This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer Tutoring

13»

Comments

• Anyone ever do any paired programming? Suddenly the boss and the bosses boss are really keen on the idea. I can see some strengths to it, but I also think they might be fooling themselves a bit about it being a perfect solution. My intuition can see how having some of my coworkers working on the same code with me could be very effective, but I think our little workshop does not realize how much more expensive it would potentially be - and while the total quality of work would go up, the return on investment is difficult to calculate and I expect would be fairly mixed.
  • Anyone ever do any paired programming? Suddenly the boss and the bosses boss are really keen on the idea. I can see some strengths to it, but I also think they might be fooling themselves a bit about it being a perfect solution. My intuition can see how having some of my coworkers working on the same code with me could be very effective, but I think our little workshop does not realize how much more expensive it would potentially be - and while the total quality of work would go up, the return on investment is difficult to calculate and I expect would be fairly mixed.
    Monday show idea!

When the boss and/or bosses get keen on an idea all of a sudden, it's probably a bad idea. I haven't done pair programming, but I've used other "agile" programming methods at previous jobs and it all seemed to just result in more time wasted in paperwork and process and less time in actually getting work done.

That said, I do like pair debugging, based on doing it informally. However, pair programming just wouldn't work well for me, IMHO.