This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC Tribes 2 Server (Interest?)

edited November 2011 in Video Games
On and off, I've been looking into what it takes to run an FRC Tribes 2 server. If I can get my hands on a Windows or Linux server instance (TribesNext needs Windows or WINE.) with TSL/SSL/Telnet and something for Cyberduck to connect to, I can probably have it running in short order.
I'm going to get this running on my main PC via Virtualbox (Running WINE in Linux in Windows may seem odd but I'm assuming most servers are going to be Linux.) and dial in with my laptop to get the setup right (WINE first, but Windows as a fallback.); Probably within the week.

Planned server setup:
32 player to get started.
Running the Tricon admin mod. Manual and Quickstart guide.
Base ruleset, maybe changing to Ver2 or Classic for speed-freaks later on.
Maps: Katabatic only to begin. Also Mapvote with a few extra maps (CircleofStones, DeathbirdsFly, ThinIce, RiverDance, etc..).
Voicechat = ???.

My 45Kb/s upload speed isn't going to cut it, if anyone does have a spare server VM on a campus computer or similar and can set up the two ports in the quickstart guide, please let me know. I'll be testing internally sometime in the week.
Any suggestions?

Is there anything like Linode designed for things requiring high CPU utilization?

As a random aside, I found this handy online server list.
Post edited by Omnutia on

Comments

• If this happens, I will feel obligated to play. I know exactly where my Tribes 2 CD is (three feet behind me, in the second shoebox from the bottom). I don't know if that even does me any good anymore, but I would play.
  • Jesus, I don't even know if I'll be worth a pinch of piss anymore. But I'd give it a crack.
  • If I can get it to work, I would love to join!
  • I'd be up for it. Especially if some play dates are setup so as to have full games.
    I'll also poke around for some VM space. I know my school had some VMware clusters setup, but I'm not actually there any more. So I may not be able access anything directly.
  • edited November 2011
    Been looking in the Linode forums and around Google, it seems that quite a few people run HL2/Source servers happily on Linodes so I'm thinking a basic 512 plan might be worth it for running just one server.

Anyway, going to download the Ubuntu Server pre-made VM. I could go with something like Debian or DSL but for now I want to get the basics in order.
    Edit: Looks like Cononical doesn't make one, going to do it myself.
  • If I recall, we tried this once before and had to use a bunch of janky 3rd party connectivity software to play since there were no true T2 servers in existence.
  • edited November 2011
    That was probably one of the other various games we tried to play again. If I remember, T2 was abandoned due to lack of server.

On that note, SSH and SFTP are set up as I want them, as is WINE.
    Moving on to installing TNext and getting it transfered over and set up.

Obviously, the longest part of the process is setting up Windows networking to get the files from another machine to my laptop.
  • If you need a comparison, the TF2 server was running both a web server and the TF2 server on a basic 512, as you put it.
  • I'm currently uploading the files to the test server and listening to Guns N Roses.
    When I'm uploading the half gig of game files over 45KB/s instead of LAN, it's going to take a while..
  • edited November 2011
    That was easier than I thought it would be.
    Now for configuring.
  • Wow, there's still Meltdown 2 servers. No Meltdown 3 though. I'm guessing a lot of that population is bots though...
  • edited November 2011
    It'll be a while before it's added to the main server list, but here it is using Insert + External IP.
    Not playable though. There's an error I'm working on and my connection isn't usable anyway.

Shut down the VM for the day. I'll work on it tomorrow.
  • edited November 2011
    That was probably one of the other various games we tried to play again. If I remember, T2 was abandoned due to lack of server.
    Yeah, I remember me and you were in-game at one point on a server, but lag was a major issue.

I'm definitely down for some Tribes though if you can get it running.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Getting a server to work is hard enough. The hard part is getting it to work on everyone's computer. It will be so much hassle that most people will just give up. Especially when you consider that Counter-Strike is two clicks away and works perfectly every time.
  • Does the games default installer/patcher still function correctly? I've got my original disks.
  • Does the games default installer/patcher still function correctly? I've got my original disks.
    From what I understand you gotta do a bunch of patches and hacks.
    From what I understand you just go to http://www.tribesnext.com/ download and install the game and the tribes next patch and it works.

From what I understand you just go to http://www.tribesnext.com/ download and install the game and the tribes next patch and it works.

I am the most dubious.

I am the most dubious.
    Managed to get to an server today with that. Didn't have time to play then it was just for to test if it works. After I finish watching Robocop I go to see if I can actually play. I'll report then.
  • So I played a bit of Tribes 2 Next. Managed to ski around, shoot some people and steal a flag once. So at least that works. To find a server that is not a bot orgy might end up being more tricky, but wasn't that this threads point all along? Getting a good server to play on.

I am the most dubious.
    If we can get definite confirmation that it is that simple, you can count me in. If not though, I'm not prepared to spend any amount of time futzing around to get this thing working.

I am the most dubious.
    If we can get definite confirmation that it is that simple, you can count me in. If not though, I'm not prepared to spend any amount of time futzing around to get this thing working.

Even if we do get it working, it's not worth playing without lots of players. I'm talking at least simultaneous players without bots.

What happens when you play Tribes with too few people is that the maps are just too big. Everyone can take their sweet ass time skiing around and jerking off. Anyone can easily cap flags whenever they want because there aren't enough defenders. Even you have people defending the flag itself, you need people covering all the escape routes. If I see you have nobody in the east, I'll leave a hoverbike over there. Then cap and drive no problem.
  • Apreche, a bunch of the servers on Tribes Next are way populated. If you just try a random game, you'll have a sweet ass time.
  • I never played any Tribes games before. Fortunately, tribesnext.com reports some populated servers, so Ill check it out. The only popular "old" MP game I've actually played is CS1.6.
  • There are some servers that have at least 20 people playing almost constantly. There are a few modifications to the base game, ( some of the packs are a little different, and the blaster is actually useful) but it was pretty close to the original experience.
  • edited November 2011
    I probably see fewer players being in the GMT timezone but there's fun in the Goon Haven most nights, it's mostly the map selection that I have trouble with.

Anyone find a server down the back of the sofa? I'm tempted to get the Linode if I can run an Apache server on it as well to serve a blog or two.
  • There are some servers that have at least 20 people playing almost constantly. There are a few modifications to the base game, ( some of the packs are a little different, and the blaster is actually useful) but it was pretty close to the original experience.
    Yeah, the blaster is so useless.
  • Okay seriously, this shit works perfectly. Download the game (torrent), and the patch, from the website and run them one after the other. Boots up and plays fine. Barely anyone online right now though (1 A.M.). Goon Swarm has 16 people.

On a side note, does anyone want to help me learn to not suck ass? I just played Tribes:Ascend and that was my first Tribes experience other than a brief encounter with Tribes 2 before. I seem to suck at maintaining momentum.
  • edited November 2011
    Read this.

http://www.dansdata.com/t2bastard.htm

I play the game pretty much exactly like this. Except I use the sensor jammer pack (it's amazing how people just wont shoot at you if there isn't a little red arrow designating you as an enemy).
    Post edited by Lord Mordrek on
  • If you're going to use that high-ground guard tactic, make sure you use your targeting laser to spot enemies for your team if you can't get them with the missile launcher.