (which is wholly lacking at the gaming conventions we attend).

So by that definition, the ultimate panel would be 60 minutes of technical difficulties.

I just don't get it. Will and I aren't even that professional. I'm surprised time and again that people not only let us do panels, but say that we're good panelists. If this is our competition, I guess I shouldn't be.
    Reading shit like this decreases my desire even further to NOT go to anime cons.
    Honestly, anime cons are good if you do one of two things: Run panels/events at it, or hole up in the gaming room all weekend. It's a sad fact that I probably do more TTG at an anime con than I do anime related stuff.
  • I don't get why people think fans can't look and act professional. It's just a case of putting effort into your presentation -- it's not like you're up there in a suit and tie (though there's nothing wrong with that if that's how you like to roll) trying to convince the CEO to go with account A instead of account B.

I view it as a "pride of craftsmanship" thing. Many cosplayers put together professional grade costumes as a matter of personal pride (and perhaps hoping to win a prize). Putting together a panel should be the same way.

Ro, fortunately, as far as I can tell, people like that "fan cons shouldn't look professional" guy are few and far between, even though they do exist.

On the other hand, I have no problem with appearing in cosplay for a panel provided you don't draw attention to said cosplay. If you're up there on stage gushing over your Hetalia cosplay when you're doing a panel on feudal Japan, there's a problem. However, if you just happen to be in costume and don't draw attention to it while giving the presentation, that's okay.
  • I know. I'm just really being down on anime fan culture in general. The last time I went to an anime con was either 2007 or 2008. I just really loathe that whenever I hear some sort of negative feedback from them because of x or y. It's normally some BS reason because they got butt hurt.

I feel anime congoers/complainers are more sensitive vs. others (video game congoers).

As long as Sakura Con 2013 doesn't coincide with other major cons, I will try to go to it or staff it. I want to try to bring awesomeness to it, but I'm afraid of the veteran staffers that don't agree with my points of view in regards to what makes a convention successful. I've already butted heads with certain individuals because I debate the merits of PAX and how I prefer it over SC and they get all defensive.

I recall the head of registration stating that the gaming section of of Sakura Con was way larger than that of PAX for tabletop. I scoffed and laughed at it. It was a FB conversation and was quickly deleted by the guy who made the original post.