This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Frank Miller Has Completely Lost It

2»

Comments

• To be honest, I'm with the "Are we surprised? Why?" camp.

This is absolutely something I can see Frank Miller's borderline-suicidal-Fuck-everyone-punch-crime-till-it's-liver-explodes Batman from DKR saying, in character and without a hint of acknowledgement to the fourth wall, not to mention a good half the characters in Sin City, Marv in particular, but also Dwight, Hartigan and Wallace. Shit, it wouldn't even be too out of place in the mouth of Born again era Daredevil.
    DKR Batman wasn't his full-fledged God Damned Batman. DKR is still very collected and calm, even when he's driving the Batmobile through a mob of gang members in a junk yard and fighting Superman with Green Arrow. It's more the Dark Knight Strikes Again and All Star Batman and Robin Batmans that God decided to damn.
  • I read some of the All Star Batman and Robin and at some point I started to see it more of an parody than a serious thing. That's what really defined goddamn batman for me, because every character calls Batman by his full name of Goddamn Batman.
  • DKR Batman wasn't his full-fledged God Damned Batman. DKR is still very collected and calm, even when he's driving the Batmobile through a mob of gang members in a junk yard and fighting Superman with Green Arrow. It's more the Dark Knight Strikes Again and All Star Batman and Robin Batmans that God decided to damn.
    I will agree, he was indeed less...extreme than the DKSR or even the ASBR batman(who was comparatively mild to the DKSR Batman, but still rather more aggressive and Goddamn-batman-y than DKR), but I could still see him saying it, and I do stand by my assessment, though I may have worded it a tad strongly.
  • I'll agree that David Brin makes some good points, but I'll be damned if he doesn't seem so far up his own arse that he's sniffing his tonsils. While his points are sound, he comes of as an enormous prat.
  • I'll agree that David Brin makes some good points, but I'll be damned if he doesn't seem so far up his own arse that he's sniffing his tonsils. While his points are sound, he comes of as an enormous prat.
    waitwaitwait. Are you even American?
  • That David Brins article confuses me. I thought this had something to do with Frank Millers views on current events, but that text was just pointing out historical inaccuracies in the 300. I could understand that if Miller has referenced 300 in his text, but he didn't so that whole article seems to have nothing to do with Millers "Anarchy".
  • edited November 2011
    waitwaitwait. Are you even American?
    I burst out laughing at work.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • It sounds like he's been drinking from the Fox News fountain. If you listen to Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck, that's exactly what they're saying about Occupy.

It's sad, really.
    Fox News: Nickelodeon for people with dementia.

This is a very sad pattern that develops and really there should be some sort of intervention structure for creators who try to go super wingnut. I can enjoy their previous works but then they jump the right wing shark.

Frank Miller: Holy Terror
    Orson Scott Card: Empire series
    David Zucker: An American Carol

Are there other good examples?

• Marc Guggenheim infamously put his foot in his mouth, defending Joe Quesada over One More Day, saying that if you are against the decisions made in that comic book, then you are gay.

"Here's my attitude, if anyone is upset about the marriage going away, then they must all be pro gay marriage," he continued. Because if you're pro gay marriage, you understand the distinction between a marriage and a civil union -- that a civil union is not equal to a marriage. We downgraded Mary Jane and Peter to a civil union. If that bothers you, then you're pro gay marriage."

He shouldn't be considered, since this isn't the level of insane as those other three (And he hasn't made anything of quality, lol), but it was the one example I could think of off the top of my head.
  • waitwaitwait. Are you even American?
    That depends, is it tuesday?
    comment posted at 3:47 AM?
    The evidence mounts
    The evidence mounts

The evidence mounts
    Hey, to be fair, I am a geek - a group of people notorious for having very strange sleeping habits.

• I'm an American, and I'm posting at 5 AM.