This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SOPA / Protect IP

Comments

• To be fair, 4chan was protesting in favor of Jim Crow laws.
  • Reddit will be blacking out from 8am-8pm EST all day next Wednesday, January 18, in opposition of SOPA. Sorry, non-Americans, but this is more important than looking at cat pictures and talking about dicks when you should be working. :P

http://blog.reddit.com/2012/01/stopped-they-must-be-on-this-all.html
    This is pretty fantastic. I just hope Facebook does something similar to this too.

• That's just brilliant. Why is the MPAA so much better at marketing their side than we are at marketing our side? We should be giving people the words to say, not the MPAA.
  • That's just brilliant. Why is the MPAA so much better at marketing their side than we are at marketing our side? We should be giving people the words to say, not the MPAA.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I suppose so. They have money to pay people to write emails/letters/call/take out to dinner anyone involved in this, and give them their side of the story, which they then can parrot. I also tend to think it's a fundamental flaw with "activism". We get really angry about things and gripe about it on forums and to each other and maybe a third party who is on the fence about it, while the MPAA knows where it stands, finds some words that sound good, and force those in front of the press and politicians. So of course the politicians and press is going to listen to the MPAA. The MPAA is talking to them, not itself.
  • This is why the EFF is important. If you believe this sort of stuff is important, the donate button is right there.
  • This is why the EFF is important. If you believe this sort of stuff is important, the donate button is right there.
    For sure. EFF is awesome at this sort of thing, although my money is pretty tight since Christmas so instead I wrote up a lengthy news-friendly summary and sent it to my local media outlets.
    Because that is what they do for a living?

• So, will this site be taking part in the anti-SOPA blackout on January 18th?
  • So, will this site be taking part in the anti-SOPA blackout on January 18th?
    Why would it? The point of the blackout is to raise awareness of what can and probably will happen when SOPA is enacted. Everybody who visits this forum pretty much is already aware of what SOPA is, and how shitty it would be if it's enacted.

Perhaps the main page could though, but I'm not sure what the traffic there is.

• Why would it? The point of the blackout is to raise awareness of what can and probably will happen when SOPA is enacted.
    Solidarity, bruthah.
  • Perhaps the main page could though, but I'm not sure what the traffic there is.
    I'd imagine it's pretty light. Most people automatically download their podcasts without going to the actual website.
  • So a Redditor got Jon Stewart to mention SOPA in passing. Apparently he's going to read up on it.
  • So, will this site be taking part in Preach to the Choir Day 2012?
  • So, will this site be taking part in Preach to the Choir Day 2012?
    Oh you're right, we should all just do nothing.
  • edited January 2012
    Edit - Eh fuck it, I know how this ends.
    Post edited by WarDead on
  • I don't think there is a point to blacking out this site. Most of the Forumites already know about the dangers of SOPA, so a FRC blackout won't really benefit anyone.
  • Yeah, pretty much. I recognize that you're new, but still, not the place to pick that particular fight, it won't get you anything but frustration.
  • I will wholeheartedly support any site that will join in on the blackout. I just don't see the point for this forum to participate in it.
  • edited January 2012
    Hey guys, Vermont has a smart senator! Though it might not be enough.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Here's some grade A lunacy, courtesy of FSTDT.
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
  • What on earth does "alliterative moral structures" mean?
    If you replace "all Christians" with "nobody", it reads fine.
  • Hey guys, Vermont has a smart senator! Though it might not be enough.
    He's not that smart. He's one of the principal authors of the original PIPA bill.
  • If Reddit's gone, I need something to keep my mind off work. Can't black out this site too.