This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer Tutoring

Comments

• Buy hosting, click "Install Wordpress" button, choose a theme, done. Srsly, its that easy.
    I meant making a theme. Also maybe something more flexible than Wordpress

Yeah I was just trying to be funny. :P Actually Wordpress is pretty powerful and you can do pretty much anything with it if you know PHP and whatnot. But that's a convo for another day. :)

• I shall be in contact with Scott then.
  • I shall prepare for my lesson once I get home from work. Little nervous but ready and willing to learn.
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, I need some help with a specific programming problem in Python concerning recursion and Magic Squares. I don't want to waste space here going over details of what the assignment requires or what I have prepared already, but if Scott or anyone else wants to take a shot at helping, please email me or something. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, I need some help with a specific programming problem in Python concerning recursion and Magic Squares. I don't want to waste space here going over details of what the assignment requires or what I have prepared already, but if Scott or anyone else wants to take a shot at helping, please email me or something. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
    I don't know what a magic square is. I have to look it up. I assume it's math, which if it's too complicated I may be of no use. All I can say now is that Python has limits on how far you can recurse, and you may have to change those settings to get your result. Another option is to solve the problem iteratively instead of recursively. Another option is to not use Python and use another language that is better at recursion.

Edit: Read Wikipedia. Not hard at all.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for answering, Scott, but here are my problems: (1) I cannot choose a language in which to write this. It must be Python. This is a Python class. (2) The program must contain a recursive function. They will not give credit for iteration. That's part of the assignment. (3) I know the idea of a magic square is easy. I didn't need Wikipedia to tell me that. I have a BS in mathematics. I knew about magic squares since before you were born. My problem is coding it into a Python program. Also, my problem is that I am depressed almost to the point of catatonia, so lately I have a lot of difficulty concentrating and focusing, so what probably seems easy to you is pretty difficult for me. I mean, I've even wanted to comment on some threads recently, but I don't even have the motivation to type a paragraph long comment.

Actually, I do agree with you - this is probably pretty easy, but I just can't see how to do it right now.

If you (or anyone else, for that matter - Rym, Andrew, anyone?) can help, PLEASE contact me. I could really use some help right now and I also really need to just hear a friendly "voice", even if that voice is on Google Chat or something. Please? It could count as my birthday and Christmas present. HAHA.
  • I know magic squares are easy for you. I was talking about me. I had never heard of a magic square before your post.
  • http://pypi.python.org/pypi/magic_square/0.2 <- Might prove useful.</p>
    Yeah, if it's an assignment for a class, you generally aren't allowed to be importing libraries that do all the work for you, although that is how you do it in the real world.

Anyway, I'm still giving a free lesson to anyone who wants it. I gave a few already, but I haven't had any repeat customers yet. Still, I feel like I'm getting better at it. If you really need help just schedule a time with me. I'm not doing anything today except playing Zelda and watching football. Possibly baking cookies.
  • edited December 2011
    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/magic_square/0.2 <- Might prove useful.</p>
    It might, but I have newb questions - This installs a program, doesn't it? I don't need a program so much as I need the code. How do I see the code?

Also, it says it requires NumPy. Our program will only be able to use lists, and the math functions. I know there are probably all sorts of libraries that can be imported into a program to make this easier, but we are not going to be able to use most of them.

Thanks. I appreciate the thought.

Yeah, if it's an assignment for a class, you generally aren't allowed to be importing libraries that do all the work for you, although that is how you do it in the real world.

Anyway, I'm still giving a free lesson to anyone who wants it. I gave a few already, but I haven't had any repeat customers yet. Still, I feel like I'm getting better at it. If you really need help just schedule a time with me. I'm not doing anything today except playing Zelda and watching football. Possibly baking cookies.
    What time is good? I'm free all day as well, or "free" in the sense that this takes priority over anything else that I need to do.

What time is good? I'm free all day as well, or "free" in the sense that this takes priority over anything else that I need to do.

