This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SOPA / Protect IP

Comments

• Odd... guess you're right. Seems like whenever I got mine, I always got a credit score.
  • Odd... guess you're right. Seems like whenever I got mine, I always got a credit score.
    I remember two of the main services gave me my credit score... but one didn't.

• It would be better if it included February as well.
  • Congress has already dropped the bills. They're not gonna vote on them. What's the point?
  • edited January 2012
    It would be better if it included February as well.
    While I do agree I think if they did that would have far less support for this than they will get by waiting till March, although that was my thought when I first heard about this before I heard how many people signed petitions against SOPA/PIPA. If all of the websites that participated in the black out decided to sponsor this then I agree, it would have been better to include February.
    Congress has already dropped the bills. They're not gonna vote on them. What's the point?
    They will just come back in a new form with a different name. This seems to be a campaign to scare them into making a more sensible bill the next time.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Look, guys, shutting down Megaupload was legit. Anything and everything legitimate that would be posted on there either gets posted on Youtube or Vimeo. The only thing I used Megaupload for was streaming TV shows. I will miss Megaupload. I have fond memories of watching Daria and Penguindrum on there, but I'm not going to pretend they shouldn't have been taken down.

Anyway, Black March won't be affecting me much, seeing as I'm broke. I just have to see "The Artist" before then, and I'll be all set to do the same shit I've been doing for the last two months: squeezing every last drop of enjoyment out of MK7, Daria, and Utena.
  • Look, guys, shutting down Megaupload was legit. Anything and everything legitimate that would be posted on there either gets posted on Youtube or Vimeo. The only thing I used Megaupload for was streaming TV shows. I will miss Megaupload. I have fond memories of watching Daria and Penguindrum on there, but I'm not going to pretend they shouldn't have been taken down.

Anyway, Black March won't be affecting me much, seeing as I'm broke. I just have to see "The Artist" before then, and I'll be all set to do the same shit I've been doing for the last two months: squeezing every last drop of enjoyment out of MK7, Daria, and Utena.
    There are people who paid for MegaUpload and stored their personal and/or non-infringing files on there. Now their files are gone, and they aren't even getting refunds for the service they paid for.
  • Fair enough, but it was a sinking ship. Complaining about it is like if you ordered gold from some pirates, but they were arrested before the could get to you, so you complain to the navy "Hey, those pirates owe me gold!" or something more coherent. I haven't slept in ~15 hours so I'm not in peak shape.
  • Investment firms are turning against Hollywood as a result of SOPA. Good news. SOPA and PIPA may have royally fucked public opinion of Hollywood to the point where it actually hastens their demise--or at least the death of the major studios in their present form.
  • Investment firms are turning against Hollywood as a result of SOPA. Good news. SOPA and PIPA may have royally fucked public opinion of Hollywood to the point where it actually hastens their demise--or at least the death of the major studios in their present form.
    YCombinator isn't what you think it is. They invest in tech startups. They want to invest in tech companies that can compete with Hollywood. Hollywood investors are not pulling their money out of movies, tv, and music.
  • Wait, we want Hollywood to die? I thought we wanted them to change their behavior.
  • edited January 2012
    Ah. Well. Money still talks; it's nice to see progress of any form.
    Wait, we want Hollywood to die? I thought we wanted them to change their behavior.
    That's why I added the dashes.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Wait, we want Hollywood to die? I thought we wanted them to change their behavior.
    or die.
  • Why would anyone want Hollywood to outright die?
  • Congress has already dropped the bills. They're not gonna vote on them. What's the point?
    They'll be back. They'll just fiddle with them and say they "fixed" the problems.
  • Why would anyone want Hollywood to outright die?
    Pretentious film students?
  • Hollywood is against progress. We've given them 30 years to stop being assholes and change themselves for the computer era. Not only did they refuse, but they use their power for downright evil. Filmmakers and musicians will carry on if Hollywood is dead. Hell, even the middlemen will found smaller, just-as-evil companies. But they won't be a powerful, cohesive force anymore.
    They'll never change, they'll die before they ever adapt to the new world. Survival of the fittest, they just happened to be the biggest for a long time and now they can't compete with new forms of data dispersal.
  • edited January 2012
    See, I really don't want to hurt the film and videogame industry so violently. The people who it will damage in the short term are people like me and my friends, who just want to make art and get paid for it. It's the fault of the management for not realizing how to sell the art in the proper way. I just don't want to see the short term collateral damage of everyday animators and filmmakers being kicked to the curb. I'd like to ease into it, without mass layoffs. However, similarly, my dad works at Kodak, and due to bad decisions the company has been stuck in the past and bet on poor investments. I suppose come what may he will still be an engineer and I will still make animation. Somehow.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Kodak fucked up big time, invented digital cameras and said no to the future.
  • edited January 2012
    Oh, you are preaching to the choir. They pioneered the technology and then decided they would concentrate on film. Sigh.
    Basically, I'm saying I'm also a piece of an industry that is stuck in the past, and while it's fine to make bold statements about the entertainment industry sucking, most of us are competent people who just want to work.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited January 2012
    The author of SOPA attempts to defend his bill. This is a hollow propaganda piece if there ever was one (of course, on FOX News). He does absolutely nothing to explain how the bill works, or address the problems the bill is being criticized for (because obviously he can't. The problems in the bill are real). Instead he engages in fearmongering and an ad hominem attack against Google based on a court case he doesn't explain in the slightest or even fully cite (again, for obvious reasons).

The biggest joke of course is that Google was absolutely and completely compliant in the requests by the U.S. government in that pharmacy case he cites. The settlement came to be because Google didn't act quickly enough. In fact, what the Google case shows is that the government already has plenty of tools to stop piracy already, and this SOPA shit is wholly and completely unnecessary, in addition to all the problems it generates.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I buy music, dvds, books, and videogames very infrequently. The only difference Black March would make for me is that I would have to wait to see The Hunger Games. Fuck that.

Also, I doubt enough people would participate to make a noticeable difference in the balance sheet.
  • I don't buy enough shit to justify me participating in Black March anyway.

And shouldn't it be Red March since "in the black" means they're MAKING money?
  • And shouldn't it be Red March since "in the black" means they're MAKING money?
  • I would have to wait to see The Hunger Games. Fuck that.
    YEP. I will be at the theaters on that Friday.
  • I would have to wait to see The Hunger Games. Fuck that.
    YEP. I will be at the theaters on that Friday.
    Just sneak your own food in (as long as it is a chain theater).
  • edited January 2012
    Just sneak your own food in (as long as it is a chain theater).
    This should already be SOP.

Box of Milk Duds at Regal: $3.75.
    Larger box of Milk Duds at the Drug Mart across the parking lot: $1.
    Post edited by Jason on