This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Let's Play Combat Mission Battle for Normandy (Interest check)

edited November 2011 in Video Games
So I've gotten inspired by a recent SA LP where two teams of goons organize and strategerize their way to victory in an extremely complex game called Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy.

The idea is that I would essentially DM a game between two teams of you guys where you provide all the commands and I would input into the game and let it run. The game runs with simultaneous turns where both teams will input their orders and the game simulates a turn in real-team (turns last about a minute).

The goal is to provide the high level tactical gameplay you would get from a tabletop wargame and the high fidelity simulation you get from this game without having you guys fiddle with all the controls and nuances of playing the actual game. Depending on the level of interest, the game will either be a small meeting engagement to a large assault and defense of objective points.
Orders need not be to complex for the platoon commanders, as your company commander will have given you your objective. a good order scheme should go like this:

Overall Commander : "1st Company, Take that village"

1Coy Commander : "1st platton take the church, 2nd platoon the main crossroads and third remain in reserve"

1st Platoon Commander : "move 1st squad up the left, 2nd will provide cover while 3rd takes this building to prevent us being flanked - Also, can I have tank or artillery support?"

Other commanders : "NO!"

Who would be interested in such a game?
Post edited by Andrew on

Comments

• This sounds awesome! Sign me up.
  • I'd love too, but that would heavily depend on what time you plan on having the games. West Europe is 6 hours ahead of New York, so if you plan on doing it in the evenings, it'll be after midnight here.

Still, I wouldn't mind that too badly in the weekends or on Fridays.
  • edited November 2011
    All you guys will have to do is just give me your orders via a forum thread. Minimum time requirement would be five minutes every couple days to post your commands to me. Once all the commands are in for both sides, I run a turn and post the results here. At no point will you have to spend an extended amount of time to play.

One game will likely take a couple weeks to go through (depending on how many turns the game is of course).
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited November 2011
    Double post for clarity.

Here is an example from the SA thread.

Each team will have to discuss their overall plan, reactions, and the like for each turn and I'll translate them into the game. You can provide me any images that might clarify your orders. Imagine you are playing a very detailed tabletop wargame. It's turn based, so no large time commitment.
    Post edited by Andrew on

"We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads on our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel." -Patton

I'm in.
  • Need more people! Come on, where are all you tabletop gamers out there? Rym/Scott, don't want to go head to head by leading each team?
  • edited November 2011
    17:14 Tell them you're most interested!
    I am.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • Sounds interesting. I'm in!
  • If everything is time-delay with command issuing, count me in!
  • If everything is time-delay with command issuing, count me in!
    Yes, it's completely time-delay.

• This intrigues me.
  • Too much work.
  • Too much work.
    How so?
  • Too much work.
    How so?
    I just don't have the brain resources right now to learn a complicated game.
  • Too much work.
    How so?
    I just don't have the brain resources right now to learn a complicated game.
    If I understand it correctly, non of us will actually have to learn the game. All we have to do is move pieces on a virtual board and issue simple commands "take cover here", "attack those guys" and so on.
  • The point is that you don't have to learn the actual game, just command as if you were a virtual general. The game itself reailistically simulates combat that you actually need to perform real world strategy to win. You don't have to learn specific gamey strategies like micro or anything to win.
  • edited November 2011
    Here are the list of commands available for you guys when to provide orders. Does anyone want to step up to command a side?

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Since no one else has the balls to take command, I will.

Who'll take me on?
  • When do we want to kick this off? I might be able to take command depending on when it is.
  • I really depends on the number of players. Less than ten probably won't be worth the time and effort.
  • I really depends on the number of players. Less than ten probably won't be worth the time and effort.
    Guys, just let me get tired of Skyrim, then I will be interested in this again