Whatever time you ask for is the time I won't go to the grocery store to get butter and chocolate chips. Also, before 8:00PM is good, since that is when the football starts.
  • edited December 2011
    Scott, you should probably post on university message boards as "programming homework help".
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Scott, you should probably post on University message boards as "programming homework help".
    I'm not interesting in giving people homework help as much as I want to actually just teach straight up. Otherwise I'll just end up doing the homework of every CS student in the country. If I was going to do that, I could just start one of those companies that charges money for writing papers and such.
  • Scott, you should probably post on University message boards as "programming homework help".
    I'm not interesting in giving people homework help as much as I want to actually just teach straight up. Otherwise I'll just end up doing the homework of every CS student in the country. If I was going to do that, I could just start one of those companies that charges money for writing papers and such.
    Use the homework to teach. As the story goes, they're not paying you to make the mark, they're paying you to know where to put the mark. I do it quite often with my university-going friends - They'll show me the homework assignment, and I simply read up on what I have to know for the assignment, and then nudge them in the right directions, let them do the majority of the work on their own. And considering you've an education and experience, I've no doubt you'd be ten times better at it, than an uneducated yutz like me.

• It's also a great chance to have repeat customers. If you help a student once, they are more likely to request help on future topics.
  • Also, anyone who is doing CS homework is already getting a CS education.
  • Also, anyone who is doing CS homework is already getting a CS education.
    Naturally. And you already HAVE one. Thus why you're well qualified to nudge them in the right directions, and give you money for having them do the work.
  • Scott, I sent a message to you with the kinda/somewhat crappy stuff I have now. Could we Skype at around 5:00 p.m.?

Thanks.
  • Scott, I sent a message to you with the kinda/somewhat crappy stuff I have now. Could we Skype at around 5:00 p.m.?
    Thanks.
    Sure thing.
  • Well, I was a little skeptical at first, because I thought that this would be a little like Stephen Hawking trying to teach an eight year old kid his multiplication tables, but I'll have to say that Scott was very patient and was able to convey concepts in a concise, easily understandable manner.

I'd definitely recommend anyone try this out. Also, I think that Scott may be able to make some monies by developing a series of video podcasts or some such thing (maybe even a book) and marketing it to students. He's that good. Khan Academy's got nothing on him.
  • Well, I was a little skeptical at first, because I thought that this would be a little like Stephen Hawking trying to teach an eight year old kid his multiplication tables, but I'll have to say that Scott was very patient and was able to convey concepts in a concise, easily understandable manner.
    I agree, though I've not taken the lesson. I've learned more from Scott on the podcast than I have in any computer-related class.
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I was a little skeptical at first, because I thought that this would be a little like Stephen Hawking trying to teach an eight year old kid his multiplication tables, but I'll have to say that Scott was very patient and was able to convey concepts in a concise, easily understandable manner.

I'd definitely recommend anyone try this out. Also, I think that Scott may be able to make some monies by developing a series of video podcasts or some such thing (maybe even a book) and marketing it to students. He's that good. Khan Academy's got nothing on him.
    Scott is actually an excellent teacher when it comes to tech stuff. I remember years and years ago us riding the train together somewhere and him teaching me about CSS. He explains very clearly, even to non-tech people. He's not very hand holdy, and kind of brusque, but I think that style of instruction works well for technical material. He also gives great driving directions.

Post edited by gomidog on
  • He also gives great driving directions.
    Wait, Really? Now that is a skill that gets respect outta me. I know too many people who can't give directions for shit.

• I attribute my driving direction skill to my extensive memorization of video game maps and such. I can get around Hyrule with my eyes closed, so why not the highway?

Though, I do mess up driving directions when the road signs do not match the map. Mostly this happens in New Jersey.
  • I attribute my driving direction skill to my extensive memorization of video game maps and such. I can get around Hyrule with my eyes closed, so why not the highway?
    Yeah! Wait...
  • Though, I do mess up driving directions when the road signs do not match the map. Mostly this happens in New Jersey.
    I blame New Jersey for that.
  • I can imagine a retired 65-year-old Professor Scott, old and alone, but inspiring the minds of countless CS majors. It seems fitting, for some reason.
  • Though, I do mess up driving directions when the road signs do not match the map. Mostly this happens in New Jersey.
    I blame New Jersey for that.